Glass

Something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? Voilà!
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Glass

Post by neil mitchell »

Hi Folks.
I need to put a glazed panel in my front door but I'm not sure what to ask for at Weldom.
In UK we would use Safety Glass (which is cut to size and then sent away to be heat treated) or Toughened Glass which is that laminated stuff which can be cut and supplied direct.
I could use either but is there an equivalent?
Thanks.
Neil.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

The staff should know what glass you need when you tell them what it is for. Safety glass does not come cheap here. Recently had together some for a clients fridge....30€ in the bio stores.
I ordered on line, cannot remember company, but there are a few) delivered free in 3 days.

An alternative I to goto a double glazing outlet, I have another client who did that, they will suply and fit.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Do you mean like loo window glass? That would be verre opaque...but I think most places, Weldom included, have them out on display so you can just point! :lol:

Safety glass, I think, would be verre de sécurité.....or at least if that's not the technical name, it would be understood.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

I did think of a double glazing panel but it is eye bleedingly expensive and the place in Prades don't seem interested in such a small job. Verre d'securite sound good, I'll try that and my French is now good enough to have a discussion in store about.
Thank you both, much more confident now.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Tempered glass is called verre trempé here
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Kate wrote:Do you mean like loo window glass? That would be verre opaque...but I think most places, Weldom included, have them out on display so you can just point! :lol:

Safety glass, I think, would be verre de sécurité.....or at least if that's not the technical name, it would be understood.
Or verre de sûreté or verre sandwich or verre feuilleté. Toughened glass - verre trempée as Allan says - is sometimes verre sécurit (strictly a trade name of St Gobain). I had a bit of a crash course in all this (rather too literally to be fun) a few months ago.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Excellent. Thank you Allan and Martyn. I now feel very well informed.