Help please - Smart TV anyone?

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Help please - Smart TV anyone?

Post by Kate »

We are just busy trying to set up our TV with english channels following the expert advice of kind forum members. A thought tho....what if you have a smart TV? Our brand-new-for-Christmas TV has Internet and wifi connexion. could we download Filmon directly and if so what next? Struggling here as really not the sharpest screwdriver in the tool box when it comes to teckie stuff and hubby sharper, but still only a chisel!
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Oh...if I had a hammer, I'd.....

:lol:

No seriously, OH says you should be able to connect direct
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

The possibility of downloading the Filmon app depends on the make/model of TV. From what I can make out most have their own branded app store. If that doesn't have Filmon and there is no access to the Google Playstore it is a bit difficult and you would have to install it from a .apk file which is a bit tricky.

An alternative would be to fire up the internet browser and go to filmon.com. From there you should be able to watch Filmon.

Russell.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

As Russel said, the Smart TVs have, for some reason, decided to restrict the channels that they make available. Most of which are pointless if you have any other form of internet device. Eg who would use Facebook and Twitter via their TV?

Some are better than others. I think Sony may be best as it accesses the Sone Entertainment Network which has a large library of films.

What you can access is determined by your IP address and/or DNS as they are region-restricted - see that other thread where Allan explains it well.

Here you can see what services you could get from various TVs using Unotelly as the smartDNS service.

http://help.unotelly.com/support/solutions
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Santiago wrote:As Russel said, the Smart TVs have, for some reason, decided to restrict the channels that they make available. Most of which are pointless if you have any other form of internet device. Eg who would use Facebook and Twitter via their TV?

Some are better than others. I think Sony may be best as it accesses the Sone Entertainment Network which has a large library of films.

What you can access is determined by your IP address and/or DNS as they are region-restricted - see that other thread where Allan explains it well.

Here you can see what services you could get from various TVs using Unotelly as the smartDNS service.

http://help.unotelly.com/support/solutions
That is an excellent web site and indeed would benefit users of other Smart DNS services

I have a Sony Smart Blu-Ray player and a Samsung Smart TV, personally I prefer the Samsung, the Sony doesn't have the ITV Player or 4OD whereas the Samsung has all the catch up services.

The instructions that they give for setting up various devices and apply equally to OverPlay.net - just substitute 176.67.84.19 and 178.79.166.52 for the DNS server addresses.

Overplay and UnoTelly seem very similar, I tested Unotelly a while back and it worked fine except for a few services. It didn't work on Sky OnDemand or with the catchup services on Freesat.

Overplay does work with those services and seems a bit more comprehensive, in particular there are only 2 DNS addresses whichever country's TV you wish to access. It may be that UnoTelly has now added those services.

Both services cost about the same when paying monthly. Unotelly unquestionably provides better setup information but as I said, you can use their information to set up Overplay.

I haven't come across any Smart TVs or Blu-Ray players that have an app for Filmon, so look with one with a browser that supports Filmon - again Samsung scores well and a specific App isn't necessary.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

There you are Kate easy peasy. Do you understand any of that. I was OK so far as smart tv then lost the plot or indeed the will to live :lol:
Dylan
Mimmi
Rank 2
Rank 2

connect mobile to Panasonic TV maybe possible

Post by Mimmi »

Thanks for that discussion. :) :) Reading this I just realised I might be able to download the Filmon app to my smartphone and than connect the smartphone to our Panasonic TV with Viera software :roll: Voila - the download to the smartphone has worked and I can watch BBC on it. The remaining question is if I will be able to connect to our French TV via panasonic remote app. As I am currently not in France I cannot check.
So the answer to how to receive Filmon on a TV set might be a Panasonic TV with Wifi and Viera software (we bought it for 340 € in Figueres) and a smartphone with Filmon and Panasonic remote app. I will let you know in about 2 weeks when we will be back in France if it works but I am pretty optimistic.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

That's a nice solution. I have the same TV so will have to try it.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Or perhaps we could all just get out more. Given the heavy-duty intellectual effort going into access to UK tv, you might think that it was worth watching. What are you getting that I am missing?
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Benidorm and Outnumbered + of Course the Rugby!!!!!!
Satbloke66
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Satbloke66 »

montgolfiere wrote:Benidorm and Outnumbered + of Course the Rugby!!!!!!
LIKE !!!

(except for Benidorm).................
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

Use this to stream from more recent iPhone/iPads

http://www.amazon.fr/num%C3%A9rique-dAp ... Apple+HDMI
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Thats what we use Malcolm, we download onto our ipad, then plug that in to a HDMI lead, voilà..watch it on the big screen.. so easy..
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Martyn asked what we are all watching, at the moment not much due to the tablet not charging! but myself and youngest have to go to catchup for Edge of Heaven on Friday nights :lol:
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

OK, I'll declare what I'm watching via internet...

Netflix: Breaking Bad, Weeds, House of Cards

iPlayer: Line of Duty, Top Gear

Blinkbox: Gravity, Captain Phillips

All quite enough for me and I'll be watching less as the days get longer. I don't miss the satellite channels at all but then I'm not a big sports fan and for news I still have Sky or CNN.
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.