Water access / Fishing rights

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Water access / Fishing rights

Post by Sus »

We are looking at a property that has a small river as one border and I was wondering whether anybody has knowledge about access rights.

The river is the border between 2 properties and not accessible by any public right of way. My understanding is that the first thing to establish is whether the river is actually private or public. If private, then there is a general right to navigate down the river, presumably on foot or in a boat, but this does not include access to the river bank. If the river is publicly owned than the property owners need to maintain access on the river bank for anybody who has a fishing permit, is that correct?

I think the river is private (it is the border between two mas) but there is clear evidence that people are using the riverbank, is there a need to check for right of way established through precedence or informally agreed upon?

Any insights appreciated, I just want to get my facts straight before I enquire with the mairie and DDE.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

You don't mention your location, but I would also be concerned about the level the river might reach, or might already have reached, in times of heavy and prolonged rain. I know property owners who have lost considerable chunks of gardens due to high and fast water flow
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus »

yes, good point. It is the Riuferrer, a side river of the Tech which flows into the Tech at Arles s Tech. It is quite small/shallow, not really passable by boat and so far my research has not shown any flooding.