Best restaurant in the world

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Best restaurant in the world

Post by Allan »

El Celler de Can Roca in Girona has just been voted the best restaurant in the world.

Nice to have somewhere special on our doorstep.

Heston Blumenthal came in at number 7 but no French restaurants made the top 10

http://www.theworlds50best.com/list/1-50-winners/
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

That will just make it even harder to get a table :(

Notice that 2 of the top 10 are in San Sebastian.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Santiago wrote:That will just make it even harder to get a table :(

Notice that 2 of the top 10 are in San Sebastian.

They don't take bookings more than 6 months in advance, I had to book about 5 1/2 months in advance.

They take bookings by email so you can give a range of suitable dates.

This may of course change now that they have been voted no 1 rather then their previous No 2
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Here's an alternative take on the announcement. The French is a bit difficult at first but the article further down makes interesting reading.

http://ideesliquidesetsolides.blogspot. ... ement.html
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Santiago wrote:Here's an alternative take on the announcement. The French is a bit difficult at first but the article further down makes interesting reading.

http://ideesliquidesetsolides.blogspot. ... ement.html
Did you really find this interesting? The guy doesn't actually say very much- just waffles and he clearly doesn't know the more recent history of Gary Glitter.
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

Allan wrote:..... and he clearly doesn't know the more recent history of Gary Glitter.
Is this not a reference to the more recent "history"

une éphémère célébrité du rock n' roll qu'on aurait même complètement oubliée, si des fait-divers ne l'avaient faite revenir,
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

clicks "like"

I follow this blogger. He does some clever stuff with pictures and text. The French is often difficult to translate as it uses lots of contemporary cultural phrases (like a lot of English journalists do) but it's a good challenge to understanding la vrai langue.

I also like people who challenge these industry-organised back-slapping rankings. It's like the BAFTAS and the Oscars. I see it all the time in the wine world and for the most part the rankings are paid-for.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Santiago wrote:clicks "like"

I also like people who challenge these industry-organised back-slapping rankings. It's like the BAFTAS and the Oscars. I see it all the time in the wine world and for the most part the rankings are paid-for.
That's a fairly cynical view, if you look at the judging panel, it is pretty extensive. You seem happy to quote rankings on your own site., are your awards/reviews the exception to the norm?

I don't think many people would argue that the winners have all been exceptional restaurants though 'best' is always subjective.

As for your blogger, maybe your French is better than mine but to me he didn't seem to be challenging very much, just waffling.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

There's no doubting that to be included in a top-10 list means the restaurant is exceptional but as you say "best" is subjective. The question is what is influencing the judging panel and organisers within that subjectivity.

When you speak to restaurateurs you get some insight into how it all works.

Wine is even more subjective and open to bias than restaurants and you only have to look at the wineries who get awarded "Best in ...." to realise that it is heavily linked to advertising, consultancy and PR spend and association with other famous names.

I don't want to make this a personal thing but my views on wine awards, competitions and rankings are clearly stated on the "reviews" page of my website. I avoid pay-to-enter competitions. I send samples to critics whose integrity and judgement I respect. Sometimes my importers will submit samples too.