Help please!

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Help please!

Post by Kate »

received by email

I urgently require the services of a French civil engineer that speaks English. The local Marie have cut in a new road ( a fire escape track) and before they could support the work my garden, pool terrace and pool have slipped down the mountain. The Marie deny any responsibility saying it was the contractors fault. I have found a French solicitor from your site but we now need an engineer. I have two reports from English enginneers but they are both in English and were commissioned by my insurance company and not ideal to use as they are trying to get out of payment. The reports are so large it would cost well over 2.000 euros to translate.
Can you possibly assist me. The area is Laroque des Alberes 66.
Many thanks
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

What is a civil engineer called in French ? Don't understand why the insurance company has sent English ones out , surely they have French people who do this ?
It is your insurance company who has to get in touch with the insurance of the company who did the new road ( usually this is not the mairie workers who do this type of work , they contract it out ). Other than that you take a lawyer and they will go through the courts who will appoint someone to go and look and decide where the responsibility stands.
The mairie is correct in saying that they are not responsible for any of it, your solicitor must have ( or should have) told you that . It is the contractor who is responsibilty.
SteveB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SteveB »

Apparently a civil engineer is "ingénieur des travaux publics" according to Word Reference (a very useful site if you don't know it - http://www.wordreference.com/enfr/civil%20engineer).

Sounds a pretty desperate situation - I hope you find a satisfactory solution.