Céret Feria 2015

Fetes & Festivities in the Pyrénées-Orientales/What's on and where..

Moderator: Moderators

Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Céret Feria 2015

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

I was interested to read in the latest P.O.Life the publicity given to the this event.
Bull-fighting is a manifestation of unnecessary cruelty inflicted on an animal for the "entertainment" of drunken yobs, misinformed tourists and those whose barbaric, perverted sensitivities are of the very basest, those who enjoy watching suffering and bloody death, those whose common decency has been suppressed..or never existed.
Someone quoted, in P.O.Life, that it is a "fine sport". No, it is neither fine nor a sport. Where is the fun, where is the bravery, where, in heaven's name, is the sport in such "entertainment".
"Running the bulls" is almost equally sadistic. The animals are hounded, bewildered and in distress; their tails are pulled, which causes extreme pain. Fun? Bravery?
If you have a strong stomach, read Excerpts From Kate's Ongoing Diary to learn how these machos practice their art. Even more information can be found on google of our huge, national association FLAC - Fédération des Luttes Anti-Corrida.

Helen F.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

I take it you do not approve.

Interestingly it has been banned in Catalunya. But whether this is on ethical grounds or simply another narrow minded Catalan type action in rejecting someting seen as "Spanish" in origin I don't now.

Gus
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I went to the Feria (bull running) at Ceret when we first moved over 10 years ago. That was my first and last time. It it not my conception of sport or fun to watch a load of drunken louts chasing absolutely terrified bulls.
Dylan
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Anyone who read the article about the Feria would recognise the heavy sarcasm throughout and particularly in the comment about "this fine sport" which is closely followed by "if like me you find the whole process obnoxious".

Whether you approve or not, it is a major event in the area and it is clearly appropriate for PO Life to inform people about it.

I won't even try to debate the rights or wrongs of it but I do think that the thousands of people that make a living from the industry and its associated tourism might think their interests are more important than those of the animals.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I wasn't in anyway referring to the P O Life article Allan and agree with all you say but was just giving my own feelings on the event. I am completely against animals being used in this way and in circuses or large whales in little pools.
Dylan
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Sorry Sue, we got out of step, I was referring to the original post
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

No probs. :lol:
Dylan
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Allan wrote:
I won't even try to debate the rights or wrongs of it but I do think that the thousands of people that make a living from the industry and its associated tourism might think their interests are more important than those of the animals.

Of course these people who make a living out of brutal cruelty think their interests are more important.

It's called blood money.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

It's too hot to work outside so I've got a bit of time on my hands. May I share with you a few thoughts? I'm not a vegetarian. I'll eat beef, pork, lamb, chicken, all kinds of fish. Even cheval if I get the chance. And that involves killing animals.

We live in a world of contrasting standards. The corrida and chasse are officially sanctioned and glorified by the local media. But so much as harm one hair on a cat and you face prison. Yet cats are the most destructive creatures living in Western Europe after mankind. They kill an estimated 50 million wild birds in the UK alone. Get one in your garden and say goodbye to geckos, lizards, snakes, shrews, mice and possibly the fish in your pond.

I totally agree with banning the corrida. But let's stop the hunting too and get some wildlife back in the countryside. And make the owners of domestic animals responsible for the untold damage that they cause when allowed to roam free.

Gus
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Céret Feria 2015

[quote="Gus Morris" I'm not a vegetarian. I'll eat beef, pork, lamb, chicken, all kinds of fish. Even cheval if I get the chance. And that involves killing animals.

One can perfectly well be a carnivore and at the same time despise the gratuitous torture of animals for entertainment.

I totally agree with banning the corrida. But let's stop the hunting too and get some wildlife back in the countryside. And make the owners of domestic animals responsible for the untold damage that they cause when allowed to roam free.

Gus[/quote]

Whole-heartedly agree with you re hunting and the dearth of wildlife. Also about the sad lack of responsibility of many domestic animal owners....but cats? How can you prevent your cat from roaming other than keeping it indoors, something which is unnatural. No point in owning a cat if it's to be kept locked in a house. Unlike dogs, cats are "beyond" the law, that's to say, the owner is not responsible for the damage done by feline claws, teeth or micturating!

Helen
Last edited by Robert Ferrieux on Sun 05 Jul 2015 12:30, edited 2 times in total.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

the owner is not responsible for the damage done by feline claws, teeth or micturating!

So it is morally acceptable to introduce free roaming predators into an environment and inflict real damage to property and wildlife? Which is exactly what is happening to friends of mine even as I write this. New neighbours have arrived along with their seven cats, One for each day of the week. The impact has been swift and terrible. Bye bye geckos just for starters. Now they are having to cat proof their back garden. At considerable cost. Every night they have to remove all the covers from the garden furniture in the pergola. It stinks of cat urine. They can do nothing about the area in front of the property.

So much for liberty, equality and fraternity!

Gus
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

We have 4 cats who all wear a collar that has a little box on it. If the cat goes to pounce on a bird or mouse then the box bleeps and a red light flashes to allow the would be dinner time to scurry off and the cat lose out. The cat is not tasered or harmed in anyway. We have loads of lizards, birds and mice.
Dylan
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Cats and dogs

I don't quite understand what Liberty, Equality and Fraternity have to do with it all.

We're supposed to be endowed with the faculty of reasoning and to behave according to moral values. Cats, as far as I know, haven't yet reached that stage, although in many ways they're far cleverer than we are. It's no use comparing what's not comparable and in any case two wrongs do not make a right.

Anyhow, maybe the time has come to stop enunciating truisms on this page.
Thanks for an entertaining discussion and have a good day.