Garage Sale

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Sue234
Rank 2
Rank 2

Garage Sale

Post by Sue234 »

Hello,

Together with one or two friends I'd like to hold a garage sale on my Résidence in Collioure, around Easter time - mainly furniture but possibly also a clothes rail. It's a BIG garage and there's some parking nearby, and a small roundabout outside the garage for people to draw up and load any purchases. Does anyone happen to know how you go about this? Do I need to approach the Mairie; how to advertise it; are we allowed to offer refreshments? - that sort of thing. Has anyone had any experience of doing this? We aren't planning to try and sell electrical goods, which might be problematic or at least it would be in the UK.

I already plan to approach a member of the Copropriété committee before doing anything.

I'd be so glad to hear from anyone who has some experience of this, either as a seller or a buyer. Is it a goer do you think?
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

Hi, my daughter did this a few years ago and she had to ask for permission at the mairie . As you say you are part of a copropriete I would think that your first port of call would be them, and if they accept then go to the mairie. You will need to give date and times. To be honest my daughter found that it was a waste of time, she did a vide Grenier after and sold the majority of her stuff there.
Good luck
Sue234
Rank 2
Rank 2

Garage Sale

Post by Sue234 »

Hi Tia - thanks for responding.

What you say is certainly food for thought. The problem with a Vide Grenier is transporting large pieces of wooden funiture. The cost might outweigh any gains I think. Meanwhile the stuff is sitting in a friend's garage!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Sue why not advertise the furniture on here and on the PO Life Facebook Group.
Dylan
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

If you have Facebook there are quite a few selling pages on there for this area as well as on here and po life. Also leboncoin is pretty good for selling.
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ariègeoise »

I've been to vide greniers where sellers have had poster-size photos of large pieces of furniture on their stands alongside other items that they're selling ... might be worth considering if you did a local vide? You could then take anybody interested to have a look there and then.
Sue234
Rank 2
Rank 2

Garage Sale

Post by Sue234 »

Hi everyone,

I don't know what I've been doing for the last 36 hours but I'm sorry I missed the last few replies until now. Thanks for them all and for the good ideas! I suppose I was thinking that a garage sale, complete with sea views from the garage and maybe tea and coffee gratis, would make it a fun occasion and get it all sorted in one go. Too optimistic possibly? Mmmmmm.....more thinking required!
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus »

You can also still try to do the garage sale and use this forum and leboncoin to advertise that it is happening? that seems to have been successful for a couple of people.
Sue234
Rank 2
Rank 2

Garage Sale

Post by Sue234 »

Hiya,

Thank you Sus for the 'mixed-economy' suggestion which seems sound. Sorry about tardy reply but life suddenly seems to have got v busy. I also have a confession to make;I'm not much of a techie and I looked on the Facebook P-O Life page (Sue's suggestion - thanks Sue) but haven't much idea I'm afraid about how to go about advertising on that. Maybe advertising directly on the forum is a good way to go.

Thanks all, and welcome Sylvain4n!

Sue
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Try this link to take you to the Group rather than the Page. Any problems send me a PM.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7811854 ... 2/?fref=ts
Dylan
Sue234
Rank 2
Rank 2

Garage Sale

Post by Sue234 »

Thanks Sue, I may do that.