weather

Info and interesting facts on weather issues

Moderator: Moderators

Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

weather

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

I understand the problem. Most years evreything closes and then it snowed last week and everyonewas away. This year Le Bar Eden Roc has stayed open for weekends and is therefore open now in the week as they have realised that folks are here and skiing. Most of the other places have opened now as well. A week ago you would have struggled to get a cup of coffee.
Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

weather

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

Les Angles

The weather is nasty. We have low cloud which means poor visibility both on the roads and on the mountains. It is snowing steadily and is covering the roads. The main roads should be OK but if anyone is thinking of coming up here for a bit of a ski.......don't bother I have just put my head outside and the wind is picking up and the temperature is freezing...... not nice at all.
Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

Weather

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

Les Angles
Bright and sunny again today. The weather forecast is for more of the same for the foreseeable future. The roads are clear and dry. I drove up to Pas de la Casa yesterday and it was fantastic. The roads are superb with very little snow laying in the fields in the valley going through Saillagouse down to Bourg Madame. The snow starts around Porta Puymorens and up to the Col. Breathtaking is not the word and it is fantastic to see the snow over the height of the car. I think they must cut through it as the walls of snow are solid and the road is dry. The scenery is stunning so even if you are not a skier it's worth a trip up, personally I have never seen as much snow.
Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

weather

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

Wall to wall sun, clear sky. Quite cold as heavy frost over night.
If driving take care in the spots under the trees where the sun hasn't melted the ice.
Piste is prefect.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

It is another glorious day, I went out at 9 am and thought the car just had dew on it, it was iced over. The temp was minus 2 but certainly didnot feel like it.
I went to weedkill a clients garden as the forecast is good for the next few days( no wind or rain) the temp at 10 am said 13 degrees, blue sky and suuny, there was a micro light enjoying the calm too....

A day to be out and about.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

Weather

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

Hey Opas you are lucky to be able to see the weeds. Mine are still under the snow. Have got to admit though the weather is lovely, sunny and warm.Busy in the station yesterday and today but tomorrow should be nice and quiet.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Yesterday in our back garden in direct sun the temperature was 32c. Bloomin chilly in the shade though but then it is December.
Dylan
Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

weather

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

Les Angles:
This is getting boring and I do apologise.

It is warm, sunny and the best bit that there is no wind.

Even though it is Saturday the station is quite quiet so great if you just want a quiet ski.

St Pierre is open this weekend and then opens fully next weekend. There is s super new snack bar at the top of the main chair lift......give it a try, don't just wizz past to get down the hill, sit down and have a cuppa.Angela will look after you and she also speaks passable English [small joke]
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Can you just go up in the chairlift and use the snack bar and then come back down by chairlift. I ask because I have friends who have 2 grandchildren they bring over to ski at St Pierre in February but the grandparents are non skiers themselves.
Dylan
Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

Cambre D'Aze

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

Hi Dylan, I have used the chair lift with groups of snow-shoers so I presume that there should be no problem but in the school holidays you would be advised to contact them first to check as they do get large numbers of skiers. They show a "pieton" rate of €8 per person.
Regards
Mike Rhodes
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Just about to head off towards Argelès on my bike, complete with dog. T shirt and thin bike jacket, and already sweating like a pig. Have hubby picking me up on arrival - not for me (honest!) but for the dog, or it would be too much for his delicate little paws, but how lucky are we to be able to do this kind of thing less than two weeks before Christmas? Wishing a lovely, sunny weekend to everyone here and sending sunshiney thoughts to all who arent.
Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

weather

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

Still brilliant sunshine up here, I have all my windows open and it is warm. Weirdly, Mike is still trying to clear solid snow, about three foot deep out of the courtyard. Wish I could cycle to Argeles....good on yer Kate.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Thanks for your reply Jenny. I couldnt cycle anywhere, not long back from the Shanghai buffet volonte in Argeles and so stuffed!!
Dylan
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Weather information

Post by Rose »

I went up the chairlift once to have lunch but lost my nerve about going down on it as it was so high up. My husband went over to a French chap with a skidoo and said, "J'ai un probleme avec mon femme." The skidoo driver said that he had problems with his wife as well but he was kind enough to let me jump on the back of the skidoo, hold him round the waist and take me to the egg lift. I went down that way without looking down, after a large cognac in the bar at the top of the egglift.

PS I used to ski but have lost my nerve. Still enjoy going up to Les Angles when my husband skies. Spent a Christmas up there in a hotel a few years ago. Loved the Santas' candlelit descent of the mountain and the children singing Mon Cher Papa Noel.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

So wish I had a like button for that story Rose. :D
Dylan
Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

weather

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

It is weird that everyone thinks that if you go to a ski station you should have nerves of steel. There are some very nasty areas you can get yourself in and then don't have the nerves to get out. Took me years to accept that I was never going to be a fast skier but learnt to just trundle at my own speed. I can't ski now but do love to go up to the top and have a cuppa.

Weather in Les Angles today is clear and sunny, no wind to bother mentioning.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I cant ski either Jenny but my ex did. We went to Andorra, Bulgaria and Austria. I loved Austria (the glacier near Mayhoffen) in particular because it had little bubbles that seated 4 people. While my ex was skiing I would go up and down in a bubble (mostly just me in it) between the cafes. Loved watching the little ones 4/5 years old come hurtling down and without poles. Always found someone to talk to and share a schapps with. I did hire the ski equipment on 2 occasions but as soon as I put skis on I feel physically sick. Not everything is for everyone is it!!
Dylan
Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

weather

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

Les Angles:

The weather is not too good up here today. It's a bit drizzly and grey. It is forecast for snow later today and tomorrow. And then it should brighten up after that until Christmas Day and then it should snow again. Hmmm A White Christmas.
Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

weather

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

Wish you were here!!!!!

The weather is again lovely Blue skies,bright sun and the pistes are quite busy. It's Friday and I have just walked through the village and there are still quite a few holiday makers although some are packing their cars and waiting for buses. I noted that louts have already scribbled graffiti all over the new bus stop. What brainless idiot thought that was a good idea.
All the roads are clear and dry.
Yesterday we went over to Puyvalador. Well worth a visit as it is like a little jewel of a station, no queues and quiet pistes, fantastic views from the top of the lifts. Well worth a stop and take five to orientate yourself, you feel France or at least the PO is at your feet.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Tempted to jump in the car right now. Sounds enticing!
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

We went for an afternoon in st pierre on the 2nd it was lovely.
Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

weather

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

Raining......so anyone thinking of coming up today.....don't bother.
It's very grey and overcast. How many shades of grey I wouldn't know but it's horrible outside. Alledgedly it should turn into snow later today but I doubt it will be much but you never know up here.
So log fire on and I will be reading my Kindle.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Fifty Shades of Grey? You naughty girl :lol: :lol:
Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

weather

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

Hey Kate, I may be getting old but I can still read. Hmmm!!!!!

Actually I found it not only boring and dull but disappointing.
Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

Weather

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

Just a thought, as we all so spread out, how about some kind of "book club" with comments,critiques, suggestions etc.
Most of us have Kindles now so the cost is going to be low...how about it.?
Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

weather

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

Les Angles
It's a bit grey again [only one shade Kate] and it has snowed a couple of inches overnight. Throughout the night it have been very windy but now appears to have dropped slightly and but is still coming in gusts. The chair lifts and gondolas are going quite slow because of this.
For the skiers, this coming week should be much quieter as most people have gone back to work and will leave the slopes wide and open.
Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

weather

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

Les Angles
Quite warm today but a little overcast.
Snow is forecast next week for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. And then again on Friday. But that is not guaranteed. Keep an eye on the road reports if you are thinking of coming up skiing.
The slopes a very quiet this week.
Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

weather

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

Les Angles

It's a bit cloudy today but with no wind. So makes for nice skiing if you don't mind a few more people here for the weekend.

This coming week is forecast for six days of snow. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, non on Thursday but Friday, Saturday and Sunday it should snow quite heavily but nothing is ever written in stone.

I will keep you updated as to the road conditions as much as I can see them.
kathyw
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kathyw »

Husband is going up Skiing tomorrow.
Can you give us any idea of the snow conditions.
If its not brill I will wait and go another day
Thanks
Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

Weather

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

Hi Kathy, there is just some light snow at the moment. The pistes are still in pretty good condition albeit a bit hard packed in the mornings and some snow will help even more. It is a bit colder than it has been but us due to warm up again on wednesday. The roads are still clear. have a good day.