Wood from Polygon Nord

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Wood from Polygon Nord

Post by Steve&Julie »

Hi.
A while back Polremy mentioned in a post about wood for burning, that there was a place in Polygon Nord that I could drive up to and fill my boot. I'm not sure where Polygon Nord is. Can anyone enlighten me? or suggest somewhere else Arles-Sur-Tec, Ceret, Le boulou, Perpignan or even Spain going out towards Girona?

Steve
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I can recommend Andre Baills at Arles sur Tech. He delivers. Let me know if you want his number and I'll dig it out for you.

Polygon Nord is on the national road that runs alongside the motorway between Perpignan and Perpignan north. (the large estate not far from the airport).

There is also a wood merchant at Boulou, but I rather fancy he's quite expensive.
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

The wood merchant in Polygone Nord is called Giordano and is a bit difficult to find. You need to head north along the main road towards Narbonne. Probably the easiest route is to take the first exit from the main road after the one to the airport. Turn left at the roundabout on to Avenue du Languedoc and follow this road past Leclerc on your right to the Rondpoint du Languedoc. Take second exit (still Avenue du Languedoc) and don't be put off by the way it seems to become a narrow road leading to nowhere. It is a narrow road leading to nowhere, but before it ends, the wood yard is on your right. If you follow the route on Google Maps you can check the satellite photo and even see some piles of logs in the yard!

We have had wood from there but are not sure how good the prices are - vague feeling it's expensive
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

colin's woodyard is not the same one - might be good though.
ours is - drive just past leclerc on your right and the leclerc petrol station on your left.
at the little roundabout turn right.
you should see an opticians immediately on your left.
travel about 200 metres and take first left to a road that looks as if it goes nowhere. you are in real gipsy territory here.
about another 200 metres on your right is Roussillon Bois - our wood merchant.
beware of the dog - well actually, his bark is worse than his bite.

we are hoping never to have to buy wood again!!
why do you want it in may?
Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Steve&Julie »

Thanks to all.
Yes, I know it's May, but we've been over 4 times this year and each time our bois sec hunting has been in vain. We don't have internet in France and so far, every day we have spent over there this year, we have had to decide which piece of furniture we sacrifice to stay warm. So, there we were last month, cold and damp, sitting on a stack of used bricks on the floor in front of the fireplace, watching a pathetic flame dance over our B&Q loo roll holder. We had long since used up all the nice bits of wood that would make excellent door lintels and floor joists, wishing we had posted the question before we left.
We are flying in tomorrow (:D) to play at kitchen fitting for a few days! Despite our preparations last visit, I am sure we will be doing our usual pligrimage to Brico Depot for the vital but only size of screw we haven't got, and it sounds like the wood place is not to far off route. So I'll fill the rental car with as much as I dare ready for next time, and be able to go looking for a new comfy flatpack chair with the confidence of being able to assemble it before burning it.

Thanks again to all.
I'm off to google maps..... :-)
Steve