help after a stroke

Health questions, information, advice, French health system, mutuels....

Moderator: Moderators

sarahc
Rank 0
Rank 0

help after a stroke

Post by sarahc »

My Dad lives near Perpignan and is in hospital after a stroke. Can anyone help with what sort of support I might be able to arrange when he gets out? I am also thinking of arranging for a daily visit from either a nurse or housekeeper, so any leads would be gratefully received. He is English and his french isn't great.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I know it's not the same thing but my advice would be to contact Penny Parkinson, president of CSF as she lives in the P-O and knows all the ins and out of hospitals, help groups and what's available for cancer sufferers, so will be able to point you in the right direction medically. She's also a rather lovely lady which helps!
http://www.anglophone-direct.com/CSF-AG ... couser-and
Bon courage
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Hi Sarah, it must be a worrying time for you. As Kate says, ' Courage'.

I'm afraid I can't help much - although if your father is within the French heath system, I suspect there will a range of support available, depending on the extent of his stroke. (My elderly neighbour who lives alone, received weeks of rehab in a convalescent home after a knee replacement and continues to be supported now she's home).

In terms of where to look for support I found this link on the internet. Although it's about support for Dementia, it has some useful leads for you to follow up depending on how much help you think your Dad will need.
http://www.connexionfrance.com/the-sta ... wPost.aspx
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Have sent you a pm sarahc
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

hi , just seen this. If your father is in perpignan hospital ( not one of the clinics) then ask to see the social worker there, she is very good and helpful.