snakes

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

Teejaykay
Rank 1
Rank 1

snakes

Post by Teejaykay »

So (being an Australian & used to snakes in the summer), as I'm about to spend a first summer in the P-O, are snake-experiences very common there when out walking? I've looked a bit on the net, but am interested to know people's own encounters with them -- what kinds, any other info.

Where I come from we are well used to keeping out of their way, but I'm keen to know about the local equivalents...
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Teejaykay
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Teejaykay »

Thanks, Kate. What a beauty! I clicked on the photo to have a closer look.
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

Never found a snake in the PO while out walking, but we found a metre-long one (probably a grass snake) swimming happily in our pool two weeks ago. It was netted and returned to the wild, apparently none the worse for wear.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

There are several snakes around. I see them quite often. The big green one about 1m long and 3-4 cm diameter is a harmless grass-snake. The other common one is a little grey one about 30cm long and 1-2 cm diameter, also harmless.

The one to watch out for is the viper. Also grey but mottled and with a distinctive "V" on its head. V for venomous. You find them up in the rocky bits of the Fenouilledes.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Jonzjob
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jonzjob »

Reviving this thread. I thought that it may be a good isea to give a method of identifying most of the snakes that we have here. So here is the link for Plante Passion. It is a very interesting site.

http://www.planetepassion.eu/_index.htm
John.
Now that I know what it's all for, it's either worn out or fallen off!
http://jonzjob.hpage.com
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Surprisingly 10 to 15 people die each year from snake bites in Europe as opposed to 2 to 4 in Australia. However don't panic, you are more likely to be killed by lightening strike that by a snake! Most of the snakebite deaths in Europe are a result of being bitten by Vipera ammodytes which doesn't occur here.

Russell.
Jonzjob
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jonzjob »

I would think that if you took a per capita count between Aussy and Europe the figure would be very different? good awd Wiki..

Europe, approx 740.000.000 heads
Aussy approx 22,000,000

Blimey, no wonder Europe's crouded :shock:
John.
Now that I know what it's all for, it's either worn out or fallen off!
http://jonzjob.hpage.com
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

So less than 1 in 50 million chance in Europe as a whole. Much less here as the vipera ammodytes isn't found in the South of France.

Russell.