Loose covers

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

SteveB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Loose covers

Post by SteveB » Fri 02 Feb 2018 09:18

Can anyone recommend someone in the Céret area to make some washable loose covers for a couple of armchairs?

Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations

Steve

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 » Fri 02 Feb 2018 14:22

Failing anything more specific, this comes up in Pages Jaunes

https://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pros/51495806

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 » Fri 02 Feb 2018 14:27

SteveB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SteveB » Fri 02 Feb 2018 23:06

Thanks Martyn - funnily enough I went past the first of these places this morning but it was closed. I did have a look at the Pages Jaunes but thought I’d see if anyone had any particular recommendations before picking someone from there.

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate » Sun 04 Feb 2018 19:49

There’s a small place Maureillas on the main road on right as your coming from Ceret that takes ses to measure orders. Will let you know if I (remember to) find out more. (Have been intending to pop in for months but keep forgetting!) :oops:

Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus » Mon 05 Feb 2018 11:59

Hi, I would also be interested in finding somebody to shorten curtains / some other small sewing projects. Or alternatively, is there somebody out there who would lend me their sewing machine for a couple of hours?

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 » Mon 05 Feb 2018 13:22

Sus wrote:Hi, I would also be interested in finding somebody to shorten curtains / some other small sewing projects. Or alternatively, is there somebody out there who would lend me their sewing machine for a couple of hours?
There’s always someone who does “retouchesâ€￾: try Pages Jaunes for your location, but it’s perhaps one of the last areas where you might do better to keep your eyes open (is there someone around who takes in dry-cleaning, say? If they don’t do retouches themselves, they will know who does). Or whichever shop has small cards from local tradespeople/babysitters. Or just ask around.

Alternatively, I have a sewing machine still in the box from Lidl: you can do my curtains too if you want to get into practice. The Seville oranges aren’t yet in stock at the wholesalers (according to the patronne of my greengrocer) but I’m assured that they are on their way.

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 » Mon 05 Feb 2018 15:09

SteveB wrote:Thanks Martyn - funnily enough I went past the first of these places this morning but it was closed. I did have a look at the Pages Jaunes but thought I’d see if anyone had any particular recommendations before picking someone from there.
As a wild generalisation, I don’t think that the French go in, much, for the comfy, loose-cover look. Which is no reason not to try: someone competent can do it anyway. But I doubt that many locals make it a “thingâ€￾. Hence, of course, your desire for a recommendation.

SteveB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SteveB » Mon 05 Feb 2018 22:16

Thanks Martin - useful to know that. My aim was to protect the chairs against spillages etc, as I’m planning to use the house for holiday let’s, but I may have to think about alternatives.

Steve

Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus » Wed 07 Feb 2018 15:30

martyn94 wrote:
Sus wrote:Hi, I would also be interested in finding somebody to shorten curtains / some other small sewing projects. Or alternatively, is there somebody out there who would lend me their sewing machine for a couple of hours?
There’s always someone who does “retouchesâ€￾: try Pages Jaunes for your location, but it’s perhaps one of the last areas where you might do better to keep your eyes open (is there someone around who takes in dry-cleaning, say? If they don’t do retouches themselves, they will know who does). Or whichever shop has small cards from local tradespeople/babysitters. Or just ask around.

Alternatively, I have a sewing machine still in the box from Lidl: you can do my curtains too if you want to get into practice. The Seville oranges aren’t yet in stock at the wholesalers (according to the patronne of my greengrocer) but I’m assured that they are on their way.
\

Thanks and would gladly take up your offer, I actually prefer to do the sewing myself. Please just ping me when you hear about the oranges.

Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus » Wed 07 Feb 2018 15:32

SteveB wrote:Thanks Martin - useful to know that. My aim was to protect the chairs against spillages etc, as I’m planning to use the house for holiday let’s, but I may have to think about alternatives.

Steve
Hi Steve, it might be worth trying the covers from Ikea, sofas are so often similar shapes, I use them for a non-Ikea sofa and it works quite well