Registering UK car in France

Something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? Voilà!
BarbaraD
Rank 0
Rank 0

Registering UK car in France

Post by BarbaraD »

I know this topic has been posted previously but it hasn't answered my specific question. I feel my Carte Gris fee is ridiculously high. Last spring our 2012 Range Rover with 4l engine cost €2274 which seemed a lot but big engine and lots of CO2 emissions. Sold that car and now registering 2014 Jaguar F Sportbrake. Was originally quoted €754 which seemed very good and lo and behold we've been told there is a problem with our cheque and it should have been for €2294! Smaller engine and far fewer CO2 emissions. Live in 66 Pyrenees-Orientales area. Has anyone else had to pay anywhere near this fee? I've tried the www calculating link someone posted, but it doesn't have a facility for a car that isn't brand new.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

I know there is no comparison in cars but I just brought a replacement 1.6 Vauxhall Zafira from the UK and registered for a Carte Gris just last week and I was charged Eur 164. Your charge does seem very high by comparison but maybe the fees for big cars are punitive. There is a website you can visit which you use the Puissance Fiscal for your car to calculate the charge, it has been on the forum if you look. You need the cars power in Kw not horsepower.
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

If it is the Prefecture who has told you the cheque is wrong then you will have to pay what they have told you. They very rarely get it wrong , the mairie on the other hand often get it wrong so if they are the ones who quoted you the first price then you can be pretty sure they got it wrong . Sorry if not the answer you are looking for but nobody will beable to give you the correct reply except the Prefecture( or sous Prefecture).
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

That does seem very expensive.
Here is a govt web site which should give you a good indication.
http://droit-finances.commentcamarche.n ... roussillon
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

You might also find this helpful:
http://www.guide-carte-grise.info/info- ... iscale.php

Russell
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

It is not just the price of the carre grise. There is the malus ecologique that has to be paid as the car was not sold new in France. This means that when imported the owner is liable for the tax when they ask to register it here. A Jag would be around the 14cv which justifies the 754 euros that you were told at first but I would guess the the malus ecologique for this type of car would be well over a 1000 euros. You just need to find out how many grammes of CO2 per km it throws out ( or even easier just go and ask at the Jaguar Garage). You will then beable to calculate hiw much tax you are liable for.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Registering UK car in France

Post by martyn94 »

BarbaraD wrote:I know this topic has been posted previously but it hasn't answered my specific question. I feel my Carte Gris fee is ridiculously high. Last spring our 2012 Range Rover with 4l engine cost €2274 which seemed a lot but big engine and lots of CO2 emissions. Sold that car and now registering 2014 Jaguar F Sportbrake. Was originally quoted €754 which seemed very good and lo and behold we've been told there is a problem with our cheque and it should have been for €2294! Smaller engine and far fewer CO2 emissions. Live in 66 Pyrenees-Orientales area. Has anyone else had to pay anywhere near this fee? I've tried the www calculating link someone posted, but it doesn't have a facility for a car that isn't brand new.
I don't suppose that there are many of us who imported a 2014 Jaguar F Sportbrake, let alone the particular model that you have that we don't know. I guess that tia is right that it's something to do with the malus ecologique: it should be quite easy to find what you should have paid, eg here

http://www.autos-coaching.fr/bonus-malu ... doccasion/

but possibly less easy to recover any excess if you turn out to have paid too much.

It's a carte grise, incidentally.
BarbaraD
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BarbaraD »

Many thanks for all your replies and help. The last link given seems to prove that the sum is about right, high though the fee is.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

BarbaraD wrote: high though the fee is.
I think that that's rather the idea. The clue is in the word "écologique".