Wooden lipping

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Wooden lipping

Post by martyn94 »

I have recently installed a new kitchen, and am already regretting fitting a solid oak worktop: it's too high maintenance for someone as messy and lazy as me. I am tempted to bite the bullet and replace it with a tiled worktop, which I have used before and got good service.

I know the tiles I want, but I am reluctant to start without knowing how I will finish the exposed front edge. In the past I have found firms to provide hardwood stock milled to a pleasing profile (oak in UK and France, eucalyptus in Australia), but cursory research hasn't turned up a supplier round here.

Has anyone round here ever sourced anything like this? I will need a run of something over 3m long (mitred at one end with a short piece for the return to the wall), starting from timber with a section of about 35mm by 35mm.
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ariègeoise »

Easy to find, martyn - look in any brico shed at the various wood mouldings. I guess you want something like this: http://www.castorama.fr/store/Moulure-M ... 38080.html - you'll find 2,4 metres is the longest, but it can easily be joined.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Ariègeoise wrote:Easy to find, martyn - look in any brico shed at the various wood mouldings. I guess you want something like this: http://www.castorama.fr/store/Moulure-M ... 38080.html - you'll find 2,4 metres is the longest, but it can easily be joined.
Many thanks. But I'd rather avoid joins if I can. So I'm still on the lookout for something milled from scratch.
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

You will struggle to find what you are looking for in that sort of length , either put up with a joint and buy something off the shelf or have something machined from scratch .
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

interiors66 wrote:You will struggle to find what you are looking for in that sort of length , either put up with a joint and buy something off the shelf or have something machined from scratch .
Exactly. Machined from scratch is exactly what I want. But machined by who?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote:
interiors66 wrote:You will struggle to find what you are looking for in that sort of length , either put up with a joint and buy something off the shelf or have something machined from scratch .
http://www.sipo.fr/que_vendonsnous_.php

Sipo advertise that they make mouldings 'sur measure'
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

martyn94 wrote:
Any menuserie who works with wood. Only it's such a small job for them you'll have to find one willing to help,
What wrong with a joint?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

interiors66 wrote:
martyn94 wrote:
Any menuserie who works with wood. Only it's such a small job for them you'll have to find one willing to help,
What wrong with a joint?
Nothing terribly wrong with a joint. Except that it looks better without one; it's a lot easier to fix a single run of timber so that it stays fixed, and aligned; and it will stand up better to what recently have turned out to be quite sharp swings in temperature and humidity.

This has turned out to be bit like drawing teeth. Does anyone know of an actual firm, with actual timber, and actual woodworking equipment? I'll take on myself the task of persuading them to do it: I can come on the helpless dumb anglais as well as the next person, though I have usually found tradespeople happy to make a few sous.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote: This has turned out to be bit like drawing teeth. Does anyone know of an actual firm, with actual timber, and actual woodworking equipment? I'll take on myself the task of persuading them to do it: I can come on the helpless dumb anglais as well as the next person, though I have usually found tradespeople happy to make a few sous.
Martyn, I gave you the name of a firm 2 days ago, I haven't used them but their website makes it pretty clear that they will make mouldings to order

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:
martyn94 wrote: This has turned out to be bit like drawing teeth. Does anyone know of an actual firm, with actual timber, and actual woodworking equipment? I'll take on myself the task of persuading them to do it: I can come on the helpless dumb anglais as well as the next person, though I have usually found tradespeople happy to make a few sous.
Martyn, I gave you the name of a firm 2 days ago, I haven't used them but their website makes it pretty clear that they will there make mouldings to order

Of course you did, and my apologies for having passed it by. I buy almost anything feasible on line, particularly those things where the "costs of search" are relatively high and the costs of delivery are modest.

What I want is almost the polar opposite of that: a long thin piece of wood which would be insanely expensive to ship in a 3.5 metre length (350 metres would be fine), and which any local word-working shop could do in 15 minutes, and I'd stick it on the top of the car. What I need is the name of a firm, round here, that might do it.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Dylan
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

I can't recommend anyone personally for something so little but there is a place on saint Andre high street next to the post office that looks small enough .
Otherwise there is a place in canohes behind the intermarche , can't remember his name but he was not over enthusiastic when I asked for a small window to be made
jethro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jethro »

Try Louvier Menuiserie 0468896751 or fax your requirements to him on 0468896774. He's on the Z.I.Espace des Alberes Centre Commercial, just off the roundabout, chemin de la Gabarre.Loves oak.
an' the wun' cried Mary.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

interiors66 wrote:I can't recommend anyone personally for something so little but there is a place on saint Andre high street next to the post office that looks small enough .
Otherwise there is a place in canohes behind the intermarche , can't remember his name but he was not over enthusiastic when I asked for a small window to be made
Thanks.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

jethro wrote:Try Louvier Menuiserie 0468896751 or fax your requirements to him on 0468896774. He's on the Z.I.Espace des Alberes Centre Commercial, just off the roundabout, chemin de la Gabarre.Loves oak.
And thanks again.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

jethro wrote:Try Louvier Menuiserie 0468896751 or fax your requirements to him on 0468896774. He's on the Z.I.Espace des Alberes Centre Commercial, just off the roundabout, chemin de la Gabarre.Loves oak.
And thanks again.