Help with elderly parent please

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

Maggie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help with elderly parent please

Post by Maggie »

Hello PO folk, my name is Maggie and I have lived in this beautiful region for many years and, with my husband, have had an extremely happy life here. Six years ago we moved my mother over here to live with us,due to her failing health. I was then working part time, so still had a lot of spare time to take her out and care for her,but also had a life of my own.
This has now all changed since I stopped work a year ago, my mother is now slowly but surely taking over my life,as she is always calling me to do things for her.This I didn't mind at first, as she is partially handicapped with a severe back problem.Things have now started to get out of hand recently and feel I need some sort of respite from her, so that at least my husband and I can have some time alone at home. She is now 87 years old and I feel that she needs to spend some time with people of her own age. I was wondering if anybody could help me out,please? Maybe there's somebody else out there in a similar situation who would like to share outings or just conversation? Are there any clubs for the elderly? I would sincerely appreciate any ideas or offers from Forum members and I am open to your suggestions of help. Thank You Maggie
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

Bump.
Have you tried asking at your local mairie? If they don't know someone they may know of local sheltered type of housing or old people's homes (not sure quite what they are called here myself).
Or have you asked your doctor, I doubt they will be able to tell you of anyone directly but hey may let you put a flyer or some leaflets up to find someone?
I don't know your financial situation but you can get au pairs for the elderly now which may also be worth considering. Normally they expect a room and €80/100 a week + food.
PatrickF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PatrickF »

Phipplebert wrote: I don't know your financial situation but you can get au pairs for the elderly now which may also be worth considering.
My wife looks after an 89 year old lady two days a week [10am to 2pm] her family are happy to pay as this gives them a small break.
This very lovely lady can invite her own friends for lunch with her which my wife prepares, serves and does all the cleaning up etc before leaving.
My wife enjoys the interaction but knows it won't last forever!
Hope this helps - many people must be in the same situation, you may have to spend/invest a little to give your goodselves some free time.
Cheers
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

care elderly

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

Hello Maggie,
I don't know where you live but in most villages in the area there's a club for Troisième Âge or "Seniors". They hold knitting/sewing groups, etc. This would give you only a couple of hours respite 2 or 3 times a week, but maybe better than nothing.. Does your Mum speak French?
Are you Church goers? You'd perhaps get some info there...good souls who'd be happy to take out an elderly lady now & then.

Helen
PatrickF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PatrickF »

I do think that older parents now and in the future will need a lot more than club type outings - they from all accounts love to entertain at home and enjoy immensly the company of their offspring. Wanting to know about relationships - whose dating whom and what do you you think about the current administration. How is the goverment going?
Engage and you will be amazed!
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Maggie, I have sent you a pm.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Maggie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Maggie »

Thank you all for your very helpful replies and suggestions, unfortunately we cannot afford to pay for help, but are looking into some clubs and things, just so hard to get her motivated!!