Funeral advice please

Something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? Voilà!
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Funeral advice please

Post by Allan »

A french friend has died suddenly and the funeral is on Thursday. This will be the first funeral that we have attended in France so we are unfamiliar with local customs.

In England we would have sent flowers to the funeral, normally via the undertaker. Is that normal in France?

The service is in a church, is it customary to go to the burial or just the service.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Funeral advice please

Post by Kate »

I have, sadly, been to a couple, both cremations. The service took place at the crematorium so it doesn’t really answer your question, but I think that like in the UK, usually flowers are sent to the undertaker or taken along to the ceremony, certainly not sent to the persons home. I always think that’s ‘doing the right thing’ is less important just being there and showing friendship and support.
Here are a few phrases of commiseration to put in a card.
https://anglophone-direct.com/life-and-death-france/
Bon courage.
Florence
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Florence »

We've been to several, both cremations and church services (been here a long time) During the church service we filed past the coffin in the church, just put a hand on it to pay respects.After the service close family are at the door, shake hands, give condolences. There may be a condolence book to sign, sometimes this book is on a purple covered table outside the family's home. Then go to the cemetery for interment.
It may vary a bit in different churches.
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

My husband passed away last year. We chose a cremation and I didn't want flowers, although some we're delivered and brought back to the house. I asked for contributions at the cremation, One half was donated to cancer research and the other half to the alzeimers society.