Bringing a 'phone line 200 metres to one's property - cost ?

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Bringing a 'phone line 200 metres to one's property - cost ?

Post by rhys »

I keep a 'mobil-home' on a year-round Camping in Argel`es.

There are telegraph poles around the site, however the nearest one to me is maybe ( I'm guessing ) some 200 metres away. Too far anyway for a cable to be just drooped from the pole to my caravan.

Does anyone have any experience with getting the basic FranceTelecom line brought from some distance away to their property ? eg does FT have some kind of statutory duty to install it and if so at what cost ?

I did once manage to have an engineer visit - organized by the FT shop on the outskirts of Perpignan - and he took measurements and said that FT would write to me with all details - however they never did and I let the matter drop.

Some idea of costs would be v. useful in helping me decide if it's all worth it.
EILEEN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by EILEEN »

Hi. Do you think you might need to go through the Camping site owner rather than ask for the line yourself?
EILEEN
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rhys »

I already asked the management.
Of course I can do nothing without their permission.

They basically will do nothing about it themselves; but are ok if I get it sorted - provided there is no cost whatever to them.

So the Q remains does anyone on this Forum have any experience of the mechanics and cost of getting FT to bring a line to a house from some 200 metres -ish distance ?
malcolm4664
Rank 1
Rank 1

ORANGE Telephone to caravan

Post by malcolm4664 »

From the map it looks as if you already have four mobile phone masts in your immediate area. Suggest you pop down to Leclerc in Perpignan and buy yourself a DORO unlocked phone and a contract free Leclerc SIM card. The lot will cost you about £70 and you can be up and running on day 1. All you have to pay to keep the line is about 2€ a month by Bankers order. The phone can be used in the UK as well as the rest of Europe. DORO is son of NOKIA and has tremendous range of battery power and facilities for the price

However if you want the trauma of having a landline suggest you call direct to 0969363900 ( Orange English) and ask for MR Burton who is Irish. He will guide you through the connection and ridiculous costs route.

France Telecom were purchased by Orange a year or two ago.
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rhys »

I already have both French and English pre pay 'phones.

I want the wired connection principally for internet and maybe eventually for TV if the satellite stops working.

[ No, there are no FON or BT hotspots in my area either. ]
geoff.smith
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: ORANGE Telephone to caravan

Post by geoff.smith »

malcolm4664 wrote:From the map it looks as if you already have four mobile phone masts in your immediate area. Suggest you pop down to Leclerc in Perpignan and buy yourself a DORO unlocked phone and a contract free Leclerc SIM card. The lot will cost you about £70 and you can be up and running on day 1. All you have to pay to keep the line is about 2€ a month by Bankers order. The phone can be used in the UK as well as the rest of Europe. DORO is son of NOKIA and has tremendous range of battery power and facilities for the price

However if you want the trauma of having a landline suggest you call direct to 0969363900 ( Orange English) and ask for MR Burton who is Irish. He will guide you through the connection and ridiculous costs route.

Hi M maybe a good time to read the question again..i presume 99% of punters have mobile phones,cdlm G

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

geoff.smith wrote:
[/quote]

France Telecom SA were not purchased by anyone: they simply renamed themself Orange SA, having acquired the "orange" brand name by acquiring the UK mobile phone company, and then extended that brand to successively wider parts of their business.
geoff.smith
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by geoff.smith »

martyn94 wrote:
geoff.smith wrote:
France Telecom SA were not purchased by anyone: they simply renamed themself Orange SA, having acquired the "orange" brand name by acquiring the UK mobile phone company, and then extended that brand to successively wider parts of their business.[/quote]

"""France Telecom were purchased by Orange a year or two ago. """ Hi not my quote i think its Malcom4664 ah ah G