Current FilmOn status

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Current FilmOn status

Post by Smiley G »

Has anyone noticed FilmOn being a little flaky recently in the evenings? Despite a steady broadband speed, FilmOn has been freezing/buffering more than normal and also some channels will not load.For example, watching, say BBC1 with no problems, you want to change channel and it will not load properly.
These problems exist with both the Apple iPad App. AND the FilmOn.com/TV Live website.
Unless it's because of the darker evenings and loads of extra people are hitting the FilmOn servers, I can't think of another reason. If anyone has any input that they want to share, all the better for shared info.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
malcolm4664
Rank 1
Rank 1

FILMON TV PROBLEMS.

Post by malcolm4664 »

After almost three months of seamfree reception from FilmOn for mainly BBC SD using Firefox and Google chrome on both our PC to TV via wifi and Android to TV via cable we too were very disappointed in the very poor reception that we have received this past week. The FilmOn techies are extremely helpful and I think that, they too, were caught out by this latest batch of problems.
Unfortunately there does not seem to be a quick fix. We have gone the long route and checked our Orange service which did have a few, but minor, problems. Strangely the problems also coincided with a hefty update by both Adobe and Java and our AVG service so have also gone back to them for an answer. Again there seem to have been a few problems as several updates are being sent out.

It seems that the best thing is to contact FilmOn and help them by completing their test programme. Rest assured that anything is better than the bland TV fodder that we were subjected to by both American and Canadian TV whilst visiting these countries recently.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

It seems to be particularly bad when Pat wants to watch Strictly Come Dancing. Otherwise we don't have too much problem so I guess it is a problem of congestion at Filmon's servers.

Russell.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

i am getting reports of evening problems on certain channels. I am trying to find out what has changed but Filmon Techies seem too be proceedure led. I am having to go through their 'Tests' and then maybe they will answer my questions...
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

i tried a variety of channels during yesterday evening with only an odd Buffer.....i did not see much difference between the xbmc addon filmon sd and the google app filmon sd access. However there wasn't a high demnd program airing.....
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

montgolfiere wrote:i am getting reports of evening problems on certain channels. I am trying to find out what has changed but Filmon Techies seem too be proceedure led. I am having to go through their 'Tests' and then maybe they will answer my questions...
Last night was fine until 9pm (French time) when More4 wouldn't load but BBC4 at the same time was perfect. However at 10pm, the film on BBC4 (Miss. Potter) was freezing/buffering at regular intervals.
It's odd. The only thing I have noticed is that problems, if you're going to get them, seem to occur "on the hour" (when programmes tend to change) or if you change channels :?:
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

We are finding it bad between 4 pm and 6 30 pm on the BBC 1 channels.
Dylan
Prosserp
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Prosserp »

We watch film on everynight and haven't had any problems whatsoever , in fact we were saying how stable it seems at the moment
We use an iPod connected to the tv and we live in Sorede , the tv is on from 4pm to 10 pm ish every night ...
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

It's been fine today. :)
Dylan
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

hopefully they have sorted their issues as it was ok here too.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

montgolfiere wrote:hopefully they have sorted their issues as it was ok here too.
It's sometimes a matter of pot luck as to which Filmon server you get connected to. I have done some tests of my internet speed according to Speedtest .net and downloading various packets of data from Filmon.com/support/check both morning and evening:

Time . . . . . . . . . . . 20:00 . . . . . 09:00

Speedtest.net . . . . . 6.5 Mb/s . . . . 8.6 Mb/s
Filmon server1 . . 1.2 - 1.5 Mb/s . 3.7 - 7.3 Mb/s
Filmon server2 . . 0.1 - 1.7 Mb/s . 2.3 - 6.7 Mb/s
Filmon server3 . . 1.3 - 3.7 Mb/s . 4.0 - 6.7 Mb/s

So, at 9 am I could watch in HD with no buffering and at 8 pm there would be buffering on HD and, if on server2, on SD as well.

Now the problem could be congestion at the server or somewhere in the network. Most probably at the server as one is much worse than the other two. I have sent a report to Filmon and await their comments.

Russell.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I have not followed the technical thread for ages......

But for the past week we have been having problems streaming from filmon via chromecast , we thought it was our internet speed, till we tested it and that was good for us, then my daughter said perhaps her phone was not powerfull enough (we normaly use a tablet) now I have read this thread I am happy it is not something we have done.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Bad again here last night :x

Russell.
JRH66300
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JRH66300 »

Every thing (Android Filmon and FTV addons) last night as my clock chimed 10 pm.
This morning all back to normal. Guess system overload during peak viewing.
JRH66300
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JRH66300 »

Important word STOPPED should be after everything. Sorry
domone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by domone »

I think it is likely be a problem of congestion.

-------------------------------
etuicoquesamsung
Last edited by domone on Wed 01 Apr 2015 06:26, edited 1 time in total.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

BBC1 on Sunday evening was perfect. Enjoyed War Horse without any problems whatsoever.
BBC1 Monday & Tuesday evenings a nightmare.
No drop in download speed just screen freezes and buffering.
I'm perplexed :roll:
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

did you try the regional variations of BBC1? were they all the same?
It appears that Filmon are having problems re capacity at the moment but i have heard they will be introducing new 'systems' before the end of the year Hopefully this will improve reliability.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

i watched BBC2 and then ITV1 between 19.30 and 2030 yesterday evening via an Android Box using the notfilmon addon HD Streams without a single Buffer. (we only have 2 mb/s here).

Any other reports would be useful to see if Filmon have actually solved their issues......
(i am imagining that 'no further discussion' suggests that things have actually settled back down!!!)
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

We had problems last night with the iPad App. but was OK with the website.
Sometimes, switching off the iPad and re-booting it seems to cure the problem.
JRH66300
Rank 1
Rank 1

MashUp alternative

Post by JRH66300 »

Try the XBMC Add-On "TV4ME" which has many TV series including Game of thrones. If you want a film database then install "Movis4Me".
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Smiley G wrote: Sometimes, switching off the iPad and re-booting it seems to cure the problem.
Filmon have several servers. If you disconnect and reconnect you might get a different one which might be better (or worse :( ). Just exiting the app without rebooting might not drop the current connection.

Russell.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

No problems tonight using the website and the Google Chrome App.
Interestingly enough, there was a Chrome App. update yesterday "Resolving Stability issues."
Kit: Apple Mini RD (running iOS8.1.1) and Apple AV Adaptor to hardwire iPad to Sony Bravia via HDMI cable.
My general observation, which is similar to Russell's comment is that changing channels can cause things to go awry.
The FilmON App. is still very flaky and it's interesting that there has not been an App. update in nearly a year. It has NOT been updated for iOS8.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Smiley G wrote: The FilmON App. is still very flaky and it's interesting that there has not been an App. update in nearly a year. It has NOT been updated for iOS8.
The Android version was updated about a week ago. Can't see any difference though.

Russell
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

FilmOn very problematical this weekend despite solid Orange broadband speed delivery and equipment checks running OK.
Loads of screen freezes and buffering. It makes you wonder what sort of service those who subscribe to the HD service get.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

i am watching Filmon in Germany at the moment and it is running very well, using both Google app and Android xbmc FTV. However the main French Channels still awol. watching telematin via the France2 website.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Smiley G wrote:FilmOn very problematical this weekend despite solid Orange broadband speed delivery and equipment checks running OK.
Loads of screen freezes and buffering. It makes you wonder what sort of service those who subscribe to the HD service get.
Even worse on HD! It always seems to start buffering at the start of Strictly so I guess it is overloading at Filmon's servers. It's still worth subscribing though to be able to use the Flimon App without adverts and to be able to record and download. If you download a recorded program before playing it there is no buffering.

Russell.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

russell wrote:
Smiley G wrote:FilmOn very problematical this weekend despite solid Orange broadband speed delivery and equipment checks running OK.
Even worse on HD! It always seems to start buffering at the start of Strictly so I guess it is overloading at Filmon's servers. It's still worth subscribing though to be able to use the Flimon App without adverts and to be able to record and download. If you download a recorded program before playing it there is no buffering.

Russell.
From what I have seen, Zattoo seems to provide a more reliable service than Filmon, particularly with a subscription which lets you watch in HD without adverts and with a 7 day catch-up service.

You do however need a suitable SmartDNS to watch it and a Swiss VPN to subscribe. Overplay satisfies both requirements.