Anyone know anything about Asphalt?

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Anyone know anything about Asphalt?

Post by Allan »

My neighbour and I share a driveway of about 400sq Metres.
It badly needs resurfacing.

Does anyone know anybody that lays this stuff?

Alternatively has anyone experience of laying it themselves? I have access to a lorry and labourers and I can hire equipment where necessary.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

None at all, except that I know people who have been ripped off by cowboys, and I have to suffer the useless patches done on my local roads in Normandy by my local cantonnier using cold-setting tarmac.

If you really mean 400 sq m (about the size of Centre Court, including the out-of-bounds) it must be worth having it done by professionals using hot tarmac and a roller. Even if it’s only 40 sq m, I would choose the same myself.
Apart from anything else, can you judge whether the existing surface needs fettling up before the new one is laid?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote:None at all, except that I know people who have been ripped off by cowboys, and I have to suffer the useless patches done on my local roads in Normandy by my local cantonnier using cold-setting tarmac.

If you really mean 400 sq m (about the size of Centre Court, including the out-of-bounds) it must be worth having it done by professionals using hot tarmac and a roller. Even if it?s only 40 sq m, I would choose the same myself.
Apart from anything else, can you judge whether the existing surface needs fettling up before the new one is laid?
Yes it really is 400sq m but the wrong shape for tennis.
The underlying surface is pretty sound.
I'm not sure that anyone uses Tarmac anymore for drives, Asphalt is far more common and not the same thing.
I fully expect to use hot material and a roller.

The last time it was done, the neighbours hailed a passing Irishman who conveniently had a load left over from a nearby job.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »