Can Anybody recommend a good builder for Reynes?

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Well Opas you have given him the opportunity to put things right, I feel we need to know these things as people will be wasting their hard earned money.

He was the builder I used and was very disappointed with his work.
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

We have just had a tiler to come and look at the house as there is one floor unfinished............well not even started! even though it was on the work sheet. A blessing in diguise me thinks;

He declared the work degulasse , declasse and even said whoever did it is not a maçon

Are you reading this Johnrenov?
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
edann42
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by edann42 »

When we first moved here, we thought it would be safe to choose a builder who advertised in PO, after trying French builders who couldn't start work for at least 6 months! We needed the work to start immediately.

We chose a builder from the magazine, Grahame .........!!, who had a Ciret number, but who turned out to be 60% efficient. Not PO fault at all, but we were mislead by the fact that he was advertising in many previous editions.

Having spent 25,000 euro with him, we spent a further 4000 euro putting right some of his mistakes, using another British builder who was advertising in PO, but who was fine!

You do have to be very careful and the only way you can be sure, is to ask for references and then speak to, or visit, previous clients!!

Grahame .......! has done a 'runner' to Spain, I undestand, so you will not come across him again!
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mrob343 »

opas wrote:We have just had a tiler to come and look at the house as there is one floor unfinished............well not even started! even though it was on the work sheet. A blessing in diguise me thinks;

He declared the work degulasse , declasse and even said whoever did it is not a maçon

Are you reading this Johnrenov?
Just one of many "Ballett Dancers"here, to use a London expression ! :(
Are'nt these people supposed to provide proof of their training/experience/qualifications when they register at the C.D.M.? :roll:
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Oh joy! it just gets better and better! :cry:

We have had a maçon to look at the job to finish...........the new stairs are apparently illegal as the gap in the handrail is too wide and a danger to children.

I feel a meeting at the droits de consomateurs coming on.
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mrob343 »

opas wrote:Oh joy! it just gets better and better! :cry:

We have had a maçon to look at the job to finish...........the new stairs are apparently illegal as the gap in the handrail is too wide and a danger to children.

I feel a meeting at the droits de consomateurs coming on.
It strikes me opas that you've been had over by the "multiservice" sector of French Business! :roll:
Basically jack of all trades,but master of none! :x
My guess is they sub the work they can't do to even less incompetent individuals :(
That then leaves the likes of you and many others that use this type of service in the **** without any help when it all goes tits up !!
This subject really annoys me,why can't they just keep to what they know,no they can't,why because they are greedy...simple!! :evil:
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Update, documents now in the hands of the consumateurs in Perpignan as he is not answering our calls or emails......well he did pick up the phone oncee, and after thinking about it whether to hang up or tell outie to politly go away :wink: he said he would come `next week` ........about 6 wekks ago!

Seen last week driving a Ford Kuga, loadsamoney!

http://www.ford.fr/Vehicule_Particulier/Kuga/Exterieur

Devis seekers beware, black BMW or this new white car, with a Brit father or half French son about to have their hands in your wallet!
Last edited by opas on Mon 28 Jun 2010 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
Debeneur.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Good luck Opas, keep us updated..
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

So , to bring this saga further on. We went to the Consumateur in Perpignan 3 weeks ago after giving the builder plenty of time to respond,

We laid our cards out on the table, filled in some forms and backed up our tale with photos and email .letter evidence,

today we had a phone call asking if we would be content with the offer. It was us who said what we wanted, either for the job to be finished or some money back. we have been offered the money by him, we have accepted. Apparently we will have to sign a bon pour d`accord etc.

for us this is a result. But why did he do this to us?
Debeneur.
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mrob343 »

opas wrote:So , to bring this saga further on. We went to the Consumateur in Perpignan 3 weeks ago after giving the builder plenty of time to respond,

We laid our cards out on the table, filled in some forms and backed up our tale with photos and email .letter evidence,

today we had a phone call asking if we would be content with the offer. It was us who said what we wanted, either for the job to be finished or some money back. we have been offered the money by him, we have accepted. Apparently we will have to sign a bon pour d`accord etc.

for us this is a result. But why did he do this to us?
Well done Opas ! :D
It strikes me as incredible that you needed to go that far in the first place to get the guy to reply to you??? :? :?
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

This is good news, opas! Well done for persisting and not letting the b*****d get away with it!
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

That is brilliant news, wish we knew more about the French system when we had our problems with him as we would have done exactly the same, think of the money and hassle you have saved future people wanting a builder...well that particular builder...well done.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Well heres the latest!

I had an awfull feeling when the guy did the work that there would be hidden problems, the drains in the bathroom have been laid flowing the wrong way.

I have never changed a washer in my life but i recon I could have done a better job myself.

Lets see how his 10 year guarantee stands .

Furious.
Debeneur.
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mrob343 »

opas wrote:Well heres the latest!

I had an awfull feeling when the guy did the work that there would be hidden problems, the drains in the bathroom have been laid flowing the wrong way.

I have never changed a washer in my life but i recon I could have done a better job myself.

Lets see how his 10 year guarantee stands .

Furious.
Willing to teach you Opas ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Another update, I have it on good authority and Jeremy Kyles pet hate( facebook) that this builder in the loosest sense of the word probably will not be honoring 10 year guarantees.....it appears that he has done a runner ,an amount of money is involved and his wife is not calling him mon cherrie:: and is doubting his parentage
Debeneur.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Word to the wise, this father and son are now touting for work in the Perpignan area.
Debeneur.