Driving to Spain - road conditions

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Leok
Rank 2
Rank 2

Driving to Spain - road conditions

Post by Leok »

Can anyone advise me as to what the road conditions are like in early March? Any snow or ice to worry about? I plan on driving to Figueres via the coast and return possibly on the highway.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Driving to Spain - road conditions

Post by martyn94 »

Leok wrote:Can anyone advise me as to what the road conditions are like in early March? Any snow or ice to worry about? I plan on driving to Figueres via the coast and return possibly on the highway.
Older hands than me might remember cases, but I think that it's vanishingly unlikely that there might be lying snow or ice on the coast road, and even less so on the autoroute.

But why not just look up Météo-France: their forecasts are now reaching well into March, and the lowest temperatures I can find down near the coast are about 10 degreesC in the early morning. Don't forget your sun screen.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

9th March 2010 we were knee deep in snow in Argeles. Not happened since. The weather is unpredictable.
Dylan
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Sue wrote:9th March 2010 we were knee deep in snow in Argeles. Not happened since. The weather is unpredictable.
Oh dear. And here was me trying to be reassuring. Of course it's not very predictable more than a short time away. But early March is now only four days off. I think Leok can safely leave his snowshoes at home.
Leok
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Leok »

martyn94 wrote:
Sue wrote:9th March 2010 we were knee deep in snow in Argeles. Not happened since. The weather is unpredictable.
Oh dear. And here was me trying to be reassuring. Of course it's not very predictable more than a short time away. But early March is now only four days off. I think Leok can safely leave his snowshoes at home.
No worry...the reason I asked was that I released this time of year can be unpredictable and wanted to hear fronm the locals as to their experience.

I always try to be prepared when travelling especially in mountanous areas.

Thnaks for the info.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Leok wrote:
martyn94 wrote:
Sue wrote: I always try to be prepared when travelling especially in mountanous areas.

Thnaks for the info.
Not really mountainous where you're going, if that's any comfort. The inland route (Col de Perthus) is surprisingly low at 290m maximum elevation: if Hannibal could do it with elephants (and no autoroute) you should have no probs. And the coastal route must be lower again, even at the highest: it's a corniche road which just climbs over the headlands when it needs to
Leok
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Leok »

Relief and love the reference to Hannibal!

Thanks again. :wink:
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Leok wrote:Can anyone advise me as to what the road conditions are like in early March? Any snow or ice to worry about? I plan on driving to Figueres via the coast and return possibly on the highway.
That's a difficult one!

Snow and ice are the least of your worries. There are two sets of roadworks in Banyuls with long delays. They were widening the D914 between Banyuls and Cerbere but that may be finished. During the last year the road has been closed because of mudslides, brush fires and traffic accidents. Heavy weather has been known to deposit the contents of the beach on the roads through Banyuls and Cerbere.

Seriously. If the weather looks good then go down the coast. Start at Argeles and go through Collioure and Port Vendres. Stop off along the way. There are numerous access points to the sea. Take your binoculars. The birds start migrating north about now.

You mught want to try the Col de Banyuls. This probably the oldest route in the area. Was a part of the Via Domitia and may well date back to the late Stone Age judging by the number of dolmens.

Enjoy.

Gus
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Gus Morris wrote:
That's a difficult one

You mught want to try the Col de Banyuls. This probably the oldest route in the area. Was a part of the Via Domitia and may well date back to the late Stone Age judging by the number of dolmens.

Enjoy.

Gus
I find I no longer have the strength of mind for the Col de Banyuls: I suffer from vertigo, and my sister just hates it: the locals, who do it often, understandably drive it much more "assertively" than she finds comfortable. But I'm sure quite a few of them survive it. It was a pleasant walk before they tarmaced it.