Je suis Charlie

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Je suis Charlie

Post by Merisin »

Our neighbours are going on the march today and have offered to take us. MY OH reckons it could easily get out of hand so I think we'll decline.

Mary
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Wise decision.
Whilst I agree with the concept I do feel it could attract trouble.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

I was there with my family. The mood was calm and friendly and a show of resolve for freedon and peace. The numbers were estimated at 48,000, the police kept a low profile and there was no hint of discord.
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

I would press a 'like' button on Malcolm's post above.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

The best quote I've seen was from an interview with the brother of the policeman who was killed, "My brother was a Muslim. He was killed by people pretending to be Muslim.".

How true.

Russell.
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

Well done Malcolm! I am baptised Church of England, went to a Jewish School in Liverpool (The King David in Childwall) went on to marry a Spanish Catalan) Roman Catholic and had friends of all nationalities! When I was young my parents were racist, but I broke the mould with them! On one occasion I had friends around from and outside school, there were Italians, French, Spanish and a Morrocan ( not school friends) but Christian, Jewish and even the daughter of Jamaicans who were school friends. My Mother came into the room to serve refreshments and outside said to me it' like the 'Bl***y League of nations in there'!

How refreshing it was not to judge peoples religions or colours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

My primary motivation in attending the march was to support freedom of speech. Like you though I do not and never have had any racial prejudice. I went to school in Moss Side, Manchester so again, like you I grew up surrounded simply by fellow human beings.
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

I was born there Malcolm. 144 Claremont Road. What was your school?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

russell wrote:The best quote I've seen was from an interview with the brother of the policeman who was killed, "My brother was a Muslim. He was killed by people pretending to be Muslim.".

How true.

Russell.
Or maybe they were claiming, truly, to be another sort of Muslim. It's tempting to let a tide of good feeling wash over us at a moment like this (and yes, I went too). But I would much prefer that the people around me didn't believe themselves to be any sort of anything - except citoyens which they can't help being even when they want not to be.
Last edited by martyn94 on Mon 12 Jan 2015 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

Ducie High School, Lloyd Street North, behind Whitworth Art Gallery. I don't think it's there any more. I think it's been swallowed into the Uni campus.
Malcolm Cooper

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

malcolmcooper wrote:I was there with my family. The mood was calm and friendly and a show of resolve for freedon and peace. The numbers were estimated at 48,000, the police kept a low profile and there was no hint of discord.
Yes, a fair number of my friends went too. I declined. I was concerned that a public march may incite some other extremists to take action against the islamic sector of our community. Very pleased to see that I was proved wrong.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

There are aspects of the recent public reaction which trouble me and many others. Certain moral contradictions. But, alas, I would guess this is not the place to discuss them.

Mary
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Good selection of cartoons from around the world: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ttack.html

Russell
kathyw
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kathyw »

Daphne wrote:Well done Malcolm! I am baptised Church of England, went to a Jewish School in Liverpool (The King David in Childwall) went on to marry a Spanish Catalan) Roman Catholic and had friends of all nationalities! When I was young my parents were racist, but I broke the mould with them! On one occasion I had friends around from and outside school, there were Italians, French, Spanish and a Morrocan ( not school friends) but Christian, Jewish and even the daughter of Jamaicans who were school friends. My Mother came into the room to serve refreshments and outside said to me it' like the 'Bl***y League of nations in there'!

How refreshing it was not to judge peoples religions or colours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Daphne
My nephew goes to King David and I'm from Childwall too !!!
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

Hi Kathyw, what a coincidence! Our son has a house in Childwall (let out at the moment as he's abroad). We lived in Abbeystead Rd before moving to Menlove Ave and then in 1986 to Perpignan now we live in Llupia. Do you get back to Liverpool often?
Regards Daphne.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Merisin wrote:There are aspects of the recent public reaction which trouble me and many others. Certain moral contradictions. But, alas, I would guess this is not the place to discuss them.

Mary
No indeed. Pearls before swine, and all that.
kathyw
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kathyw »

Daphne wrote:Hi Kathyw, what a coincidence! Our son has a house in Childwall (let out at the moment as he's abroad). We lived in Abbeystead Rd before moving to Menlove Ave and then in 1986 to Perpignan now we live in Llupia. Do you get back to Liverpool often?
Regards Daphne.
Small world. I used to live on Dudlow Lane. Get back about twice a year. You?
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

malcolmcooper wrote:
Ducie High School, Lloyd Street North, behind Whitworth Art Gallery. I don't think it's there any more. I think it's been swallowed into the Uni campus.
I'm afraid I don't know what it's like there now Malcolm, or if the school is still there. The last time I was there was about 12 years ago when one of my younger brothers was curious to see the various places where we had lived before he was born. I have to say it looked pretty grim, and I was a bit bothered that he wanted to take photographs. You can see if you look on Google streetview. My father owned dental labs where 'Arties' barbers now is. We lived upstairs. I prefer it here :D
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

I knew Moss Side at the time. We lived on Seymour Grove, Old Trafford, but previous to that we lived in Higher Broughton. I was born at Bella Vista during a bombardment (explains a lot!). Funny how so many Mancunians have begun a new life here.

The whole idea of last Sunday's march was a demonstration of solidarity, but also to show "them" (whoever "they" are) that they won't - ever - succeed in frightening us into burrowing into a hole.
Helen
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

It was a long time ago. I never lived in Moss Side, I lived in Cheetham Hill when it was a very Jewish area. Friends chose Ducie High School so I followed even though it was on the other side of the city.
Malcolm Cooper