Free, ADSL and landlines

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Free, ADSL and landlines

Post by Allan »

I am thinking of subscribing to Free for an internet connection, however, I emphatically do not want to switch from a fixed telephone line.

When I look at their website, they appear to suggest that if I want to keep my same number, I have to transfer it to them which I don't want to do.

To be honest, I don't really want to use the Freebox and its associated services, I just want the discounts and unlimited 4G that a freebox subscription would entitle me to.

Does anyone know if Free will provide ADSL on an Orange landline, without transferring the number.

Yes I know I could phone Free but previous calls have all taken an eternity to get a response.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

before moving to orange for our adsl we were with aliceadsl which became Freeadsl, we kept our France Telecom/orange landline with its number and had a different number with alice/free contract. so we had 2 phones. the landline just plugged into a phone socket and the other into the Freebox.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Free, ADSL and landlines

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:
To be honest, I don't really want to use the Freebox and its associated services, I just want the discounts and unlimited 4G that a freebox subscription would entitle me to.

Does anyone know if Free will provide ADSL on an Orange landline, without transferring the number.
I don't imagine that they would, if they have taken the trouble to "degroup" themselves by putting their own kit into your local exchange. I don't honestly understand what your issue is: but you can of course get Free mobile service without a DSL contract. You pay an extra €4 a month, and only get 100 gigs of data: but who over twenty would want more?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote:
Allan wrote:

I don't imagine that they would, if they have taken the trouble to "degroup" themselves by putting their own kit into your local exchange. I don't honestly understand what your issue is: but you can of course get Free mobile service without a DSL contract. You pay an extra €4 a month, and only get 100 gigs of data: but who over twenty would want more?
Firstly, the answer to your last question is me, I regularly use more than 100GB of 4G per month and I have a general aversion to being limited.

If I pay Free 29€ a month then I save 8€ on our 2 mobile phones so for 21€ extra I get unlimited 4G.

As far as the phone line is concerned, I'm not bothered who the bill comes from but it will be the same phone line whoever the provider is. I have had 10 years of ADSL faults on it that never get resolved so I have no interest in having a VOIP telephone which I believe is what Free offer.

When the ADSL failed the phone kept on working.

Because of the ADSL problems I installed Tooway satellite which was more reliable but performed badly. I now use 4G as my internet connection which is fast and fairly reliable but it would be nice to control the cost, hence my interest in unlimited 4G.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:
martyn94 wrote:
Allan wrote:

Firstly, the answer to your last question is me
I guess I asked for that, now I know what your setup is. I've never myself had ADSL bandwidth so bad that the phone didn't work. You do lose it if there's a power cut, but two mobile phones give a degree of fallback. You could maybe just get a second line.

I don't like being limited either ("I am large, I contain multitudes", like the man said). But you can get used to it.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote: I've never myself had ADSL bandwidth so bad that the phone didn't work. You do lose it if there's a power cut, but two mobile phones give a degree of fallback. You could maybe just get a second line.

I don't like being limited either ("I am large, I contain multitudes", like the man said). But you can get used to it.
When I used ADSL it would go down whenever there was a strong wind, sometimes for days at a time.

Mobiles are ok but I prefer to have a line that works for incoming calls, how else would I know which solar panels or health insurance to buy, or be able to laugh at Indians pretending to be Microsoft.

Limiting my use is not really an option, firstly it is an alien concept and secondly my income depends on it.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

we kept our landline whilst with Free for the same reason, as didn't want to just rely on their internet phone.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:
martyn94 wrote: I've never myself had ADSL bandwidth so bad that the phone didn't work. You do lose it if there's a power cut, but two mobile phones give a degree of fallback. You could maybe just get a second line.

When I used ADSL it would go down whenever there was a strong wind, sometimes for days at a time.

Mobiles are ok but I prefer to have a line that works for incoming calls, how else would I know which solar panels or health insurance to buy, or be able to laugh at Indians pretending to be Microsoft.

Limiting my use is not really an option, firstly it is an alien concept and secondly my income depends on it.
i know it's not really an answer, but if your incoming landline calls on Free are missed, or go to voicemail, (assuming you had a dodgy VOIP connection), you can get them to send you an email about it (plus the voice file if there's a voicemail message). You could get incoming calls on your landline diverted to your mobile, either unconditionally or after a period of "non-réponse" on the landline, but you do have to pay a bit for that. Some details are here

http://www.free.fr/assistance/2177.html#step-2183
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:

Never mind the wind, at my older place in 76, I have half the chasseurs in the Seine-Maritime blasting merry hell out of my phone line: I think they believe that it's a very funny-shaped pheasant. And that really is "silence radio": no ADSL (even out of the hunting season), no phone, and obviously no mobile phone signal.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote: i know it's not really an answer, but if your incoming landline calls on Free are missed, or go to voicemail, (assuming you had a dodgy VOIP connection), you can get them to send you an email about it (plus the voice file if there's a voicemail message). You could get incoming calls on your landline diverted to your mobile, either unconditionally or after a period of "non-réponse" on the landline, but you do have to pay a bit for that. Some details are here

Thanks for your efforts Martyn but you are right, it's not really an answer, I hold this quaint notion that phones should ring when called and work when you dial. I also have a sophisticated call blocking system that works on a landline but not a mobile. The other factor is that mobile calls don't always work where I live.

I suppose that I should do what I should have done in the first place and ask Free
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:
martyn94 wrote: i know it's not really an answer, but if your incoming landline calls on Free are missed, or go to voicemail, (assuming you had a dodgy VOIP connection), you can get them to send you an email about it (plus the voice file if there's a voicemail message). You could get incoming calls on your landline diverted to your mobile, either unconditionally or after a period of "non-réponse" on the landline, but you do have to pay a bit for that. Some details are here

Thanks for your efforts Martyn but you are right, it's not really an answer, I hold this quaint notion that phones should ring when called and work when you dial. I also have a sophisticated call blocking system that works on a landline but not a mobile. The other factor is that mobile calls don't always work where I live.

I suppose that I should do what I should have done in the first place and ask Free
I've found Free pretty helpful on the odd times I've called them. According to montgolfière you may in any event be able to do what I guessed you couldn't: keep your orange line. I only thank my stars that my living no longer depends on anyone getting me on the phone: if anything I'm content that they fail - if they really mean it they will try again.

One tiny query, and I can't begin to guess the answer. If you have a sophisticated call-blocking system on your landline, wouldn't it just block a naughty call before any question ever arose of it being redirected to your mobile? Or is it something that works only an Orange copper line but not on a Free VOIP? This way madness lies; there's a lot to be said for Morse code or signal flags.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote:
One tiny query, and I can't begin to guess the answer. If you have a sophisticated call-blocking system on your landline, wouldn't it just block a naughty call before any question ever arose of it being redirected to your mobile? Or is it something that works only an Orange copper line but not on a Free VOIP? This way madness lies; there's a lot to be said for Morse code or signal flags.
If you use call redirection, it happens at the exchange so doesn't come near my phone line.

The call blocker sits between the incoming phone line and my master telephone. It could probably sit between the telephone socket on a Freebox and the master phone but would obviously be of no use of the internet died
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:
martyn94 wrote:
It could probably sit between the telephone socket on a Freebox and the master phone but would obviously be of no use of the internet died

It struck me walking back from Intermarché that I had really had no idea what your sophisticated call blocker was meant to do, or how it was doing it. If the VOIP line is dead, then there doesn't seem much need to block much but perhaps I'm missing something. If it's live, Free allow you to block calls on particular numbers, or particular ranges of numbers, inwards and outwards, backwards forwards and sideways, if you type it all in, which could admittedly be very tedious.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote:It struck me walking back from Intermarché that I had really had no idea what your sophisticated call blocker was meant to do, or how it was doing it. If the VOIP line is dead, then there doesn't seem much need to block much but perhaps I'm missing something. If it's live, Free allow you to block calls on particular numbers, or particular ranges of numbers, inwards and outwards, backwards forwards and sideways, if you type it all in, which could admittedly be very tedious.
Nice to know that you think of me when walking home from Intermarché .

First of all, if I relied on the Freebox to provide a telephone service then it would only work for 4 days a week because of the poor line so I wouldn't use it however good their call blocking.

My call blocker allows me to blacklist or whitelist numbers or ranges of numbers but more importantly it intercepts calls that I may not want and asks the caller to say who they are? Most cold callers hang up at that stage and the rest I get to choose if I want to speak to them or not.

If I don't want to speak to them they get blacklisted and transferred to a "bugger off and don't call' back" message. If I do want to speak to them, I can answer the call or send them to voicemail and optionally whitelist them.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

martyn94 wrote:
Allan wrote:
martyn94 wrote: . According to montgolfière you may in any event be able to do what I guessed you couldn't: keep your orange line.

orange are only too happy to take your 18€ a month for a landline, we only got rid of ours a couple of months ago and in the end we were also able to transfer the number to our voip phone
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:
martyn94 wrote:It struck me walking back from Intermarché that I had really had no idea what your sophisticated call blocker was meant to do, or how it was doing it. If the VOIP line is dead, then there doesn't seem much need to block much but perhaps I'm missing something. If it's live, Free allow you to block calls on particular numbers, or particular ranges of numbers, inwards and outwards, backwards forwards and sideways, if you type it all in, which could admittedly be very tedious.
Nice to know that you think of me when walking home from Intermarché .

First of all, if I relied on the Freebox to provide a telephone service then it would only work for 4 days a week because of the poor line so I wouldn't use it however good their call blocking.

My call blocker allows me to blacklist or whitelist numbers or ranges of numbers but more importantly it intercepts calls that I may not want and asks the caller to say who they are? Most cold callers hang up at that stage and the rest I get to choose if I want to speak to them or not.

If I don't want to speak to them they get blacklisted and transferred to a "bugger off and don't call' back" message. If I do want to speak to them, I can answer the call or send them to voicemail and optionally whitelist them.
Thank god I don't get the torrent of junk calls that would make me find and fit this kit, and (more so) remember how to use it. I used to have almost the reverse issue many years ago: a guy who worked for me used to wait until everything went through to his answerphone (remember them?), on speaker, before deciding whether to deign to reply. Phones were regarded as an awful nuisance in parts of the civil service in those days.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

For what its worth.

Just received an e-mail from Orange saying they've improved my Internet speed. Which was never bad in the first place! I moved to phone calls via VOIP a while back. Never had a problem and, of course, kept my old number.

Many years back I signed up for the Orange service which keeps my phone number out of the printed directory and makes it unavailable to 3rd parties who buy info from Orange for tele-marketing. Can't recall what the service is called now. It has changed name a couple of times. I got it when it was offered free of charge. Works like a dream.

Gus
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

Just signed up to Free.fr and was going to sugest it to you Allan as you have poor internet which you needed 4G to solve.

Kept landline no. and benefit for all our phones being on the plan so we both get the lower priceed calls, SMS, MMS & 4G as well as being able to use the plan in loads of countries (especially UK for business trips) but you just have 5GB per month data whuilst roaming.

Landline here gets 3-5Mbs but the 4G is 55+Mbs. Have tested the data sevice and there is no throttling at all.
4K movies stream without issue. and 1080p live TV is not a problem.

If you can get Free 4G in the PO area it is a great deal. Argeles was getting sub 2Mbs so it really is worth the switch.

The Staff at the Free shop are excellent as well.

So refreshing to get great service and product.
The Best UK TV in France- No Dish - No PC - NO VPN - 100% legal Just �145
Visit www.moochie.media or find us in the Anglophone Directory.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Boomshanka wrote:Just signed up to Free.fr and was going to sugest it to you Allan as you have poor internet which you needed 4G to solve.

Kept landline no. and benefit for all our phones being on the plan so we both get the lower priceed calls, SMS, MMS & 4G as well as being able to use the plan in loads of countries (especially UK for business trips) but you just have 5GB per month data whuilst roaming.

Landline here gets 3-5Mbs but the 4G is 55+Mbs. Have tested the data sevice and there is no throttling at all.
4K movies stream without issue. and 1080p live TV is not a problem.

If you can get Free 4G in the PO area it is a great deal. Argeles was getting sub 2Mbs so it really is worth the switch.

The Staff at the Free shop are excellent as well.

So refreshing to get great service and product.
It is not the landline number that I am bothered about, it is the landline itself. If I switched to a VoIP phone it would be as unreliable as ADSL and since it will be the same line as I used with Orange then I would expect it to be unreliable.

Montgolfière says that he kept his landline but his contract was with Alice and may not be relevant. As it happens, I have run some tests with Free 4G, less than 1km from my house I get extremely fast 4G but actually at my house I only get a download speed of about 3mb and that's with a roof antenna.

It looks like I may have to wait for them to bring another mast on-line, then I will ask Free about the landline. Until then I'll stick with Bouygues 4G at a significantly higher cost.

On a slightly different topic, I seem to recall that Free restricted their cellular internet phones and not tablets or routers. I can't see any such restriction there now, or have I missed it?
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

Here you go Allan and anyone else in the PO area.
4G data internet which is excellent in the PO for €30 a month

https://www.bouyguestelecom.fr/offres-internet/4g-box
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

There seems to be a bit of confusion here about landlines.

Unless you have fibre to the home, both ADSL and the Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) are delivered over a twisted copper pair landline. They are not separated physically but by frequency. It's a bit like tuning between different stations on an old analogue radio.

In France the copper pairs are owned by Orange (formerly France Telecom) and they will always be able to provide POTS over their line.

Russell
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

russell wrote:There seems to be a bit of confusion here about landlines.

Unless you have fibre to the home, both ADSL and the Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) are delivered over a twisted copper pair landline. They are not separated physically but by frequency. It's a bit like tuning between different stations on an old analogue radio.

In France the copper pairs are owned by Orange (formerly France Telecom) and they will always be able to provide POTS over their line.

Russell
I think that Allan's issue is that switching to a "degrouped " provider, like Free, normally means giving up your POTS and relying on their ADSL, including their VOIP phone service. It's still the same old twisted pair, but it's done differently. It never struck me to find out whether I could keep my POTS once I moved to Free: their VOIP has been fine for me, and I was content to save the extra rental, and stop mucking about with filters on my landline. It was also useful to search out and remove the condensers that messed up my internet speed.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Boomshanka wrote:Here you go Allan and anyone else in the PO area.

I have to say this looks brilliant but they don't say anything on their website about any data limitations.

Their site tells me that I cannot get the service at my house, even though I currently connect to them at more than 30mb.

I'll go and speak to them.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote:
russell wrote:There seems to be a bit of confusion here about landlines.

Russell
I think that Allan's issue is that switching to a "degrouped " provider, like Free, normally means giving up your POTS and relying on their ADSL, including their VOIP phone service. It's still the same old twisted pair, but it's done differently. It never struck me to find out whether I could keep my POTS once I moved to Free: their VOIP has been fine for me, and I was content to save the extra rental, and stop mucking about with filters on my landline. It was also useful to search out and remove the condensers that messed up my internet speed.
Exactly, I am well aware of the difference.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:
Boomshanka wrote:Here you go Allan and anyone else in the PO area.

I have to say this looks brilliant but they don't say anything on their website about any data limitations.

Their site tells me that I cannot get the service at my house, even though I currently connect to them at more than 30mb.

I'll go and speak to them.
I nearly mentioned this myself, but you've always seemed so much on top of all this that I didn't bother (I looked at it for my gaff in Normandy, where their map says I have no reception, but would have 200m away, on the other side of the ridge, which seems about right). I believe they offer to give you a refund if you don't get decent service.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote:
Allan wrote:
I nearly mentioned this myself, but you've always seemed so much on top of all this that I didn't bother (I looked at it for my gaff in Normandy, where their map says I have no reception, but would have 200m away, on the other side of the ridge, which seems about right). I believe they offer to give you a refund if you don't get decent service.
Bouygues have had a 4G offering for some time but it has always been limited to 40gb a month with no top-up option. This new offering doesn't mention any limitations and seems specifically aimed at people with poor or no ADSL .

I currently have 4G with Bouygues but billed through Travel Wifi but it costs me a lot, hence my interest in lower cost alternatives.

I wonder if the 4G infrastructure has now reached the point where they can afford not to limit it, though no doubt someone will have invented a 'fair use' policy that stops it ever from being unlimited.

In my case, I put an antenna on the roof which increased my speed from 5mb to more than 30mbs.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:
martyn94 wrote:
Allan wrote:
Bouygues have had a 4G offering for some time but it has always been limited to 40gb a month with no top-up option. This new offering doesn't mention any limitations and seems specifically aimed at people with poor or no ADSL .

I currently have 4G with Bouygues but billed through Travel Wifi but it costs me a lot, hence my interest in lower cost alternatives.

I wonder if the 4G infrastructure has now reached the point where they can afford not to limit it, though no doubt someone will have invented a 'fair use' policy that stops it ever from being unlimited.

In my case, I put an antenna on the roof which increased my speed from 5mb to more than 30mbs.
It was the new offering I was thinking of. There is nothing more annoying in the world than people who say "I almost told you about XYZ". But evidently you are more than up to speed.

I must check what a roof aerial would do for me in Normandy. Though in my case I would need an OK signal rather than sweet damn all.

I suspect that any operator will have some sort of "fair use" let out. And I can see why.
Boomshanka
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boomshanka »

Allan

This is exactly the same as the Travel Wifi but has no restrictions and will save you a fortune. You can even use the sim in your existing router.

All of the big providers are offering unlimited 4G packs now but only Bouygues offer a pure stand alone internet package. Free and SFR are via the mobile options.

This is what we wanted 12 months ago when i met you, unfortunately i was let down by Travel Wifi and you know the rest. This is why when i saw this i immediately though of you and how it will work and save you money.

This will benefit so many people in the area as the landlines are awful and Bouygues have great coverage over most of the area.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Boomshanka wrote:Allan

This is exactly the same as the Travel Wifi but has no restrictions and will save you a fortune. You can even use the sim in your existing router.

All of the big providers are offering unlimited 4G packs now but only Bouygues offer a pure stand alone internet package. Free and SFR are via the mobile options.

This is what we wanted 12 months ago when i met you, unfortunately i was let down by Travel Wifi and you know the rest. This is why when i saw this i immediately though of you and how it will work and save you money.

This will benefit so many people in the area as the landlines are awful and Bouygues have great coverage over most of the area.
Do you know all this as fact, or are you making suppositions?

Unfortunately their website says that the deal is not available at my address.

I put in another address close to the mast to which I connect and it said it was not available there either. It may be they are upgrading masts, or the infrastructure that connects those masts.

In any case I will speak with Bouygues.
Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb »

Bouygues put leaflets about this in our postboxes on Friday. I also looked for a data limit but saw none. So I have signed up for the trial 30 days.

I have asked around Saint Laurent de Cerdans for news about the Internet but nobody seemed to know anything. So this was a pleasant surprise.

Pearson