Scrap Merchants

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Scrap Merchants

Post by Owens88 »

We have a dishwasher that no longer does what it should. The recycler in me thinks that I should just fit a new pump. However we can live without a dishwasher so disposal may be the easier option.
I know about the Montres service that the Communite des Communites runs but their timings never fit when I am here.
In the UK such a thing would disappear from my roadside quickly by virtue of scrap merchants taking it. Does that work here?
I am not talking about flytipping btw.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hi John,
I presume you mean the 'monstres'? I havent actually noticed that happening for a while round here so wonder if they've stopped it. We used to see old mattresses and washing machines piled next to the communal bin at the end of our drive every week and people sorting through and taking what they wanted before the collection. Maybe the best thing would be to check at the local mairie - some do have facilities to relieve you of 'encombrants'
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Kate wrote:Hi John,
I presume you mean the 'monstres'? I havent actually noticed that happening for a while round here so wonder if they've stopped it. We used to see old mattresses and washing machines piled next to the communal bin at the end of our drive every week and people sorting through and taking what they wanted before the collection. Maybe the best thing would be to check at the local mairie - some do have facilities to relieve you of 'encombrants'
Vernet does, as I guess you (ie Owens88) know

http://www.levernet.fr/index.php/levern ... es-dechets

Not ideally convenient (at least compared to Port-Vendres, where you just book a slot, at any time of year, a few days ahead) but OK if you have space to store it and are going to be here (which I guess you're not), or have a helpful neighbor. If you are feeling strong, and have a suitable vehicle, just take it to the déchetterie.

I have never seen roving scrap merchants here, which doesn't prove anything. But I doubt that their methods are very green: even if you won't fly-tip, they may well do.

Alternatively, replace it and get your new supplier to take it away: they generally will.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Thanks all. Yes I did mean Monstres. I had talked to the organisation.

I won't rely on roving scrap merchants now after this advice. Monstres will do it in the Autumn.

We are going to live without a dishwasher. Next stage live without a cooker and just have takeaways :)

J
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

[quote="Owens88"Next stage live without a cooker and just have takeaways :)

J[/quote]

It might not be necessary. I bought my first house here after seeing it on a glorious summer day, and have never regretted it. But in hindsight I could have checked it over more thoroughly: it had hardly seemed necessary because it obviously needed a lot of fettling. When I moved in, on a much duller autumn day, I found that it had running water, but a fatally cracked lavatory pan; an electrical system but no supply (it had been cut off for non-payment years before); and a u/s bottled-gas cooker. The only things that worked were the phone and a Godin wood stove. The stove had a lid on the top of the fire-box which was strictly flat: it was surprising how much you could cook on it, though you did have to adjust the stove to the needs of your dish, rather than to your need for heating.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Owens88 wrote:Thanks all. Yes I did mean Monstres. I had talked to the organisation.

I won't rely on roving scrap merchants now after this advice. Monstres will do it in the Autumn.

We are going to live without a dishwasher. Next stage live without a cooker and just have takeaways :)

J
I might have added, though in the event I don't need to, that just leaving things out can have its hazards. I was braced by our police municipale a couple of years ago for leaving bulky junk down by our local bins. I was entirely innocent, and managed to persuade them so. Though I would still love to know which neighbour dobbed me in.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Thanks again.
I have actually met a guy called Fabrice who offers a no repair no fee service and has a tagline 'repair don't replace'.

I recently ran a cooperative of charities in Leics all working on Reuse so this fits my ethics better than disposal.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

We replaced our old dishwasher recently when it started leaking. I had a go at repairing it myself but it was just too difficult. Plus the replacement part for an old model were uneconomic.

The new machine of course cleans much better and is very Eco friendly. Darty takes the old one away for free and, I presume, disposes of it in the most cost-effective manner.

If you dispose of the old one yourself, and don't replace it, you'll have a big dirty empty space in the kitchen.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Webdoc wrote:We replaced our old dishwasher recently when it started leaking. I had a go at repairing it myself but it was just too difficult. Plus the replacement part for an old model were uneconomic.

The new machine of course cleans much better and is very Eco friendly. Darty takes the old one away for free and, I presume, disposes of it in the most cost-effective manner.

If you dispose of the old one yourself, and don't replace it, you'll have a big dirty empty space in the kitchen.
I second the idea that modern ones are very effective, as well as pretty green if you believe their claims, compared to hand washing. But it would be non-negotiable in my household even if I could prove that they would melt the polar ice cap single handed. I fought that battle and lost decades ago.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Everything is relative. But where do we put relatives?
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

If you want to try repairing it yourself these people can probably sell you a new pump at a reasonable price:
http://www.choukapieces.com/
I've bought dishwasher and washing machine parts from them and had good service.

Russell.