Abused Animals - Grand Pyrenean Mountain Dog in Corsavy

Post all topics on our furry 4 legged friends here.

Moderator: Moderators

DaveJ
Rank 0
Rank 0

Abused Animals - Grand Pyrenean Mountain Dog in Corsavy

Post by DaveJ »

Two days ago, I passed through Corsavy from the Batere side and noticed a Pyrenean Mountain dog guarding sheep in a field on the right just before you enter the village.
The dog is Ina shocking condition and suffering from some skin ailment like mange - large areas of its body are now just pink raw skin and it was dragging the exposed areas on the grass probably to try scratch the itch.
The heartbreaking part, is that it was still loyally on duty guarding the sheep of the owner, who couldn't be bothered to treat the animal must less give it time off to recover.
It was lunchtime and all was closed, so I could not find anyone to report it too in the village - also since the animal is in full view of everyone in the village, I assume no one there really cares enough to do something about it anyway.
Does anyone one on the forum know the correct procedure to report such cases to some organization or person that can and will do something.
I fear that a simple rap on the knuckles of the owner or an embarrassing call will just result in worse conditions and treatment of the dog.
Any ideas ??

DaveJohnson
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

I think the only place you can contact would be the spa perpignan. They have people they can send out to check up on reports of animal abuse. (If they want to of course). Ibwould recommend that you do not go near it as patous are known to attack anything that get near the sheep. Have taken sheep up the mountains and i do not go anywhere near the dogs. Some do not even know what human contact is, i was told that a good patou lives and dies with its sheep and must have as less human contact as possible., this might be the reason why the owner has done nothing about it.
Good luck, at the spa the directors name is nicolas dumas.
Tatra Man
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tatra Man »

There's a Pyrénéan Mountain Dog centre just over the border from me in Spain. It's just outside Urtx, not far from Puigcerda.

La Borda d'Urtx

I have actually driven up the track to the centre totally unannounced but wore my Pyrénéan Mountain Dog sweatshirt as I speak very little Castillian or Catalan. However I went armed with a net book with photos of the two I've owned including a daughter of Bergerie Knur - the only PMD to have won Crufts - and had an amazing 4-language conversation with the guy who runs it while being watched by just over 30 extremely wet PMDs!

If you speak Castillian or Catalan - call them!
Don't knock it if you haven't tried it!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Lové the vidéo with the goats
Tatra Man
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tatra Man »

BOO!!

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it!
VAR66

Post by VAR66 »

There is also a rescue in France. Look up Rescue Prats de Mollo on the internet and you should find it.