Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

Toto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Seeking rental accomodation

Post by Toto »

URGENT!
SINGLE MAN, AGE 45, SEEKS RENTAL HOME IN P.O., AUDE, HÉRAULT.
LOW RENT OR (PARTLY OR WHOLLY) IN RETURN FOR WORK - CARETAKING, PET-SITTING, MAINTENANCE, D.I.Y./GARDENING/TRANSLATION-INTERPRETING ETC. ETC.
ANGLO-FRENCH, BILINGUAL, GOOD WITH ANIMALS.

ELECTROSENSITIVE, SO ACCOMMODATION MUST BE FAR ENOUGH FROM SOURCES OF WI-FI AND FROM CELLPHONE TOWERS!!

CONTACT ANTOINE (0033) (0)6 45 94 31 33 antoine.winstanley@gmail.com
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH. BUT WHO KNOWS YOU MIGHT BE LUCKY.

Have you considered CBT? Though I have never had much problem being too far away from mobile phone antennas.
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

Interested to know what CBT stands for?
Antoine have you looked into the workaway scheme or Woofer? You might have more luck .
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ariègeoise »

Or a housesitting site, maybe. Trusted Housesitters (I've used them) or Mind My House. There are others too.

Shame I don't need you at my Ariège house, Toto. Nothing approaching a mobile phone signal there!
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

A couple of interesting articles on the dangers of electromagnetic radiation:
First a simplistic one - https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... alth-risks
Then a more scientific one - http://www.atomsandnumbers.com/2013/why ... your-food/

Just remember that all life depends on electromagnetic radiation and that even a 100 W light bulb emits more radiation than a WiFi router. Fortunately the radiation we receive from the sun, even indoors, is many times greater.

Of course the negative placebo effect is real. It's a matter of belief.

Russell
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

tia wrote:Interested to know what CBT stands for?
Antoine have you looked into the workaway scheme or Woofer? You might have more luck .
Cognitive behavioural therapy. It's the least-worst currently known means of helping people with self-diagnosed sensitivity to electromagnetic radiation. russell has pointed you to a couple of sources which explain why EMF can't plausibly have adverse physiological effects on anyone (at least in the ranges we experience, even sitting a foot away from our router or microwave). And there is any amount of rigorous research which shows that EMF-sensitive people can't in fact tell whether they are exposed to EMF or not.

But that is not really the point. Antoine is evidently distressed by the idea of being exposed to EMF, to the extent of wanting to limit his life in a very radical way: where nowadays do you find somewhere, even in the P-O, without significant exposure to cellphone signals and/or wifi? His distress, and whatever symptoms he experiences, must be entirely genuine: the problem is to find some pragmatic way of mitigating them. CBT is the only therapy which has been shown to do any good (though it's not a silver bullet).

Convinced EMF-sufferers tend to find it unacceptably stigmatising - as implying that their experience is "all in their minds". But that is manifestly not so.
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

Thank you Martyn. Learn something new every day. I was also wondering where a person could live and not be exposed to wifi etc as seems virtually impossible in this day and age.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

tia wrote:Thank you Martyn. Learn something new every day. I was also wondering where a person could live and not be exposed to wifi etc as seems virtually impossible in this day and age.
You bet. But there are people, like Antoine I guess, who think that they will be much healthier if they absolutely minimise their exposure to man-made EMF. That doesn't leave you many options. I hope that he finds, as most of us do, that you can learn to tolerate modest levels of exposure without suffering serious harm. There is a lot of evidence that this is possible, but you make your own compromises.
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus »

russell wrote:A couple of interesting articles on the dangers of electromagnetic radiation:
First a simplistic one - https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... alth-risks
Then a more scientific one - http://www.atomsandnumbers.com/2013/why ... your-food/

Just remember that all life depends on electromagnetic radiation and that even a 100 W light bulb emits more radiation than a WiFi router. Fortunately the radiation we receive from the sun, even indoors, is many times greater.

Of course the negative placebo effect is real. It's a matter of belief.

Russell
Thanks for sharing the 2nd link, very interesting article and interesting to learn about sunburns, rather topical since we are having so much sun here!
Toto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Toto »

Dear all who have posted on this topic, and have contributed ideas and suggestions regarding my housing request.
First of all I want to apologize for the delay in answering, the original post was made by my Dad and I have been away quite a bit, with little access to a computer.( cable not wifi of course haha :D )
Many thanks to you Ariègeoise for the suggestion.
On the topic of Emf hypersensitivity( EHS-microwave syndrome) , I do not want to go into too much of a debate here, as this is something I don't do much anymore, the positions "against " being (usualy- not always) very grounded in --lack of knowledge of actual scientific information on the actual impact of emf on the human body.
( if one cares to- actually- do proper research on the subject of EHS one can easily find actual "proper medical papers" by actual scientists( doctors, endocrinologists , oncologists etc) that will quickly dispell much of the doubts - and -mass media and industrial lobby supported-myths around the "harmlessness" of high frequency microwave( if you are interested, do actually go and check how this works, why microwaves(yes as in an oven), as well as the frequencies involved.
The impact on -the endocrine system(disruption of GABA, Acetylcholine, Dopamine pathways in the brain et etc etc) , immune system, blood cell production, lymph system etc etc has been demonstrated and is massive. The research is available if one cares to go into it.
Over time this translate as illness, actual physical illness, which is not simply"discomfort", which for an EHS person is already massive.
This is my case, so I cannot "afford to be a "positive thinker"(although I have the greatest conviction and experience of the "power of the mind on the body"(IE "Positive placebo effect").
As a proof of my non-radicalness and willingness to negociate with this condition, I do use a mobile phone infrequently if I need to be reached in my remote area, and accept to pay the physical price accordingly. I do pay the price and that is a chice. I do not "demonize "technology or the modern means of communication, I find them wonderful and use them if I really have to, up to a certain threshold. However I have come to know that even short exposure to Wifi and cell towers ( in my case)will have a massive physical impact on me, translating in days even weeks of endocrine disruption with very serious and painful consequences.

I do take into account the "negative placebo effect" and the fact that some EHS people might be partly -or for some completely- in that space of autosuggestion, while their symptoms are more due to psychological unwellness or certain forms of "burnout".
In that case, CBT or other forms of psychological and emotional therapy will certainly be of great help in "desensitizing " people ( for CBT)or helping them get to the root of their "phobia".

That being said , I think it would be naive, if not downright condescending to think that the huge wave of EHSensitivity spreading over the world is only due, either "unwillingness to be responsible, grow up and embrace progress and the no holds barred technological paradigm", or an "airy fairyness plague" (though I have the deepest respect for a more spiritualy-based view of how to live in this world), and that all these people are irresponsible, self-deluding hippies.
Because one does not experience and illness, or feel or see the causing factors does not mean it doesn't exist!

The financial stakes are massive and it not for any good reason the comprehensive "Reflex " and "Bioinitiative" scientific studies( actual "orthodox"scientists not holistic therapists) and various scientist's appeals to the EU are being buried.
And it is in the interest of the media( Bouygues and Orange being for example massive shareholders in television in France)to portray EHS people as -at best- eccentrics, in order to not have to have to change their policies-or pay indemnities for the rapidly growing number of victims!

Well I have gone into it a bit, I apologize if this was a bit lengthy and and I fear, a bit lecturing, but I thought on this occasion-once in a year- I might clarify why many EHS people feel no one takes their condition seriously and eventualy settle for silence. And why it is so difficult for them to find accomodation that meets their needs.

I am very grateful to all of you, including you Martyn-it was useful , compassionate and relevant information- for your help, concern and suggestions!

A happy festive season to you all

Antoine
Toto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Toto »

Sorry for the few typos and omissions, I think it can still be understood :)
Toto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Toto »

Thanks Tia, I had missed your suggestions :)
Toto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Toto »

Fascinating article on the sun and other Emf, thanks Russell..
Toto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Toto »

The end conclusions are a bit quick , they do not take into account many other aspects-it is not only about "heat", this is a reductive mecanistic view( that serves industries well) but also about inter-cell communication( see the work of Fritz Popp and others), endocrine signalling etc etc, I xon't go into it here.
Extremely interesting nonetheless!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Thanks for this Toto. Fascinating.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Toto wrote:The end conclusions are a bit quick , they do not take into account many other aspects-it is not only about "heat", this is a reductive mecanistic view( that serves industries well) but also about inter-cell communication( see the work of Fritz Popp and others), endocrine signalling etc etc, I xon't go into it here.
The only high-quality research I know of seems to show that people who believe themselves to be EMF-sensitive cannot in fact tell whether they are or are not being exposed to higher-than-background electromagnetic fields, if that is tested in a blinded trial. That is not at all to say that their experiences are invented, or "all in their heads", or anything else pejorative. It just seems an awful shame, like much else in 2016.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

I can understand, Toto, that much of the stress of modern life is caused by the proliferation of modern communication devices and can believe that they can thus cause major problems for some people. However you cannot avoid the fact that the sun is responsible for a far greater proportion of the non-ionising electromagnetic radiation that reaches us and it is that radiation which fuels life.

As a "real scientist" (B.Sc., M.Sc., M.Phil., B.Univ.) I like to keep an open mind and I would certainly be interested in any scientific papers you could point me to that can explain the physical mechanism by which electromagnetic radiation in the UHF band at the levels in a normal dwelling could have an adverse effect on the human body.

Russell.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Toto wrote:The end conclusions are a bit quick , they do not take into account many other aspects-it is not only about "heat", this is a reductive mecanistic view( that serves industries well) but also about inter-cell communication( see the work of Fritz Popp and others), endocrine signalling etc etc, I xon't go into it here.
It's certainly extremely interesting, to the extent that I bothered to pursue it. Though not interesting in a good way: Dr Popp's work seems to go well beyond the point that it could even be called pseudoscience. My question is more direct: I have the same cells as you and the same endocrine system, and on Dr Popp's theory the same micro-photons passing through my body, signaling between one part and another. How is it that they cause you "massive" physiological effects, and to the rest of us no discernible effects at all?

The answer, obviously, is that you are not like us. I would only suggest, in the kindest way I can find, that the difference has nothing at all to do with EMF radiation.
CPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPB »

What does it matter? The original poster is looking for a house to rent. He has given a brief overview of his medical issues in the original post, as to explain why his criteria is so specific. I can't understand why he needs his life picking apart just because some people don't believe him.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I don't read it as people not believing him - I read it as interest in a condition that is little known. Just shows how people interpret differently the written word, when there are no gestures or facial expressions.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

CPB wrote:What does it matter? The original poster is looking for a house to rent. He has given a brief overview of his medical issues in the original post, as to explain why his criteria is so specific. I can't understand why he needs his life picking apart just because some people don't believe him.
Because this is a forum, not an estate agent's website. We can give whatever response we think might be helpful, or merely interesting. Subject obviously to the moderators.

I don't in any event see how any of our comments, and certainly mine, can be filed under "disbelief ". It is much more complex, and infinitely more depressing, than that.

To be honest, though, I responded initially because the initial post WAS ALL IN CAPS. That suggested a degree of distress going beyond the desire for cheap digs.