Auto-train

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Auto-train

Post by martyn94 »

SNCF are apparently running a car-on the-train service from Perpignan to Paris, and vice-versa, over the summer season, three times a week. I have done it a dozen times from various places, latterly Narbonne, over the decades, and often wondered why I haven’t done it more.

The deal is that you drop off your car at a dodgy railway siding at St Charles on D1 and get a shuttle to Perpignan to get a passenger TGV to Paris, and then collect your car from a dodgy railway siding near gare de Lyons on D2. Or else you drop it on D0 and then find your own way home, travel on a TGV on D1, and pick your car up when you arrive in Paris.

I’ve described it in a downbeat way because it isn’t very glamorous. But it can be a lot quicker, and less tedious, and even cheaper, than flogging up the autoroute.
[/i][/u]
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rhys »

I don't suppose they do it from Nantes or other places north/ west of Paris ( for those of us terrified of driving in unfamiliar huge cities ) ?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

rainbow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Fingers crossed

Post by rainbow »

The few times I've tried to board a train in France I would have been better on a ghost train they either don't appear or are delayed !
Best Wishes