Fosse Septique

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Fosse Septique

Post by neil mitchell »

Hi All.
I'm looking at a bit of land (3600 sqm) to build on. It has permission for a house but I have a feeling that mains drainage may be a problem. There is apparently a verbal agreement with neighbours about running pipework through other property but really not worth the paper that it isn't written on. I'm thinking that a fosse septique may be an alternative, more expensive of course but acceptable.
I have been told that you can no longer install a fosse septique in France and I'm not sure if that is true. I know that the rules have been very much tightened recently but I can't find any information which says they are banned.
Any thoughts.
Thank you.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Fosse Septique

Post by Allan »

neil mitchell wrote:Hi All.
I'm looking at a bit of land (3600 sqm) to build on. It has permission for a house but I have a feeling that mains drainage may be a problem. There is apparently a verbal agreement with neighbours about running pipework through other property but really not worth the paper that it isn't written on. I'm thinking that a fosse septique may be an alternative, more expensive of course but acceptable.
I have been told that you can no longer install a fosse septique in France and I'm not sure if that is true. I know that the rules have been very much tightened recently but I can't find any information which says they are banned.
Any thoughts.
Thank you.
They are not banned but controlled, they have to be inspected every 5 years and must conform to a strict code. Have a look at http://www.spanc66.fr. They are the body that controls everything. There are now modern alternatives to septic tanks which are worth considering.

They inspected mine a few years ago and told me that I had to replace it. They then very kindly gave me a €3,000 subsidy towards the cost.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

Hey Allan. Not just my IT guru but also my toilet guru!!! Great information, many thanks.