Is nobody interested in Brexit?

A subject that is very close to the hearts of the many British that have made a home, either primary or secondary, in France or elsewhere in Europe.
HERE IS YOUR PLACE TO VENT.....but if you become aggressive, rude or personal, you'll be deleted without notice so think before you press that button please!

Moderator: Moderators

russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Is nobody interested in Brexit?

Post by russell »

Is nobody interested in Brexit or has it all been said? This section of the forum has been here for some time and no posts.
It certainly affects every British citizen living here. What are people doing about it? I have obtained an Irish passeport but there are still concerns about health care for retirees. The UK government say it will be OK for two years but what then? We have seen so many lies :?

Russell
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Is nobody interested in Brexit?

Post by Allan »

I think everyone is just fed up with the whole thing. Lots of people have applied for an Irish passport but I am not sure what that gains you other than a different queue at the airport. Certainly having Irish citizenship gives you the right to be here but you don’t need an Irish passport to be Irish.

The fact is that nobody knows what will happen so it is hard to prepare for it.
Florence
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Florence »

I suppose with an Irish pp., you do at least still have freedom of movement.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

I am in two minds about posting anything on here. Last week I had lunch with a British couple living in France. The conversation was dominated by two subjects. Brexit and bush fires. My French friends regularly raise the question of Brexit and want to know what is going on across the Channel.

But the reality is that this forum, and others like it, are dominated by requests for information. Nowadays nobody discusses current affairs or wishes to share their expériences of everyday life. In general it would appear that the halcyon days of social media are behind us. There are several theories as to why this is.

In my opinion people are reticent rather than disinterested.

Gus Morris
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

OK. How about this?
A poll. Which is most likely, in your view, NOT necessarily your view.

1) Managed 'no-deal' on Oct 31
2) Massaged 'May-deal' before Oct 31
3) Extension + New deal of any kind

Treat it more like a lottery than politics, if they are not actually the same.

John
P.s. I recommend reading the positioning papers that the eu and the uk have written about so-called 'no deal'
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Richard and Sharon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Richard and Sharon »

Brexit has polarised the nation including our MP's. Understandably, many people won't want to put their heads above the parapet and share their views, not wanting to be contentious.
My opinion may be naive and I am very happy to corrected by a well explained argument, so in the interest of opening the debate further, here goes!
My view is that many people are fed up with the situation that our politicians are unable to reach any agreement on what we as a nation want, let alone able to negotiate a decent deal with the EU.
Negotiating on the foundation that we will not leave without a deal is like handing all the best cards to the EU negotiators. They don't want us to leave, so why would they give us a better deal? But that's a big bluff to call and it could backfire.
Leaving without a deal, to me, would be the worst outcome. But without the threat of it, the deal will not be improved.
Most of the arguments for Brexit seem to have been proved to be nonsense, the referendum outcome was marginal and yet a second vote seems to be totally out of the question.
Tbh, I would switch my voting allegiance to the Lib Dems if Jo Swinson's promise to revoke Article 50 was a viable outcome. You may have guessed, I am a remainer :lol: (R)

ps, Any leavers on here? I would love to read a convincing argument of why we should leave.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Richard and Sharon wrote: Mon 16 Sep 2019 23:59 Most of the arguments for Brexit seem to have been proved to be nonsense, the referendum outcome was marginal and yet a second vote seems to be totally out of the question.
IMHO not just nonsense but downright lies designed to bring out the worst in people.

Russell
SteveB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SteveB »

[quote="Richard and Sharon" post_id=125605 time=1568671156 user_id=3216]
Negotiating on the foundation that we will not leave without a deal is like handing all the best cards to the EU negotiators. They don't want us to leave, so why would they give us a better deal?]

I've always thought this is a fallacious argument. The EU already have all the best cards, as they know we have much more to lose from leaving without a deal than they do, so the threat is an empty one. People who use this argument are treating the situation as parallel to, say, buying a house or a car: if we can't agree on a price with the seller we can just walk away and look elsewhere. But this situation is completely different, more like trying to get a divorce settlement. Leaving without a deal is like abandoning the negotiations and leaving unsettled issues such as who gets the house, custody of the children, etc - thus you risk losing everything.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Yesterday I received what may well be my last UK voting papers before the 15 year cut off comes into effect. They are now winging their way back to the Sceptered Isle. Now I just have to wait and see how things pan out in Blighty. I'm not holding my breath!

Gus
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Fusion power is about 10 years away from reality, a rolling 10 years that never gets updated (aka mirage). I still think that will happen before Brexit.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Rombolo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rombolo »

Hello,
For all of you who are still British and can vote in the General Election next week, and have a desire to stop Brexit, you will no doubt be aware that 'tactical voting' is an absolutely essential tool this time. It's now all about stopping Boris so forget who you normally vote for and basically vote to reduce the Tory majority to stop Brexit.

This website can help you decide.

https://tacticalvote.getvoting.org/

If you love being European and all the benefits of this that you enjoy from your current lifestyle...it's time to fight for it.
Rombolo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rombolo »

Hello,
For all of you who are still British and can vote in the General Election next week, and have a desire to stop Brexit, you will no doubt be aware that 'tactical voting' is an absolutely essential tool this time. It's now all about stopping Boris so forget who you normally vote for and basically vote to reduce the Tory majority to stop Brexit.

If you love being European and all the benefits of this that you enjoy from your current lifestyle...it's time to fight for it.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Rombolo wrote: Fri 06 Dec 2019 08:46 Hello,

Slight problem. Some of us have lost the right to vote with the 15 year rule. Some among us don't care. Some even support Brexit.It's far too late to submit a postal vote. Ditto to appoint a proxy. Even if you retain the right to vote, have received your voting papers and sent them back in good time, you are still stuffed if you oppose Brexit and can only vote in a constituency with a rock solid Conservative majority. Of course some of this does not apply to UK residents.