Dog sh-t

Post all topics on our furry 4 legged friends here.

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

It amused me, in a slightly back-handed way, because I have just had one of my security-glass patio doors broken in, in a very violent way - sufficiently violent that one of the voyous cut his hand on the glass, and left a trace of blood on the door-frame. (Meanwhile I was standing there at 0500, on the inside, watching them do it: the fact that I was bollock-naked was evidently enough to scare them off in the end).

The gendarmes seemed genuinely interested in taking a sample for DNA testing (on the basis that the bad guy was probably a recidivist, so they would probably get a match). In parting, they said that the results would probably come back "within a few months".

I don't especially complain about that: their labs must have many higher priorities than me. But it's droll that all the mutts in Bezier are going to be DNA-tested, along with all their misplaced poop, just to detect a few minor incivilities.

Assuming it works: it seems a bit too clever by half to me.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote:
It amused me, in a slightly back-handed way, because I have just had one of my security-glass patio doors broken in, in a very violent way - sufficiently violent that one of the voyous cut his hand on the glass, and left a trace of blood on the door-frame. (Meanwhile I was standing there at 0500, on the inside, watching them do it: the fact that I was bollock-naked was evidently enough to scare them off in the end).

The gendarmes seemed genuinely interested in taking a sample for DNA testing (on the basis that the bad guy was probably a recidivist, so they would probably get a match). In parting, they said that the results would probably come back "within a few months".

I don't especially complain about that: their labs must have many higher priorities than me. But it's droll that all the mutts in Bezier are going to be DNA-tested, along with all their misplaced poop, just to detect a few minor incivilities.

Assuming it works: it seems a bit too clever by half to me.
Perhaps the knowledge that an offending dog could be identified might discourage some owners.

The idea has been tried elsewhere, I believe the first in the UK was the London borough of Barking, clearly someone has a sense of humour.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:
Perhaps the knowledge that an offending dog could be identified might discourage some owners.

The idea has been tried elsewhere, I believe the first in the UK was the London borough of Barking, clearly someone has a sense of humour.
But your dog's mess is only going to be identified if you have previously volunteered to have your dog's DNA entered into the database of local dogs. You are only going to get people on the database, spontaneously, who are also committed, as good citizens, to cleaning up after their dogs. So you will not get many hits.

You could, I guess, apply very strenuous means to pick up "unregistered" dog-walkers. (All the dinky little animals that come out at this season for half an hour a day with a little cosy on). But I don't think that even M Ménard will prosper for long by waging war on the bourgeoisie.