Why don't more shops sell firewood?

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Why don't more shops sell firewood?

Post by Steve&Julie »

To get our wood delivered we have to ask our neighbour to order ours with his, open our door and let them in, and show them where to store it. Each year we are terrified in case either they didn't deliver, Jaques was out at the time or away. As we only ever visit for a week at a time and usually with no notice its a real problem for us. Apart from BattyMarche I have never seen any supermarkets selling even small quantities of logs. Even in the UK you can logs in a bag them from Spa and petrol stations in nets for outside BBQs etc. Anyone that could set up a supply chain would make a mint,surely even the best prepared people run out from time to time?
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

:cry:
Last edited by thumbelina on Mon 20 Jun 2011 09:41, edited 1 time in total.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

... and they have an outdoor wood shelter.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Santiago wrote:... and they have an outdoor wood shelter.
Quite Jon. The biggest preclusion to buying large quantities of wood is sheer lack of space for a lot of people. Also the very "helpful" (not) suppliers who refuse to deliver any less than 3 or 4 stère at any one go.

So I think Steve has a very good point,actually. For a short term fix (eg those who have a fire only occasionally),albeit at premium prices ,it would be nice if garages etc sold bags of logs. In addition to the Brico places,the wood guy near the péage at Le Boulou also sells bags of logs. Usually his prices are a bit lower than BricoMarché.
Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Steve&Julie »

Very interesting John, thanks for that info. Glad someone agrees with me.

Kind regards Julie x
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

:cry:
Last edited by thumbelina on Mon 20 Jun 2011 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

I do know the merchants on the back road between Maureillas and Les Cluses (Abiven) will sell to you any quantity if you bring your own vehicle/trailer. 04 68 39 59 94

Sorry,just do not understand the commercial logic of these people who refuse to deliver any quantity less than four or five stères. We have a couple of friends who both have limited storage space. They approached the local wood merchant and even suggested they'd be happy to pay a delivery charge,but still they refused to sell less than 4 stère. Probably prefer to sit in the office smoking and drinking coffee than get out doing new business. Barmy.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I guess it's the same reason why British petrol stations don't stock gas canisters even though most people rely on gas for heating.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Santiago wrote:I guess it's the same reason why British petrol stations don't stock gas canisters even though most people rely on gas for heating.
Not really the same thing,Jon. In UK ,most gas heating is by mains gas. But in rural areas,like parts of Norfolk ,where there is no piped gas,fuel stations do indeed stock gas bottles.