Glass mirror cutting

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

oulibede
Rank 2
Rank 2

Glass mirror cutting

Post by oulibede »

Does anyone know where I can get a mirror cut to size and the edge bevelled? Ideally in the Argeles - Le Boulou area. Any suggestions gratefully received.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I have only had mirror glass cut, which any B and Q equivalent will do for you (Weldom at Argelès in my case). For proper finishing my first thought was that you'd need to go to greater Perpignan, and a Google search on "miroiterie argeles" seems to bear that out: you get various hits, eg this

http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/annuaire/arge ... ntreprises

but all I've looked at lead to the big city.

I can't endorse anyone from experience, but it doesn't seem like a trade you'd persist with if you can't do it adequately. My rule with Perpignan is to go for the zones commerciales that I know how to get to with the minimum traffic jams.
oulibede
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by oulibede »

Thank you Martyn, I found the same when I searched on Google. The only options seem to be in Perpignan.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

I've used La Vitrerie, 137 Chemin du Pas de la Paille, Perpignan to make this glass and mirrored case for my homemade clock.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/352 ... CF2209.JPG

I'm sure they can do anything you want.

Russell
oulibede
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by oulibede »

Wow, what a great clock.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

oulibede wrote:Wow, what a great clock.
Yes indeed. I have a Lidl indoor/outdoor thermometer (ca €10 from memory) which, almost as an afterthought, takes time over the radio from the German atomic-clock signal. It is not constantly synchronised, so can drift in the very short term by as much as 0.1 seconds. It is permanently about 0.003 seconds slow because of my distance from the transmitter. Adjusting for that, it matches the German master clock to within about 1 second in 300,000 years. And of course there are phones, tablets, computers, etc scattered around which approach the same performance. Not to mention my kitchen scales.

None of which is to lessen my admiration for Russell's clock, or my envy for the pleasure he must have had in making it. Just to remark how much things have changed almost behind my back. Getting a "good" watch for my twenty-first birthday was a rite of passage for me, but I don't know anyone younger than thirty-ish who ever wears one now.
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

What a lovely piece of work...do you give lessons ??
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Nigel wrote:What a lovely piece of work...do you give lessons ??
If you like Nigel but you will need a workshop equipped at least with a lathe and preferably a milling machine as well.
I'm still learning. I started when I discovered I had three clockmakers in my ancestry. This is my current project:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/352 ... CF2666.JPG
A traditional design but using modern materials and techniques. Not as accurate as Martin's Lidl thermometer but should do better than 1 second per week.

Back to the thread topic: Oulibede - did you get your mirror sorted?

Russell
oulibede
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by oulibede »

Yes thank you Russell, got it sorted. Weldom in Argeles have a service for cutting to size. For bevelling, drillling screw holes etc we had to go to Perpignan. The obvious places, Castorama, Leroy Merlin and a vitrerie on Av Anatole France.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Another great clock by the way.