Public transport for London

Something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? Voilà!
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Public transport for London

Post by martyn94 »

I'm shortly off for my every-few-years short trip to London. I was trying to load my iPad/phone with the stuff that everywhere has, like the RATP app in Paris, to get from A to B. I can remember, though not perfectly efficiently, how to do it, but my sister can't, having never lived there. Am I just being dumb, or there is really no good free app?
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Transport for London (TfL) journey planner. It is very useful.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

neil mitchell wrote:Transport for London (TfL) journey planner. It is very useful.
Thanks. I've since discovered that TFL's policy is to have a website but no "official" app. Instead they make their data open-source, and let other people build apps on top (some 200 of them, apparently). That's very worthy of them, in some lights, but a faff when I am spending 48 hours there. And even more so if I were, say, a monoglot Latvian speaker, and didn't know one end of London from another.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Oh yes, I see what you mean, looking at it again I have always used it on my phone on 4g but via google chrome. It still works a treat though, you only have to put in a landmark or street name for start and finish and it gives very accurate information. I never used buses in London but now I use them all of the time.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

neil mitchell wrote:Oh yes, I see what you mean, looking at it again I have always used it on my phone on 4g but via google chrome. It still works a treat though, you only have to put in a landmark or street name for start and finish and it gives very accurate information. I never used buses in London but now I use them all of the time.
Thanks. It was very useful. I was surprised how many things I thought I knew weren't working as they used to. Mostly because of works on Crossrail, but also, around London Bridge, for more sombre reasons.

Incidentally, it was really useful to get data for nowt on a French phone. Remind me again, what did the EU ever do for us?