Arriving in Collioure next month!

A place for new members to say a quick hello and introduce themselves.

Moderator: Moderators

zobirdie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Arriving in Collioure next month!

Post by zobirdie »

Hi all!

I thought I would introduce myself! Canadian woman moving to Collioure for the winter season... and... who knows... :) If I like it, I will try and find something in the area that is permanent!

Coming from 5.5 years in Berlin- another Berlin winter would have killed me! :) ( am from the warm part of canada! Yes! There is such a thing!)

Anyway... will be there as of Oct. 1! Anyone in the area, drop me a note!

Bird
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Admin »

Hi Bird and welcome to the forum....
Sounds like you're in for a great winter.
Have fun! :lol:
PatrickF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PatrickF »

You will enjoy Collioure, we are September, Oct, November residents. Have a look at the new web-cam for Collioure, fired up this week I think.

http://www.cg66.fr/1404-la-webcam-de-collioure.htm

Great part of the world!
zobirdie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zobirdie »

Hi!

Thanks for the welcome! Bit daunted after being in a city of 3.5 million, to go to a village of 3500. :)

But I am super excited! Are there lots of expats there?

Birdie
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

Bienvenue chez nous

You've chosen a great place to live. Provided you have transport. The nearest decent shopping is in Argeles. Only a few minutes by car but public transport is another story.

There are quite a few ex-pats living along the coastal strip. From all over the English speaking world. Mostly, in our experience, they keep a pretty low profile so you probably won't find a welcoming committee on your doorstep. But you'll probably meet people as you move around and get invites. At least that's our experience

Bon chance

Mary
zobirdie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zobirdie »

Car? What is this strange thing you refer to? I have heard of such things, and almost been run over by them, but they are not a part of my vocab.

In Berlin, only adults have cars! And.. while I might look like one... oh... I fail at adult! :)

But I have feet and patience to wait for transit! :D It will be an experience.

Don't expect a welcoming committee! Just curious. My french was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... Speaking the heathen tongue of my people from time to time would be a nice thing!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Hi Bird
Welcome to the forum and the area. There are many numerous english speaking expats in the area, especially Laroque. Some of us want to keep ourselves to ourselves or prefer to mingle with the French. Either way I am sure you will find everyone friendly. There is a cafe, La Noisette, opposite the Church, in Argeles where many Brits meet or Cafe des Artistes in Laroque. Collioure is a buzz of activity in the summer with many many tourists and quiet in winter. Collioure has a station and the train will take you to Perpignan via Argeles and Elne and then on to wherever you want to go. There is a pretty regular bus service charging you the worldly sum of 1€ for wherever you want to go in the PO up to a 2hr journey I believe. I have lived, on a permanent basis, for almost 8 years and love it here. I am sure you will do to.
Dylan
zobirdie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zobirdie »

Hi Dylan!

Thanks for the info! :) I am really excited.

I really need a different pace of life from the one here. But I could just be feeling it today. Had the 'last summer sat night' in berlin last night. It was a slice!

I am actually kind of amused. I am a military historian (WWI&II) which is why I have been in Berlin, and I thought... oh.. very south of france, I will be completely away from soldiers and all things war related... then I found out about the commando school! Hee Hee! I can't escape the military- even when I try!
patricko
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by patricko »

zobirdie wrote:Car? What is this strange thing you refer to? I have heard of such things, and almost been run over by them, but they are not a part of my vocab.

In Berlin, only adults have cars! And.. while I might look like one... oh... I fail at adult! :)

But I have feet and patience to wait for transit! :D It will be an experience.

Don't expect a welcoming committee! Just curious. My french was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... Speaking the heathen tongue of my people from time to time would be a nice thing!
Get a bicycle :) I'll bring mine when I arrive in january!
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

zobirdie wrote: I am a military historian (WWI&II) which is why I have been in Berlin, and I thought... oh.. very south of france,
Plenty of military history here; Spanish Civil War, concentration camp at Rivesaltes, dynamite factory close to you, ...

Russell.
zobirdie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zobirdie »

Yeah, I was doing some reading. I am so excited to be in the area!!!!