General Election

Something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? Voilà!
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

General Election

Post by alan »

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions please.

We have a second home in Port Vendres which is without a TV or connection to the internet. When General Elections happen, we usually stay up overnight to watch the results as they come in. This year, we shall be at our second home.

Other than booking into a hotel for the night, does anyone have any ideas as to how we can access, at least, the internet to keep up with results and commentary as they happen.

Alan
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

There may well be an ex-pat group in the area planning an election night party. Maybe, following this posting, some kind hearted soul will invite you. There are quite a few of your fellow countrymen living in the Argeles/Le Boulou/Ceret corridor.

Gus
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I see that all three of us live in Port-Vendres, and also that Gus is not inviting you round to him. Nor do I, though I would be happy to meet you under less depressing circs. Staying up late for a turkey-shoot is no longer my idea of fun. The news will be quite bad enough, and not greatly different from what you expected, in the morning.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: General Election

Post by martyn94 »

alan wrote:I wonder if anyone has any suggestions please.

We have a second home in Port Vendres which is without a TV or connection to the internet. When General Elections happen, we usually stay up overnight to watch the results as they come in. This year, we shall be at our second home.

Other than booking into a hotel for the night, does anyone have any ideas as to how we can access, at least, the internet to keep up with results and commentary as they happen.

Alan
On a whole other tack, if you have an Orange phone line you can get short-term internet service (by the month) quite cheaply, and small TVs don't cost the earth.
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

Thanks for the suggestions. We don't have a phone line and a small TV would only give us access, presumably, to French TV which is not going to have the detailed coverage we would like.

We are not looking for an invitation to a party but information and informed commentary as the night progresses.

Alan
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

SPOILER ALERT: The Conservatives won by a mile.

Now you can have an early night!
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Surely if you get access to the internet you would get all the coverage that you need.

There are many ways of getting temporary internet, normally involving 3G or 4G. You can get this by getting a dongle and buying a data package or get a month's free trial with Bouygue's 4G box.
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

Allan

I have sent you a pm.

Alan
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

alan wrote: as the night progresses.
Is that a promise? Though in a purely metrological sense, it has got to be true. Allan has no doubt filled you in about what you might do.

It's strange to have two elections going at once which excite so little enthusiasm between them, though I would vote here through gritted teeth if I had one.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

alan wrote:Allan

I have sent you a pm.

Alan
I haven't received a pm
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

I have sent a couple but they don't seem to have reached you although I did receive a pm you sent to me.

All I was asking was for a specific recommendation on something that I can use with my laptop and which will both work in PV and is relatively foolproof. As it is, when we want to access the internet, we go down to a local bar which obviously isn't an option for election night.

At home, our internet is provided by BT and once on holiday at our house in PV we were able to access the internet through FON but that is no longer available.

Anyway your advice would be much appreciated.

Alan
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

alan wrote:I have sent a couple but they don't seem to have reached you although I did receive a pm you sent to me.

All I was asking was for a specific recommendation on something that I can use with my laptop and which will both work in PV and is relatively foolproof. As it is, when we want to access the internet, we go down to a local bar which obviously isn't an option for election night.

At home, our internet is provided by BT and once on holiday at our house in PV we were able to access the internet through FON but that is no longer available.

Anyway your advice would be much appreciated.

Alan
I would need to know your address in PV to see what is available there. I have sent you a pm with my email address
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

Received and have replied.

Many thanks

Alan
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

Webdoc wrote:SPOILER ALERT: The Conservatives won by a mile.

Now you can have an early night!
I never said that. It wasn't me. Fake news!