FLIGHTS FROM PERPIGNAN TO STANSTEAD AT RISK

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

FLIGHTS FROM PERPIGNAN TO STANSTEAD AT RISK

Post by Kate »

FLIGHTS FROM PERPIGNAN TO STANSTEAD
Please share and get this out to as many people as possible.
http://www.anglophone-direct.com/Save-P ... ead-winter
CarolineN
Rank 3
Rank 3

Perpignan airport

Post by CarolineN »

Email sent. Suggested they look at other airlines. Why rely on Ryanair ?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I think it might have been better, in retrospect, to have put your bums on their seats this winter season (18500 times, or as many as you could manage) rather than send them emails about how much you want to do so (in theory) next winter season. Ryanair must have the clearest possible idea what occupancy rates they are actually getting, and how low their fares need to go to get them. There are still a few weeks left to put your money where your mouse is.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Perpignan airport

Post by martyn94 »

CarolineN wrote:Email sent. Why rely on Ryanair ?
Because they are the only airline operating from London to a range of third-rank French provincial airports, to my knowledge. And because they won't have gone bust by the time you want to fly.
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

Emails to Ryanair might be a fraction more convincing if they spelled StanstED airport correctly. Today's flight from there was almost full.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

It has to be said that as of today, there are NO Ryanair flights shown after Saturday 24th October from London Stansted to Perpignan, Barcelona El Prat or Girona Barcelona.
That date must be pivotal, i.e. Winter flights not yet loaded onto the system.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

We used the Stansted to Perpignan route last October and at Christmas. The problem we had at Christmas related to the time changes we experienced after booking.

When we originally booked, the outward flight was at 11.40. It then changed to 7.45 and the final change was to 9.00. This made planning difficult and we eventually spent the night before flying at an airport hotel.

The flights were not particularly cheap either but on the whole, over the last 10 years, we have generally been happy with Ryanair and if it ceases winter flights to Perpignan, it will restrict the choices available to us.

Living near to Gatwick, we would very much like to see flights to the region from that airport and miss the Ryanair Gatwick / Girona route which ceased some time ago.

If the winter flights to Perpignan cease, we shall simply use Easyjet's Gatwick to Montpellier route even though we have at a 2 hour or so journey to our house in Port Vendres from Montpellier. Generally we find Easyjet no more expensive and if we can get 1 euro train tickets, it makes it very economical for us.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Received by email

Michael O’L is famed for his “bullying” business tactics – look at the Girona debacle a few years ago. If I were he (and so glad I’m not) I would wait until Perpignan Airport was so advanced in its renovation that it’s too late to stop and then say “Ah, but you see, I might not be coming to you soon” just to unsettle you and soften you up for future heavy-handed manipulation. If he didn’t use that tactic I’d be very surprised. Reasonable he is not.

So it’s probably difficult to know it it’s a true threat or not but I’m not sure a deluge of emails from customers will change his mind. They must get thousands every day and the majority just binned and not read.

RyanAir has a large fleet of planes that they lease. To maximise profits they must “sweat” these, i.e. get as much out of each one, each day, as possible. Hence the quick turn-arounds and the three trips each day many planes make. I’m sure the system of picking routes is very complex but it’s not just whether Perpignan can offer him lots of passengers over winter, it’s if somewhere else can offer him more.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Kate wrote:Received by email

Michael O’L is famed for his “bullying” business tactics – look at the Girona debacle a few years ago. If I were he (and so glad I’m not) I would wait until Perpignan Airport was so advanced in its renovation that it’s too late to stop and then say “Ah, but you see, I might not be coming to you soon” just to unsettle you and soften you up for future heavy-handed manipulation. If he didn’t use that tactic I’d be very surprised. Reasonable he is not.

So it’s probably difficult to know it it’s a true threat or not but I’m not sure a deluge of emails from customers will change his mind. They must get thousands every day and the majority just binned and not read.

RyanAir has a large fleet of planes that they lease. To maximise profits they must “sweat” these, i.e. get as much out of each one, each day, as possible. Hence the quick turn-arounds and the three trips each day many planes make. I’m sure the system of picking routes is very complex but it’s not just whether Perpignan can offer him lots of passengers over winter, it’s if somewhere else can offer him more.
As it happens, Ryanair mostly buys its planes outright rather than leasing, unlike most airlines, and mostly buys them for cash rather than by borrowing. They have also taken quite a few planes out of service altogether in the last few winter seasons - around 50 this season according to the last annual report.
So if they stop serving Perpignan over the winter, it's not so much that the planes are being used more profitably elsewhere, as that they see no prospect of making any profit at all.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Emails to Ryanair might be a fraction more convincing if they spelled StanstED airport correctly.
Not 'they' but me! Ooooops. Sorrrry. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Now corrected! (Hanging head in shame)
malcolm4664
Rank 1
Rank 1

In defence of RYANAIR

Post by malcolm4664 »

Hi Kate. As a very satisfied shareholder and ex director of several aircraft leasing companies I suggest you look at their 2014 balance sheet which is available, warts and all, on the Internet. It gives a very clear picture of where they are heading.

Remember Mr O'Leary is only the CEO of Ryanair PLC on a year to year contract, behind him at Ryanair Holdings are some very powerful people indeed. He does the shouting but they definitely pull the strings and have the ear of the City.

Some pointers.
It's not worth writing or emailing them as their European marketing plans are already some of the best I have ever seen. They seem to know all the problems and are well ahead of the rest of the industry.
A point to remember. Ryanair do not like operating in France. In fact they have no operating base at all in this country.
The board, not O'Leary, have taken a big gamble this winter by laying off a large number of aircraft. It is more than he first stated by the way. It is due to a mix of high fuel costs (they got their fuel costs wrong in 2012 and are paying for it now) as well as a big drop in winter travel, but there are cost savings.
All their aircraft are leased as you say but not in the same way that ordinary leases are written. Aircraft are purchased in advance on a substantial deposit, based on this, Boeing put out tenders to finance the purchase so to all intents and purposes Ryanair have purchased their aircraft but this is only an accounting entry. The whole aircraft is leased in bits to different lenders, the mainframe, engines, electronics even the seats are leased for 5 to 7 years. The gamble they are taking is that the lease payments are mainly geared to hours of flying time so by laying off flights in the Winter their only problem is what to do with the staff costs as the leasing payments are minimal.
Overall Ryanair appear to have got their act together to meet the anticipated problems in the EC last winter and on into 2016 and, despite their reductions in flights, they are still operating at a profit.

What staggers me is that neither TGV, SNCF or Eurostar are trying to mop up some of the business that is available from England. I know I used to curse Ryanair in the bad old days when trying to buy a ticket but has anyone ever succeeded in unravelling the French rail ticket system?

PS Have extracts of their finance lease programme if interested. Guaranteed to help you sleep.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Thanks Malcolm. Some really interesting info there. I always assumed Michael OLeary was the top of the ladder - but I know absolutely nothing about airlines, airports and aviation in general.
I still think that sending as many emails as we can, all wrapped up in a neat folder and sent from Perps airport, can't do any harm. They are in need of as many little tools as possible to sell the chic new facelift (I was treated to a look through the plastic sheets last week and it really is smart) and support from the local community, particularly people like you who actually know what they're talking about, just helps them to keep on trying!
Vieux Richard
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Vieux Richard »

I agree with you Kate - if we do nothing then we'll get nothing.

It can't do any harm to write an email to the Perpignan authority to help the cause.
GrahamC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GrahamC »

I've just read The Idle Traveller by Dan Kieran. Now I'm much more relaxed about losing Perpignan services. TGV, bottle of wine, some bread and brie, an afternoon nap.....
Vieux Richard
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Vieux Richard »

Had a nice reply back from Dimitri. Our comments will be forwarded to Ryanair, Easyjet, British Airways & Flybe. Here's hoping.

Graham, if I could find a reasonably priced train service to UK from Perpignan then I would agree with you. I have never found any journey either via Lille Europe (preferable) or Paris (much less convenient) that comes any where near what I would call reasonable. e.g. Today's cheapest TGV price one way from Perpignan to St Pancras (via Paris) on 29 March 134€ compared to (today's) price Perpignan - Stansted 57€ with Ryanair.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

VR

I am doing Perp-StP for 58 euro in May

I am holding out for a similar one in Sept. I think the trick is to get on the alert list and book early.

Here is an other idea. Not for the faint hearted.

Combine local journey (TRAIN A 1 EURO ?) with OUIGO and then the eursostar links incldinng new ones to Marne, Avignon or Lyon. etc.

And then , when you work out a good deal please tell me as trying to achieve the combination is doing my head in :)

John
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Does anyone actually know what Sir Michael of Leary is intending for flights to Perpignan for Oct 2015 to Mar 2016. I had an email saying that the flights were posted but they appear not to be on the timetable although you can book up to 24 Oct. You also seem to be able to book over the winter to Carcassonne. I'm inclined to think that all this talk of raising Perpignan airport's game has made him hold back for lower fees (not blaming him, I'd do the same but it's really irritating).
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

lots of other a'ports/routes not showing flights after 24th. Oct.
som maybe it is a Calendar issue.
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

Does anybody remember the name of the airline starting the Perpignan-Madrid flight in April?
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Iberia

All the flights from Perpignan (and around) are in the latest P-O Life on page 15 - 17
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

Thanks Kate, for once I managed to pick up a copy last week!
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Thanks Kate, very useful and comprehensive but it's really about the autumn/winter 2015/2016. I only mention it because I (and I guess everyone else) had a Ryanair email trumpeting about it and saying that the flight were now available to book.
It may be that Perpignan is not being served over the 2015/2016 winter which would be a shame as the 2014/2015 winter was the first for at least five years.
I have used it a lot this winter, 3 flights per week is plenty, I've used it on different days and every flight has been full so I think there must be a commercial case for it.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Dylan
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Thanks Sue. I had read that but I'd forgotten about it. I have no doubt that emailing would be pointless. The only real way of proving that the route is worth keeping is bums on seats and as far as I can see that is the case. That however is all we can see and who knows what the thinking is at Ryanair. I sense a bad ending to this.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Bad ending for me a long time ago Neil. Stansted is totally out of the question for me as I need to get to North Devon for family visits. Absolutely zilch to Bristol or Birmingham during the winter months unless I make a trip to Barcelona. In the summer I don't have a problem with driving to Beziers or Girona (except, of course, in July and August). :lol:
Dylan
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Nothing ever really works out does it! Everything is a compromise and that's ok. I commute between the Isle of Wight and Vernet les Bains and although the journey from the IW to Stansted is a nightmare, I can tolerate it for the ease and simplicity of arriving at Perpignan. If I have to travel to/from Carcassone or Barcelona as well then all of the joy goes out of it.
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

There is no mention of the Perpignan-Madrid flight in the P-O life. I couldn't have imagined it because I remember it stating that it would start around 26th April and cost €119. Maybe there has been a re-think and they have decided against it!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I havent got the magazine in front of me Daphne so I could be wrong but I think it deals with the Ryanair flights only. It is Iberia airlines who are flying Perpignan to Madrid.
Dylan
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

Thanks Sue. I looked yesterday and the Iberia flights were more than €400! Will have to carry on using our 'Carta Dorada' on the AVE, which is actually a very pleasant journey.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

There is no mention of the Perpignan-Madrid flight in the P-O life
It's just in a little box of its own Daphne at the end of all the lists. Thought it would be expensive though. We forget how lucky we are with Ryan!

Neil, I agree that sending emails isn't going to change anything BUT Perpignan now has a very dynamic and determined development manager and he is doing everything he can, no matter how small, to give Perpignan a voice.
Emails from us may be no more than a minuscule drop in the ocean, but they will go together with all the other initiatives to show that the local community support the airport. The new facelift is going to be stunning, the staff have been told to smile, public transport too and from the airport is being studied….Girona grew from a shack to a great little airport (and please don't say 'yes but look at the situation its in now!' :lol:) so why not Perpignan??? :witch: