Council Tax equivalent?

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

NigelS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Council Tax equivalent?

Post by NigelS »

We're thinking of moving to the PO - is there a Council Tax equivalent and, approximately, how much does one pay?
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Yes, there are actually TWO property taxes in France, Taxe d'Habitation and Taxe Foncière.
Taxe Foncière, usually payable in October, is paid by property owners, whether they live there or rent the property out. The amount varies according to the location of the property. I think that's the most expensive of the two.

Taxe d'Habitation, payable in November, is paid by the occupiers of a property, whether they own or rent. This also included your telly licence. Tenants for example should pay the Taxe d'Hab but not the Taxe Foncière. Some landlords have been known to abuse this, where the tenants aren't aware of this.

Difficult to compare to England as it depends where you live, the size of the house etc
NigelS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Thanks Kate

Post by NigelS »

That's very helpful Kate, thanks. We're looking for an isolated, 3 bedroom place with a couple of hectares - any guesses for the 2 taxes?
CPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPB »

http://www.frenchpropertylinks.com/esse ... ciere.html

It would depend where you bought. I.e. Up the mountain/ nr the city / in a village etc.
NigelS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Away from the village

Post by NigelS »

we would like an isolated house - so somewhere between up the mountain and the village. Is there a way to estimate likely Taxe Fonciere and Taxe d'Habitation for a 3 bedroom house with land?
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Probably the best you can do is to find a house, or several, that you are interested in, and the agents will tell you what the foncière and habitation taxes are. Even so, I think the habitation can vary depending on your assessment for income tax, and your age. There are too many variables to pluck an estimate out of the air
NigelS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Thanks

Post by NigelS »

Thanks Sue and Paul. Have heard somewhere that the house taxes tend to be between a half or a quarter of UK council tax - would you think that's true?
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Not our experience.

We pay more in the PO for an apartment 92.5 sq m than in UK for reasonable detached house.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
NigelS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Thanks

Post by NigelS »

Mmmm - thanks for that.
When we buy I should be 62-3 years old and my wife 57-8. Should that make any material difference?
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Thanks

Post by sue and paul »

NigelS wrote:Thanks Sue and Paul. Have heard somewhere that the house taxes tend to be between a half or a quarter of UK council tax - would you think that's true?
Sorry, no idea. Or about the age question
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

As previously stated, look at a village/area that interests you, find some properties and contact the agent. The foncier question they can answer, the habitation is personal to the owner/renter as that depends on their situation. So unless you can find a couple your ages with your anual income, i think i am correct in saying that habitation is less than foncier.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
CPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPB »

It is very difficult to get a calculation without knowing where, how big, how much land, how many rooms, what your income is, etc etc .
I appreciate roughly where you are looking for and roughly what you are looking for it but I'm afraid without specifics, a calculation isn't really possible. I think also tax hab (I may be wrong) depends on the number of occupiers too.

I can tell you roughly what ours is (just send me a PM, I don't want it on a public forum). It's a couple of hectares. Edge of a village. Not far from the city. 6 bed. but as there are quite a few variables yours may end up being a bit more or less.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Simply Google "calcul taxe fonciere" and "calcul taxe d'habitation" and it's all there.

Gus
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Not to do with property tax but I note that you both have some years until state retirement age (that is if you are British) and as such will not be entitled to Medical cover unless you are going to take up some sort of employment.
Dylan
CPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPB »

Can't they use the EHIC?
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Not if they intend to live here permanently. EHIC is for short stays i.e. holidays only.
Dylan
CPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPB »

Oh ok.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

You would be surprised how many people live here and wrongly use EHIC for healthcare!

I have just re-ordered mine, for holidays (not now) and trips over the border.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Sue wrote:Not to do with property tax but I note that you both have some years until state retirement age (that is if you are British) and as such will not be entitled to Medical cover unless you are going to take up some sort of employment.
In a separate topic area, NigelS has stated that they have "an internet-based business" so they would get into the French system.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
CPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPB »

I didn't realise it was short term. Not that I have ever used it, I've got a carte vitale but good to know :)
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

If you are resident here you must apply for the EHIC card from CPAM (unless you are a UK retiree and then you apply to DWP in UK). It can be used in any of the European member states but not in France i.e. your place of residence. If you are non resident in France and just a visitor then you will have obtained your card in the UK and can use it whilst on holiday in any of the EU member states.
Dylan
Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb »

EHIC is for temporary residents, not just holidays. Difficult to define temporary but it looks like six months stay would be defined as permanent.

My dad just died in Montpellier from cancer. He had been in France since February and all the costs were borne by EHIC.

Pearson
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Sorry to hear about your dad Pearson. I am afraid I class anyone who doesn't live here all year round as being on holiday as they are not a permanent resident.
Dylan