French - English registered translator

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

ajs
Rank 1
Rank 1

French - English registered translator

Post by ajs »

We have to get our birth certificate copies translated before we can go to the next stage of getting our carte vitae.

Does anyone know of one, either in Ceret or in Perpignan?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Are you sure?

We simply took our UK original Uk certificates to CPAM in Perpignan. They photocopied them and returned the originals to us, no translation was required.

This topic has been discussed here before and I believe that a number of other people also commented that a translation was not required.
Last edited by Allan on Mon 25 Jun 2012 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

We just took our birth certs to CPAM Perp and they photocopied them.

Beware though - if you have a newish one, eg a replacement, it will have a watermark through it with the coat of arms/honi soit qui mal y pense thing, and this doesn't show up on a photocopy. On the old ones, this is printed on the cert. If queried they will have to hold a new one up to the light! The official simply wrote in my dossier that the cert had been seen
ajs
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ajs »

Yes we have tried this at CPAM and things have changed now, just recently you have to have your birth cert certified by a registered translator, there is no other way.
ajs
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ajs »

I have found a translator now

karen.king@wanadoo.fr

she will do it for 36 euros.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

"Old rope" and "money" spring to mind :roll:

On the other hand, I'm wondering if people are taking advantage of you. Since you arrived you've been asking for various English-speaking professionals and I wonder if you would find the process all a lot simpler by investing in some good French lessons rather than translators, interpreters and English-speaking versiona of the people you need.

My experience has been that if people feel you need English-speaking, you'll be asked to pay a premium for that extra service.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
ajs
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ajs »

But I would not be a registered translator.
Howard Whatmore

Post by Howard Whatmore »

If AJS is more comfotable using a translator to get some important formal necessities out of the way then what is wrong with that? :?

They can work on their French whilst they live here, but the important things need doing properly and be understood by all.

Was everyone on here fluent when they landed?
HH

Post by HH »

In a different life, I got mine translated by the French Consulate in South Ken !

And it was free

:roll: :roll:
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Howard Whatmore wrote: Was everyone on here fluent when they landed?
Hardly a word having failed "O-level" French :oops:

Russell.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

At least you took the exam Russell, I was so bad I wasnt allowed to continue the class and had to do something else in place of french.
Dylan
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I was so bad I wasnt allowed to continue the class
But you're making up for it now and taking lessons, trying to learn. I was fluent when I arrived as I am very lucky to be bilingual, but I do understand how those of you who struggle with the language feel. When I am in Spain, despite knowing enough Spanish to make myself understood, I feel so frustrated not to be able to express myself properly.

Keep at it, those of you who are trying to learn french. It doesn't have to be perfect or even nearly perfect. Just the trying to learn will make you feel more confident - and yes, sometimes very frustrated as you forget it all an hour later but it is going in - even if only a couple of words remain in your head, they are all piling up and eventually they will all come together and you will find you are understanding and communicating better. And remember, mistakes and an english accent are very sexy to the french, just as the Sachel Distel accent is sexy to the Brits!

(Sorry - know this thread is not about learning French but it seemed relevant when I started it! :-)
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I am by no means fluent and have great difficulty understanding the differnet accents but I now know enough to get by and (something I wasnt at school) confident enough (or perhaps more with age dont care about looking stupid) to make my self reasonably understood! I have learnt more with my teacher over here than I ever learnt at school.
Dylan
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
HH

Post by HH »

Sue wrote:(or perhaps more with age dont care about looking stupid)
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

de la part de Helen

Advice:
Throw in a few "Ma foi..." and "Bof" and you'll sound very authentic. If you add "Purée" here & there you'll be taken for a genuine native of Perpignan.
(To be taken for a Toulousain use "Put***" and "Mer**" when you stop for breath) :wink:
ajs
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ajs »

That was so funny marguerite and steve, I will be doing this. :lol:
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

I'm fluent in French, English, German and not bad at a couple of others. I can do that "You know I'm listening" body language in all of them :lol: :lol:

It all started with a very talkative mother-in-law :lol: :roll:
Dimetrodon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dimetrodon »

There is a lot of people on this thread missing the point. No matter how good you can speak the French language you still have to use a registered translator to officially translate the required documents to get the carte vitae. I assume this was not always the case but it is now.

So it is not a case of learning the language although you should do but following new rules that require a registered translator.
Its one thing getting there, its another getting back.
www.powerblogtactics.com
www.andy-beveridge.com
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

You could try Hubert. He is very good.

Hubert Rogeron

rogeron23@gmail.com

Cheers

John
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Anniseed
Rank 2
Rank 2

translators and card

Post by Anniseed »

I have received my temporary SS number, sent my original Birth Cert off as requested ( which is old and long), it eventually came back with no other documentation.I have waited 4 months, thinking the summer was the hold up, but no request for a photo. My husbands card app went through last year without a hitch. I rang the help line and they have informed me that the cert needs translating.. The office in Perp has seen my certificate before, would it be worth taking it again with the temporary SS no doc? or should I get it translated( next problem is getting a scanner large enough to scan it) .. If so does anyone know of a more local official translator? :roll:
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I had my son's birth certificate translated last year by a lady in Perpignan and found it expensive. considering it was only a couple of lines and I am a trained translator myself - but not agréé.

Will try and find the number but have totally forgotten the name. Went to her house and she did it there and then. Wish I could get paid 50 ish euros (can't remember exactly. Might have been more) for a quickie! :o
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Try La Jonq Kate!!
Dylan
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

:lol: :lol:
HH

Post by HH »

Helene Fussel Fontanet Agréé près la Cour d'Appel de Montpellier,)

12 rue Denis Diderot, Jardins St Jacques, 66000 PERPIGNAN
Tel 04.68.35.06.05
excellent and a professional
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Perhaps they've changed the rules but when we came here 6 years ago, we were not asked for official translations of our birth certificates and we had 4 of them from different countries. OK, we're registered with the MSA and not the CAF but even so, this does seem like a bit of a scam.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Anniseed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Anniseed »

Thank you will try Helene
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I was asked for one when I changed to RSI. I had previously had a C.V with CPAM without too much effort.
So I decided to send the paperwork to the head office in Montpellier and not to the office in Perpignan - result one Carte Vitale.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
PD

Post by PD »

opas wrote:I was asked for one when I changed to RSI. I had previously had a C.V with CPAM without too much effort.
So I decided to send the paperwork to the head office in Montpellier and not to the office in Perpignan - result one Carte Vitale.
I think you will find that CPAM des Pyrénées-Orientales
BP 89928
66013 PERPIGNAN CEDEX 9

Is the Head Office, for the PO !
Montpellier will be for Herault (34)

They most probably returned your docs, to Perpignan.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Correct about CPAM , but I actually said I sent it to Montpellier head office to affiliate with RAM.

http://www.rsi.fr/pied-de-page/adresses ... s-rsi.html
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.