disgusting men's scents

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

disgusting men's scents

Post by martyn94 »

My best friend wouldn't call me particularly sensitive, but I have been struck (almost literally) by the number of men round here who wear scent that would knock you down at 9.144m, applied by the litre.And not just the kids: my neighbour at the cafe this breakfast time, about my age, wore something that made "the great smell of Brut 33"(which older readers may remember) seem like the merest hint of Chanel No 5.

Is it my imagination that it's worse down here? Or are people trying to compensate for the effects of the wind, or just displaying their fiery Catalan temperament?
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Do you mean eau de sueur :oops: or literally washing in aftershave? I prefer the latter but it does catch your breath.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

opas wrote:Do you mean eau de sueur :oops: or literally washing in aftershave? I prefer the latter but it does catch your breath.
Not so much aftershave, as the spray-on male perfumes typified (I assume) by the Lynx adverts in the UK; you spray it on very liberally, and attractive young women swoon as you pass by. I swoon too, but not in a good way.Or so I guess: i don't think mere aftershave could set up the wall of smell that these guys achieve, not least with the winds of the last few days.
Davidsimon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Davidsimon »

Any ideas on what you would prefer men used? Just so we won't cause you offence. :roll:
Last edited by Davidsimon on Sun 21 Jun 2015 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Just a good wash and fresh clothes !

But if you want to smell realy nice a small splash of Tuscany or a quick spray of Brut/Axe .....from a womens perspective.

Anything but rancid armpits
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Davidsimon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Davidsimon »

opas wrote:Just a good wash and fresh clothes !

But if you want to smell realy nice a small splash of Tuscany or a quick spray of Brut/Axe .....from a womens perspective.

Doubt the OP would approve,we all need his expert guidance. :wink:
Last edited by Davidsimon on Mon 22 Jun 2015 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
lonesome paddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: disgusting men's scents

Post by lonesome paddy »

martyn94 wrote:My best friend wouldn't call me particularly sensitive, but I have been struck (almost literally) by the number of men round here who wear scent that would knock you down at 9.144m, applied by the litre.And not just the kids: my neighbour at the cafe this breakfast time, about my age, wore something that made "the great smell of Brut 33"(which older readers may remember) seem like the merest hint of Chanel No 5.

Is it my imagination that it's worse down here? Or are people trying to compensate for the effects of the wind, or just displaying their fiery Catalan temperament?
Im sure you cannot be referring to French men as i recall reading that French men dont wash, they merely rub a clove of garlic under their arms :?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Davidsimon wrote:

I said I'm not hypersensitive, and I meant it. A recent shower, clean clothes and a bit of aftershave (optional) are fine by me.

Talking of " a women's perspective", I remember reading somewhere that men are notably more sensitive than women to some of the popular commercial aromas. Which may seem paradoxical - or not - if they are in formulations worn by men.

But to repeat myself: I'm not talking about a bit of aftershave, but real knock-you-down gagging intensity. Or with one waiter at my local cafe, "can't taste your drink" intensity, which is that much worse.
Libby
Rank 2
Rank 2

Male scents

Post by Libby »

Better than the alternatives i.e. B.O. and stale cigarette smoke!!!
Davidsimon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Davidsimon »

martyn94 wrote:
Davidsimon wrote:

real knock-you-down gagging intensity. Or with one waiter at my local cafe, "can't taste your drink" intensity, which is that much worse.
The men of the region need a list of those you approve,how can we conform without facts?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

A late response, after a bit of research. I think anything called "body spray" is worth using with discretion (ie less than the whole can).

I was walking down to the quai this morning behind a fat old geezer (ie a bit older than me, and a bit fatter than me). I was never closer than 15m, but I walked for a few hundred metres in a cloud of sickly-smelling scent. What on earth did he think he was achieving? Pulling some sheila 50 years younger, at 0930?
lonesome paddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lonesome paddy »

Maybe he wasn't interested in pulling any Sheila's.......i mean he did have you following him :D
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

lonesome paddy wrote:Maybe he wasn't interested in pulling any Sheila's.......i mean he did have you following him :D
But he had it on before I ever saw him, or he me. Is he going to trawl past me every day? It doesn't bear thinking about.

But seriously: this stuff isn't given away. The punters, young and old, can't all be trying to piss me off. It must be meant to achieve something.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Male scents

Post by martyn94 »

Libby wrote:Better than the alternatives i.e. B.O. and stale cigarette smoke!!!
It's not much of a choice. But the natural alternative, however gross, doesn't carry a tenth as far as the commercial product. But why either?
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

Why not try to get a little more interested in the scent that women wear? :lol:

Helen
lonesome paddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lonesome paddy »

Robert Ferrieux wrote:Why not try to get a little more interested in the scent that women wear? :lol:

Helen
If i get arrested ill give your name
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Robert Ferrieux wrote:Why not try to get a little more interested in the scent that women wear? :lol:

Helen
The point of women's scent, surely, is to get you interested in the woman, without ever realising that it was partly the scent that did it. Or at least not until you share the same bathroom.

A project which is mostly pretty successful (on their part).