"Here" mapping app for Android

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

"Here" mapping app for Android

Post by martyn94 »

I mentionned a few weeks ago - in the context of my cheap GPS-equipped Android tablet - that Nokia were promising a free Android mapping app with offline maps, including turn-by-turn navigation.

It is now available. Not through the App Store, so you have to download direct from the Nokia site (search on "here download") and permit your phone/tablet to install it (the download site tells you how). You can choose which countries, or parts of countries, to download: the whole of France, say, takes something over 1GB, so it helps to have an SD card if your device provides for this.

First impressions are pretty favourable (and it is said to be a beta, so should improve): extremely useful for forays into Spain, say, or use in France if you have a limited data allowance (or no phone signal at all, as with my tablet). In any event, well worth a trial, at the price.

One mystery: where do Nokia, Google etc find these high-class young gels to do the voice-over: straight out of Tatler?