Woodburner maintenance

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

ryanm63
Rank 2
Rank 2

Woodburner maintenance

Post by ryanm63 »

Hi

Although we've no issues with our woodburner, I'd like to have it checked and services. Anyone reccommend a trades person near Millas?... any idea of cost?

Also, as we tend to close up our house over the winter, our burner gets very little use (maybe 12 lights a year) - how often should it be serviced?
Regards

Malcolm
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

I would expect that you must clean the chimney yearly. This must be done by a legal chimney sweep guy. This will cost somewhere 50€, of course where you're located. This is needed to keep your insurance people happy.

One other which does need servicing is the seal around the door of the woodburner. You can do this yourself easily and you can buy the seal at the DIY store.

Not sure what else you're going to need. Hopefully some other members will give you better information.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Cant help with any recommendations but can give a warning! Our next door neighbour's chimney set on fire last month and it was IMPRESSIVE! Two fire engines with a crew of around 12, with climbing gear to get onto roof and up chimney. Flames were billowing out of chimney top and it looked as if the whole house was on fire. Took around two hours to get it sorted, and I believe the room has to be redecorated and they poured foam into the chimney, then water.
At the time, we said that we must get our chimney cleaned professionally but somehow haven't got round to it yet!!
Although I've WRITTEN about it in P-O Life in the past (see below) I've never actually practised what I preach! :oops: Seeing the neighbours house on fire gave me quite a jolt. Anyway, I supposed what I am saying is it is well worth a service, check or clean for peace of mind.

There’s no smoke without fire
Fire damage resulting from a chimney fire is one of the most common insurance claims in France.
Any chimney that is in use needs to be swept at least once per year. Many insurers will NOT pay out for fire damage without a cleaning certificate ("certificat de ramonage") which your chimney sweep (ramoneur) will leave you when he cleans your chimney. Of course, the most important reason for keeping your chimney clean is the risk of fire and the danger of breathing in carbon monoxide which stays in the house instead of being released
through the chimney
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Yes,that's pretty much what we do,Kate and BD.

Usually,about May/Jun,and old boy comes round offerring ramonage for about 40€ and,after he's done it he gives the certificate for the Insurance,should it be needed. The only thing that changed after we switched from an open fire to a wood burner is that he needs a different nozzle attachment to his hoover-thingy.

Haven't needed to change the seal on the door yet,but,yes,I have seen them in Brico Marché.

I don't think there is any other servicing per se needed. Certainly the guy from Godin who fitted it did not say anything to that effect.
ryanm63
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ryanm63 »

I've got someone coming to do my woodburner and flu clean this week - hr says its 90 euro, does that sound about right?
Regards

Malcolm
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Sounds a little on the high side,Malcolm,but I suppose it all depends what it entails.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

We use Antoine MESAS in Millas, tel: 0468579653. Cost about 40 euro.

Russell.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

ryanm63 wrote:I've got someone coming to do my woodburner and flu clean this week - hr says its 90 euro, does that sound about right?
Sounds very high, 4 years ago we used a local guy who charged €30 but we then switched to Rene Brisach who are the manufacturers of our Cheminee and pay €59 which we think is quite high
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

When this thread started, my cleaning guy charged me 45€ but he did arrive after this thread started and he wanted to increase the amount to 55€ now. The 45€ has been constant for ten years +/- so it's not too high for this long time. My chimney was pretty dirty too.

I think 90€ seems a high price but it depends on the amount of travel involved.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

:cry:
Last edited by thumbelina on Mon 20 Jun 2011 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
ryanm63
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ryanm63 »

Cleaner came and did the job, he said his original quote of 90 euro was a bit high as job did not involve as much as expected. He charged me 50 euro and issued the certificate - a very good clean job and a satisfied customer... I've told him to call back next year.
Regards

Malcolm
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Who did you use?

Russell.
ryanm63
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ryanm63 »

I used Antoine MESAS in Millas. He did an excellent Job, made no mess and came at the time and date he said he would.
Regards

Malcolm