Train

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

smithkei
Rank 1
Rank 1

Train

Post by smithkei »

Does anyone know when the Tgv goes to Barcelona from London
:)
PatrickF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PatrickF »

....and will it stop in Collioure? 8)
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Well there's this announcement

http://www.lindependant.fr/2013/01/09/p ... 716681.php

It won't stop at Collioure, it won't even go through it (that's why they built the new TGV line) but you can change trains at Perpignan.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
PatrickF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PatrickF »

That is great news -so pleased the link does not come through here.
smithkei
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by smithkei »

PatrickF wrote:That is great news -so pleased the link does not come through here.
:) I suppose you are an English,NIMBY,then.
PatrickF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PatrickF »

:french: & don't live near the Gare
smithkei
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by smithkei »

PatrickF wrote::french: & don't live near the Gare
:wink: You don't live in Collioure then.
smithkei
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by smithkei »

So why are you so pleased its not coming through Collioure ?
geoff.smith
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Train

Post by geoff.smith »

smithkei wrote:Does anyone know when the Tgv goes to Barcelona from London
:)
..........2019.the work on TGV line has not even started between perpignan and montpellier..sorry G
PatrickF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PatrickF »

smithkei wrote:
PatrickF wrote::french: & don't live near the Gare
:wink: You don't live in Collioure then.
Not all year! just got good news from a friend in New Zealand, anyone here met Alain, top man.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nation ... 6556991559
Debbie and Noel

Post by Debbie and Noel »

Assuming that the Spanish and French TGV sets share common operating systems then a Barcelona to Paris/Lille link would be feasible without change of rolling stock. After all the TGV gets through to Perpignan even though it does the last 400 km on normal tracks.

But a direct service to London would not be possible. Only Eurostars can pass through the Chunnel. Thus a change of train is inevitable. On current prices I doubt if the train could compete with the airlines. Trains typically cost 3 or 4 times as much per seat/kilometer as modern planes.

Noel
HH

Post by HH »

Noel, there are daily TGV from Bruxelles to Perpignan and Figueres via Lille.
:oops: :oops: :oops:
Debbie and Noel

HH wrote:Noel, there are daily TGV from Bruxelles to Perpignan and Figueres via Lille.
:oops: :oops: :oops:
True enough. But the original question was Barcelona to LONDON

Noel
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Debbie and Noel wrote:Only Eurostars can pass through the Chunnel.
Is there any technical difference between the TGV and the Eurostar or is it just the name?

Russell.
HH

Post by HH »

russell wrote:
Debbie and Noel wrote:Only Eurostars can pass through the Chunnel.
Is there any technical difference between the TGV and the Eurostar or is it just the name?

Russell.
No difference Russell it is the standard European Gauge.
Noel, Eurotunnel will rent their facilities and lines to who ever wishes to rent them, at the moment only Europort ( Frieght) ,Eurotunnel Shuttle and Eurostar use the facilities but Deutsche Bahn AG, the German Railway intends to run Frankfurt to London services.

Eurotunnel currently levies Eurostar 25€ PP for a return journey.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Talking about trains competing with flights, although the cost of a train ticket is often more expensive than a budget flight, one has to consider all the extras of the flight.

Getting to and from the airports or parking fees, check-in baggage, buying stuff in the airport, buying stuff on the plane, etc.

Sometimes the train is a better option, particularly when you have work to do en route or you have a fair bit to carry.
Debbie and Noel

Santiago wrote:Talking about trains competing with flights, although the cost of a train ticket is often more expensive than a budget flight, one has to consider all the extras of the flight.

Getting to and from the airports or parking fees, check-in baggage, buying stuff in the airport, buying stuff on the plane, etc.

Sometimes the train is a better option, particularly when you have work to do en route or you have a fair bit to carry.
I am inclined to disagree with some of your points.. If we are talking specifically about trips from the PO to the UK then much of your argument is questionable. Unless you live in Central London or near Ashford then you are faced with the expense of getting to the station to board the Eurostar. The majority of TGV/Eurostar journeys require a transfer in Paris on the Metro. So mountains of luggage are out. Unless you take a taxi. The plane journey is so quick that there is no need to buy extras en route. Apart from a bottle of water.

I bow to the superior technical knowledge of HH. I guess I was thinking of the situation before the high speed link was built and the Eurostars had to use the live rail system.

Noel
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

Eurostar

Post by tubs »

When you purchase a Eurostar ticket it entitles you to a very much reduced train ticket from some local stations to St Pancras.Not a lot of people know this and it is not widely publicised.
From our station in Oxfordshire to London St Pancras, including the tube transfer, costs £7.50 per person one way (for travel at peak and off peak times) as opposed to £20 to £25 normal single fare.
There is a special telephone number to ring to buy the local tickets. We have benefitted from this many times as we use the train to get to the PO now rather than fly.
There is a list of stations on the Eurostar website where the discount applies.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I wasn't thinking specifically of the UK at large. London is a possibility but I've always gone for the plane. I was thinking more about other EU destinations.