emergency healthcare cost UK

Health questions, information, advice, French health system, mutuels....

Moderator: Moderators

sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

emergency healthcare cost UK

Post by sue and paul »

As UK retirees here in France our healthcare, via Carte Vitale, is ultimately paid by UK, according to mutual agreement between all EU countries.

Does anyone have experience (or knowledge, or both) of how it rolls for us with NHS back in the UK, if a health emergency should arise? Do we have to pay up front? Or what?

I guess after nearly 10 years here, we're lucky to be only just asking about this :D
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: emergency healthcare cost UK

Post by Allan »

sue and paul wrote:As UK retirees here in France our healthcare, via Carte Vitale, is ultimately paid by UK, according to mutual agreement between all EU countries.

Does anyone have experience (or knowledge, or both) of how it rolls for us with NHS back in the UK, if a health emergency should arise? Do we have to pay up front? Or what?

I guess after nearly 10 years here, we're lucky to be only just asking about this :D
Have a look at https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/healt ... om-abroad/

In amongst it it says
You can receive free NHS treatment if you receive a UK state pension , live in an EU country and previously lived for 10 years in the UK.

The rules for Scotland may be different.

It does in any case make sense to get an EHIC from France for other countries
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Brit retirees must get their EHIC Card from DWP UK.
Dylan
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Sue wrote:Brit retirees must get their EHIC Card from DWP UK.
Thanks for the correction Sue, the NHS website says:-
Once you have registered your S1 with CPAM in France, you will be entitled to a UK-issued EHIC, allowing you to access state-funded necessary medical treatment when you visit other EEA countries besides the one in which you are resident, including when you return to the UK.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Sorry Allan it wasn't meant as a correction just a further bit of info. :(
Dylan
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Thanks for replies and research, which, admittedly, I could have done myself. I just saw something on this morning's UK news which made me wonder if things had changed. We already have UK issued EHICs as we receive UK state pensions. So we're covered for emergencies. Fingers crossed, all the same :lol: