English Cocker Spaniel Puppies

Post all topics on our furry 4 legged friends here.

Moderator: Moderators

Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

English Cocker Spaniel Puppies

Post by Smiley G »

We're looking to buy a Cocker Spaniel puppy from mid January. Does anyone know of a breeder in P.O.?
This is probably more a local knowledge question as we know you can search on Google France.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Please dont buy from a breeder until you have first considered rehoming a dog and taken a look at the SPA Perpignan.
Dylan
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Understand totally what you're saying Sue and agree wholeheartedly..... but if you're in love with a particular breed, know that it fits in perfectly with your family and lifestyle.....well, it's difficult. I know that I am torn between giving an abandoned dog a much needed home, and my love for Pyrenean shepherds. Still struggling with decision and may end up getting one of each! :roll:
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

there is also the spa in carcassonne ( that is run by an english lady), they have all sorts of dogs . Doglinks is also a good one, (also english). You might find just the dog you are looking for on their websites or facebook pages.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Doglinks is excellent.... I love the way they describe the dogs, they put such detail and care into each one
http://doglinks-france.com
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

yes and the lady arranges transport if the dog is not nearby. I have just adopted a pekinese through her that was in a spa in Gueret(23). She managed to arrange to get him to carcassonne for me, he was in a really bad way and it was toucn and go for a couple of weeks as he had given up and would not eat. If she hadn't put him on her site he would probably be dead now. In carcassonne the lady is very good also and refuses to have an animal put down even if they are full to the brim, she works with the lady at doglinks to try and place her dogs. They are very honest and will tell you all the good and bad they know of each dog so there is less risk of it being abandonned a second time.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Oh Lisa another one. How many do you have in total now. Wish we had room for more.
Dylan
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

8! he's just a little oldie so easy to handle. saw his picture and that was it! Was feeding him by hand to get something down him, the lady at the spa rang me and told me he was refusing to eat the last few days that he was there, clipped all his fur off the first day as there were sores underneath because it was so thick , there was nothing left of him he was just skin and bone. he is now eating like a wolf .
Debbie and Noel

Post by Debbie and Noel »

I do not wish to spoil the party but I do feel a few words of caution are in order.

In my limited experience taking on a dog or cat can have big downsides for ex-pats living in France. Most of us seem to need to return to the UK, or wherever, quite frequently. Sometimes at very short notice. At which point you have to decide what to do with your pet. Not so bad if you are driving and the animal is chipped etc. But most of us prefer to fly.

All of a sudden you have another layer of complication. Fine if you have obliging family or very understanding friends living close by. Otherwise problems and considerable additional costs.

We were lucky. Our old sheepdog died as we were thinking about coming to France to be near our family. But we have met several couples who took on a dog in a moment of weakness and lived to regret it.

Noel
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

anybody who can say they regret having taken on their dog doesn't deserve to have one and would definately be no friend of mine! So this would be the same for kids as when you fly anywhere( or go anywhere for that matter) they will cost you a fortune? I have 4 kids and do not regret any of them even though while growing up they have emptied my bank account, cost a fortune to feed and clothe and 3 have moved out but they still seem to cost me money. A dog is a commitment for life , not a toy to be dumped when a person has had enough of it. Sometimes things happen and there are situations where the dog needs to be rehomed, ( I have seen people cry because they can no longer keep their dog), but this doesn't include just because they have to fly off somewhere. Many kennels will take animals at short notice.
Rant over
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

A dog is for life not Christmas, wasn't that the ad on tv for years.

I don't have any pets, not because I do not want one but because I could not commit to one. I have 2 children and that is enough for me!
Tia with 4 children and 8 dogs is a hero in my book :wink:

At the momment I am dog sitting 2 large dogs for a client in their own home........ that is more than enough commitment for me going and feeding and playing with them twice a day.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

yes that ad is still going now, you would be surprised at the excuses people give for not being able to keep their dog. Either that or it is tied to the refuge gates or chucked in the street because they do not want to pay the fee to abandon it. There are some valid reasons, I have recently placed a dog to a lady on this forum, the owners had no other choice and did not question having to make a donation to the association, the dog is now happy after spending a year tied to a chain all day long.
Just annoys me so much when people take on a dog and then abandon it just because it costs them money, do they not think of this before? There was an article about the english going back to england due to the recession a few years back and not taking their animals with them. What do they think happened to those poor animals ? maybe they live in a dream land that they were all rehomed , not put down because the refuges were all completely full and unfortunately in some places there is not a no kill policy.
Life has all it's ups and downs but you wouldn't chuck your kids out on the street or up and leave the country without them to start a new life so why do the same with animals, they have feelings and when they end up in a refuge it is traumatising for some of them as they just do not understand why they are there.
Opas, thanks for the compliment :D am penniless every end of the month but happy with life which is the main thing.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Tia with 4 children and 8 dogs is a hero in my book
Hear, hear.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

I am sorry to have started such a debate when I genuinely just wondered if anyone had any specific knowledge of cocker spaniel breeders in the area.

We are experienced dog owners and would NEVER consider having a dog without full consideration of pros/cons etc. etc. So, kind people out there who have bothered to put a post, please do not worry, we are NOT doing something on a whim.

Finally, the question still remains, if anyone knows a cocker spaniel breeder out there, please let us know.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

Hi if you want a breeder then you could try mas sisqueilles in pia. they have lots of different breeds, so may well have the one you are looking for. Owner is not particularly nice and just wants the money, also double check the sex of the puppy before taking it as one person bought a male and the dog was actually a female (papers had been stamped by vet for a male also). A friend of mine has a cocker spaniel, I'll try and find out where she got him from for you.
Didn't think that you were doing something on a whim as I doubt that you would have asked on a forum if that had been the case and would have just got a puppy from any breeder. Hope you find what you are looking for and if I do hear of any good breeder I 'll let you know
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Sorry Smiley, we did go a bit off topic, but I suppose that a bit of healthy discussion amongst dog lovers isnt a bad thing, and makes us stop and think.

Have you tried http://www.chiens-de-france.com?

This gives you lists of breeders in all the different departments around France.
Personally, I would go for a specific cocker breeder, rather than mixed breeding - and if the owner isnt particularly nice, (and I would say Lisa is proably a pretty good judge with all those kids and dogs) that would put me off too :cry: cos I think dogs ressemble their owners!!

Best of luck in your search, photo please when you find your puppy :lol: :lol: