Diesel cars in France

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Diesel cars in France

Post by Allan » Tue 08 May 2018 19:35

I filled up at Carrefour yesterday, I don't normally look at the price of fuel as I have always assumed that Carrefour is amongst the cheapest.

Carrefour has now installed incredibly annoying TV screens next to each pump belting out non-stop adverts. As a form of distraction I glanced at the price and was fairly astonished to see that diesel is now 1.38€ a litre, the last time I looked it was about 1.12€.

I have read that the government was adjusting the tax balance between diesel and petrol which may explain some of the increase.

This got me thinking, in Britain, sales of diesel cars have plummeted, partly due to the UK government's pronouncement that they got it wrong and diesel drivers are now social outcasts. Of course the VW fiddled emission figures hasn't helped. I read a letter in the Sunday Times where the writer commented that second-hand diesel cars weren't worth much more than the fuel in the tank.

Has something similar happened in France? Historically french drivers seemed to prefer diesel but is the move now to petrol engines.

I have a new car on order for August delivery with a diesel engine and I am now wondering if I have made a mistake and will I get next to nothing for my current diesel car?

dsd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dsd » Wed 09 May 2018 17:41

I heard on the radio today that over the last year petrol prices have gone up 6% and diesel 12%. Under pressure from the ecologists, the government's aim is indeed to align the prices and, if it wouldn't cause such uproar from transport companies etc, would prefer to make diesel more expensive than petrol, to 'compensate' for the pollution caused and yes, to discourage people from buying diesel cars.

However, many French people still swear by diesel so I don't know if the price of second hand cars is affected. You could go onto the site of the 'Argus', which is the bible for French car values. You put in the details of your car and it tells you how much it is worth

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago » Wed 09 May 2018 18:33

There are plans to phase out diesel cars so expect higher prices for fuel and perhaps more taxes on them. I would not buy another diesel.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29

russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell » Thu 10 May 2018 10:54

And yet the biggest certain threat facing the world in the future is global warming and diesel cars still emit less C02 than the petrol equivalent.

Russell

Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 » Thu 10 May 2018 11:36

I wonder about any real 'joined up' thinking by the powers that be.
  • CO2 pollution is massively contributed to by cows farting and ships and lorries moving stuff around the world.

NOX emissions are most deadly in Cities

by a date in the near future most cars will be electric or hybrids.
    etc
So the short term demonising of Diesel seems like gesture stuff to me.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands

Kit
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kit » Fri 11 May 2018 21:03

So often on this forum I find that for every easily-made comment there is a wretched pedant who seems to want to get their name in lights by correcting an assumption.

This is embarrassing, but today I am that pedant. Cows do not produce carbon dioxide, they produce another harmful greenhouse gas called methane. And most of that methane is produced as burps whilst they chew the cud, rather than as farts.

Otherwise, you are spot on with your analysis! By genuine coincidence, today I have been looking at the choice of new hybrid cars.

Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 » Tue 15 May 2018 11:08

Half an hour after posting I realised that Cows produce Methane not CO2, but as the consequence is the same I didn't correct it. Soz. :)
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 » Tue 15 May 2018 17:53

Owens88 wrote:I wonder about any real 'joined up' thinking by the powers that be.
  • CO2 pollution is massively contributed to by cows farting and ships and lorries moving stuff around the world.

NOX emissions are most deadly in Cities

by a date in the near future most cars will be electric or hybrids.
    etc
So the short term demonising of Diesel seems like gesture stuff to me.
The long term will be too late for me. I lived for thirty years in London SE10, and quite often in the 18e in Paris (and hope to continue doing so): both look pretty grim on the pollution maps. Most people live in cities and will increasingly do so, so protecting us from avoidably greater excess mortality and morbidity than our existing burden (from particulates as well as NOx) doesn’t seem like a gesture to me. Nor a short-term one: Mme Hidalgo doesn’t hope to ban diesels from Paris before 2024. Even if that comes off, they would go elsewhere for 15 years or more. Even if the current bullish noises come true, it will be decades before most of the stock of cars are electric or hybrid, unless govts do something much more coercive (and expensive) than currently contemplated. In the meantime, we are at more risk from choking than from drowning in rising tides.

Even so, recent policy doesn’t seem to be “demonisingâ€￾ diesels so much as correcting for past “angelisingâ€￾, sometimes done for what seemed like good reasons but always with a large dose of political calculation.

Hybrids almost strike me as neither one thing nor the other: it would be easier and cheaper to buy something smaller and drive it much less. Plug-ins, maybe, if I had a 150m extension lead.

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 » Tue 15 May 2018 20:14

Kit wrote:So often on this forum I find that for every easily-made comment there is a wretched pedant who seems to want to get their name in lights by correcting an assumption.

This is embarrassing, but today I am that pedant. Cows do not produce carbon dioxide, they produce another harmful greenhouse gas called methane. And most of that methane is produced as burps whilst they chew the cud, rather than as farts.

Otherwise, you are spot on with your analysis! By genuine coincidence, today I have been looking at the choice of new hybrid cars.
Just to be super-pedantic, cows do produce CO2. Just not more than usual. I have the good fortune, at my older house in Normandy, to have a herd of “la race Normandeâ€￾ either in front or behind (they are swapped over to spare the pasture). They are very pretty. The sound of them grazing, or chewing their cud, or just breathing in and out, is a lovely soundtrack to go to sleep by. And I wouldn’t swear that they don’t fart too, in a ladylike way. They certainly do other things in that line, as my roses know to their benefit.