Waste disposal/ dechetteries

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Waste disposal/ dechetteries

Post by interiors66 »

Over the past few years our local dechetteries have moved with the times . At one time it was possible for professionals to take their rubbish to the local dechetterie with no problem.
A few years back my local dechetterie stopped the professionals from going in and sending us to another depot where they have a weigh bridge and therefore charge by the tonne . Of course "mates" were still let in .
So the last few years I've now had to try and separate my waste to keep costs down and take any waste I have to the dechetterie and tip it. I now pass on costs to the client.
Recently the only dechetterie I could use changed its bins which doesn't allow tipper vans to unload due to the high barrier. So unloading by hand now takes extra time. I have to now go to a private site if I want to "tip and go" which costs 160euros per tonne and is a 20 min drive further .
Today I turned up at the dechetterie with just cardboard which is free to tip for me but as the work still continues I was turned away as I was a "professional ", by the way there were still other vans unloading. I was told to take my load to the private site .
I managed to enter my local dechetterie and unload there without any problems.
This will affect all local tradesmen and don't be surprised if the amount of fly tipping now increases or prices on devis now escalate .
It's hard enough running a business here, it just got a little harder.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

When I first came to France a decade back our local tip was totally unregulated. Just an open site where you drove in and dumped wherever you could find a space. Things have indeed changed as described.

The only downside for me, as a private citizen, is that we can no longer scavenge. In former times it was posible to remove wood, for example. Kept our stove going a treat! Recycling in the purest form.

Gus