Good quality house paint

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

John58
Rank 1
Rank 1

Good quality house paint

Post by John58 »

Suggestion please - which brands of paint, wood preservative etc. are high quality and suitable for exterior house use on walls, shutters, metal railings.

Many thanks,

John
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

Darn good paint at a good price here....

http://www.ukpaintdepot.com/

(and before anyone even thinks about suggesting it I am not on any sort of commission)
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
PatrickF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Good quality house paint

Post by PatrickF »

John58 wrote:Suggestion please - which brands of paint, wood preservative etc. are high quality and suitable for exterior house use on walls, shutters, metal railings.

Many thanks,

John
Most good paints are now made to a standard but the condition of the sub strate is very important.
Get the surface you are painting back to what it was when new and you have the same chance as with new work.
Scrape,wirebrush, sand and wash down - have a good look for any bits that don't look right and fix.Then start with primers for the bare stuff, seal and undercoat for the rest-follow the instructions and make sure you get adaquate coverage of paint on to all surfaces.
High quality paints will only work on very well prepared surfaces.
Mike Gelsthorpe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Good Quality House Paint

Post by Mike Gelsthorpe »

Two years ago I renovated some external wooden shutters. After preparation, I applied one coat of Julien sous-couche bois exterieur followed by one coat of Astral Protect'bois. The paint has lasted well so far, even on south-facing shutters. In my opinion the paint is equal, if not better quality than premium brand paints available in the UK. But it is very expensive!
John58
Rank 1
Rank 1

Many Thanks

Post by John58 »

Thanks Mike, much appreciated.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

The usual product for shutters here is "lazure", lots of different makes. This is a sort of breathable coloured varnish similar to Ronseal. It seems to work well here and lasts up to five years depending on exposure.

Russell.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

russell wrote:The usual product for shutters here is "lazure", lots of different makes. This is a sort of breathable coloured varnish similar to Ronseal. It seems to work well here and lasts up to five years depending on exposure.

Russell.
I've tried the "brilliant" and "satin" but both tend to bubble in a few years. The last version is "mat" and it's the best for my house. It looks good longer and it's only needing of a brushing of a brass brass and then you can put the lazure direct. It allows the wood to breathe, from what the tin says.

The two versions usually need sanding.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.