Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

jecjcr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Solicitor required - problem following sale of house

Post by jecjcr »

Hi all
Having owned a house near Prades for over 10 years, we had the opportunity to sell this January. During the storm of 24th March some water came through the roof.
The buyer is now claiming that the property had a 'hidden defect'.
At the moment we are still talking, but I fear that this could end up in court.
Could anyone recommend an English speaking solicitor / lawyer. Our French serves for everyday use, but this needs to be dealt with in English.
Extremely grateful to anyone who can offer us some advice and guidance - thanks in advance.
John Currer
John & Jane
Bagshot & Prades
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

Hi. Friends have used a lawyer called Slatkin. If you google you should beabe to find the contact details. Speaks English and is in Perpignan.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

It might be useful to start by looking at the "acte de vente". It's normal for private sellers of secondhand houses to exclude liability for "vices cachés". This will do you no good if your buyer can show that you knew of the "vice" at the time of sale: but since I assume you didn't (if indeed there was one), you should be able to tell them to get lost. If the contract didn't include this clause you may have recourse against the notaire. There are no solicitors here (unless they are Brits who are dual qualified) but plenty of lawyers.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

tia wrote:Hi. Friends have used a lawyer called Slatkin. If you google you should beabe to find the contact details. Speaks English and is in Perpignan.
A friend of mine is also using Slatkin. It's too early to tell whether he will actually achieve anything, but at least he seems inclined not to go mad with the bills. Though you'll want to be clear what you are committing yourself to.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

If you own another property in France, and it is insured, might be worth checking for "Assistance Juridique" as part of the cover.

Gus
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

RECEIVED BY EMAIL

Someone on the forum is looking for an english speaking notaire. I can highly recommend the following person.

Luce BROUSSE-CHAMICHIAN

RESIDENCE SAINT ANDRE
RUE DU DOCTEUR EMILE PARES
BP 71
66602 - RIVESALTES CEDEX

Téléphone : 04.68.64.03.71
Fax : 04.68.64.68.58

Courriel : l.brousse@notaires.fr
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Kate wrote:RECEIVED BY EMAIL

Someone on the forum is looking for an english speaking notaire. I can highly recommend the following person.

Luce BROUSSE-CHAMICHIAN

RESIDENCE SAINT ANDRE
RUE DU DOCTEUR EMILE PARES
BP 71
66602 - RIVESALTES CEDEX

Téléphone : 04.68.64.03.71
Fax : 04.68.64.68.58

Courriel : l.brousse@notaires.fr
Is a notaire the right sort of lawyer here? I thought that they did not do the sort of "contentious" work in question here - representing one side in a dispute - though I do not say so with any great confidence.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hmmmm, good point. But at least one of these notaires might be able to advise of the right people to go to I suppose.
Sweaty Betty
Rank 2
Rank 2

English speaking notaire

Post by Sweaty Betty »

May I suggest Maitre Phillippe at Argeles sur Mer - he studied in UK and as so has clear understanding of both systems. Bon Courage.
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

Andre Slatkin

23 Rue de La Sardane
Perpignan

0468 352406

He is French/Canadian and is bi-lingual

I was very satisfied with advice he gave me....and I'm a retired UK solicitor !!

I am sure he will be able to advise you
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Nigel wrote:Andre Slatkin

23 Rue de La Sardane
Perpignan

0468 352406

He is French/Canadian and is bi-lingual

I was very satisfied with advice he gave me....and I'm a retired UK solicitor !!

I am sure he will be able to advise you
That's already been said, twice. But evidently he's not too bad..
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

I am sure he would be pleased to see your comment on him
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Nigel wrote:I am sure he would be pleased to see your comment on him
I cannot imagine why: I have never been his client. I have been fortunate enough not to have needed lawyers in a private capacity, apart from buying houses and making wills. My point was only that yours was the third recommendation for him: I am sure that yours carries more weight, but it might have been courteous to give a nod to the previous two (assuming you had read the thread before adding to it).