BBC channels

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Phipplebert

BBC channels

Post by Phipplebert »

I'm not exactly at the forefront of technology and nor do I have a buzzing technological mind (as some of you have already found out :D )...
Not that bbc have 'gone' what does this mean for other channels? I.e. Itv, channel 4 and associated groups? This morning we seem to have channel 5 back, so I'm quite confused! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Its time for that big dish or an IPTV box :(

Russell.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: BBC channels

Post by Allan »

Phipplebert wrote:I'm not exactly at the forefront of technology and nor do I have a buzzing technological mind (as some of you have already found out :D )...
Not that bbc have 'gone' what does this mean for other channels? I.e. Itv, channel 4 and associated groups? This morning we seem to have channel 5 back, so I'm quite confused! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:
I hope you are getting on well with your French TV :-)

BBC is the first of the broadcasters to be transferred to the new satellite, ITV and Channel 4 are expected to follow shortly.

We are just outside the edge of the satellite beam but the satellite wobbles a bit so every now and then we might be in it, hence channel 5 appearing.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

We have been talking about this happening for about 6 months.

Allan, Malcolm, Russel and Montgolfier have all offered great advice.

I'm chilling out watching BBC Iplayer on my PS3 with a smartDNS package that costs $4 a month.

Check out the threads in the Geek/Hi Tech section. Really helpful advice.

Satellite is dead baby!
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

I know it's been talked about for ages but I got quite lost in it all! :oops:

I think I'm up to speed a bit now with some advice for the technologically challenged from Allan. I just didn't understand why we still had itv and channel 4...I must have missed the bit where people said it was moving in stages.

At the moment I'm just pleased we can watch the Olympics in French :D
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Phipplebert wrote: At the moment I'm just pleased we can watch the Olympics in French :D
Baron de Coubertin would be proud: his Games bringing us together across boundaries of race, language, taste in soft drinks...

Oh, sorry, no. Apparently you get disqualified if you say that you have drunk Pepsi rather than Coke. Or is it the other way round?

As regards satellites, it is a comfort in a way that the necessary dish seems to be so huge, at least in Port-Vendres, as to be well beyond contemplation for me. It saves a lot of agonising over whether the signal is up or down a few percent today, and what that might say for the future.
malcolm4664
Rank 1
Rank 1

BBC Satellite reception

Post by malcolm4664 »

http://www.a516digital.com/2014/02/bbc- ... ra-2e.html

Here's a useful site for BBC addicts like myself. BBC and Freestat contractors look at this site daily so add your comments with clear indications of position, dish size, weather etc.,it will also help clear the air about what's really happening to our signals.

For BBC Olympics scroll back from 101 to 982 for BBC Red Button HD. We received this even with no other BBC stations.

We get all the other stations including God Slots, etc etc but not 5, thank goodness..

BBC Radio in all regions also seems to have disappeared. Good riddance. We use LBC 97.3, Classic FM and Heart for all our English entertainment.
All are available through FreeStat.

Personally we are holding fire on upgrades as I hear that the satellite owners are having trouble with the final position of their satellite. Look at what you have instead. Replace the LNB and feed cable into the dish junction box house if installation is over five years old with a two outlet LNB unit and the best Co axial cable and connections you can afford. Change all internal connections to latest type. Re boot your receiver weekly and go through a fresh SET UP routine to blow out the cob webs until things settle down. Don't panic!!

We use a Vivanco speakers and kit to distribute radio through the house from BigSky satellite, John Sidwell. No connection except satisfied customer.
He will give you lots of useful info about getting BBC if all else fails.
malcolm4664
Rank 1
Rank 1

Correction

Post by malcolm4664 »

John Sidwell is on BigDishsat.com

Slight case of brain fade I am afraid
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

I don't know if this method has been talked about recently,
For those who have any apple I pad I pod I phone .
I have just bought an Apple TV box 109 euros from bolounger
Plugged it into the tv via a hdmi cable ,from my I phone I connect to filmon tv press the command to stream to the Apple TV box and hey presto bbc channels on my telly it couldn't be easier
It is playing now through an I pod touch .
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

We started to use filmon last night, using my MacBook and a cable linking it straight to the tv, not using the Apple TV box. It works a treat, except that occasionally the picture turns greenish (looks like the incredible hulk is on :lol: ) so we disconnect and reconnect the cable and it's fine again.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

interiors66 wrote:I don't know if this method has been talked about recently,
For those who have any apple I pad I pod I phone .
I have just bought an Apple TV box 109 euros from bolounger
Plugged it into the tv via a hdmi cable ,from my I phone I connect to filmon tv press the command to stream to the Apple TV box and hey presto bbc channels on my telly it couldn't be easier
It is playing now through an I pod touch .
The iPad has some of the best TV apps going. They exist for BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD, Demand 5 and Sky Go. To use any of these you need a VPN or SmartDNS.

4OD and Sky Go cannot be used with the Apple TV but BBC ITV and Demand 5 can be shown directly on your TV using the Airplay Mirroring feature of the iPad.

The Apple TV itself can also show you Sky News
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

sue and paul wrote:We started to use filmon last night, using my MacBook and a cable linking it straight to the tv, not using the Apple TV box. It works a treat, except that occasionally the picture turns greenish (looks like the incredible hulk is on :lol: ) so we disconnect and reconnect the cable and it's fine again.
Sounds like you have a faulty cable.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

montgolfiere wrote:
sue and paul wrote:We started to use filmon last night, using my MacBook and a cable linking it straight to the tv, not using the Apple TV box. It works a treat, except that occasionally the picture turns greenish (looks like the incredible hulk is on :lol: ) so we disconnect and reconnect the cable and it's fine again.
Sounds like you have a faulty cable.
Maybe you have a Bio cable????? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
JRH66300
Rank 1
Rank 1

Watch Sports

Post by JRH66300 »

Just discovered www.wiziwig.tv for live sports. Watch Olympics, rugby etc
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

just had to switch to my fta iptv box, as the bbc is breaking up on my 125 Gilbertini, to continue watching the Rugby on Filmon. watching in HD on a 2mb/s connection with NO BUFFERING.
There must be a big audience for this which leads me to think anyone having 'Issues' with Filmon ( who have a 2mb/s + Connection) have a faulty 'personal/local' Internet connection.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Our FilmOn working perfectly on Apple iPad (WiFi from Orange Livebox) and streaming to television via an Apple TV box with an optical cable to the HiFi.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.