Shipmyshopping.com

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Shipmyshopping.com

Post by martyn94 »

Sue Faulkner has helpfully posted on the P-O Facebook page about this service. The website is slick, but it is not altogether easy to establish exactly how it works. But the upshot is that you buy UK groceries on a "click-and-collect" basis from one of the big UK chains, or order other things from UK retailers online for delivery to their UK address in Rotherham, and they bring it to a pick-up point here, at a time they nominate (Lidl near the station in Perpignan in our case) for a flat fee of 20% of the cost of the goods (subject to a minimum £20).

I have little nostalgia for Paxo stuffing etc, which is one reason why I rarely go back to the UK, and never with more than a Ryanair flight bag. But I do have a few residual yearnings for eg decent marmalade and bread flour, and UK-sized pillows and pillow-cases. So this service is just up my street if it delivers the goods (as it were).

I would be interested to know how it works in practice if anyone cares to try it ( I am not just being cowardly - my house is still a building site, and I am in no position to try).

The Perpignan run is done by a delivery service run by Paul Turner, who I dimly recall as an advertiser on P-O. So some here may already know his form.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Whey hey Martyn welcome to FB and glad we found something that interests you. :o
Dylan
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

The name doesnt ring any bells with me Martyn but I could be wrong as I dont deal with the advertising side. Would indeed be interesting to see if anyone has had any experience of this, cos if it actually works it could be really useful.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

www.forward2me.com do something similar. i have used their 'normal' service which is ok.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

montgolfiere wrote:www.forward2me.com do something similar. i have used their 'normal' service which is ok.
I think the difference is that these people don't repackage and redispatch by a conventional parcel service (UPS or whoever), but gather it up and bring it themselves - as a spin-off from a regular package/removal run that they are already doing from UK to PO.

Whether that makes it any better/cheaper I don't know: that's what I seek to find out.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

One afterthought - if you buy groceries, they will apparently include chilled goods up to a certain %age of your total order (kippers, bacon....).
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

I found this elsewhere on the net. I've got the OK from the author to copy it provided I don't say where it came from. Enjoy!

"They wait patiently, the exiles. Far away a P&O steamer is leaving Blighty. Deep in the bowels of the ship is a pantechnicon laden with reminders of home. The intrepid driver sleeps now. In preparation for the gruelling journey across the barren wastelands which separate the exiles from their beloved homeland.

The phone rings. A hushed voice gives them details of the rendezvous point. Soon, very soon, supplies will arrive and their days will once more be tolerable.

It is the hour. They have but a short time to collect their precious cargo. Time is of the essence. In the dark recesses of a hypermarket car park they gather. Many of them still with the RHD Rovers and Austins that they brought with them when they were cast out. A mobile phone rings. The hour of delivery is nigh. Out of the darkness looms the pantechnicon. They form an orderly queue. Each couple clutching the precious order form that will enable then, at last, to take possession of the long awaited packet.

And they melt away into the night. Carrying their precious boxes bearing the mythical marks of the purveyors of fine foods. Asda, Morrisons, Aldi to name but a few. Even, so it is rumoured, one from Fortnum and Mason.

In the quiet of their homes, they break open the long awaited packages and reverently handle the packs of Builder's Tea, the cans of Golden Syrup, the Prawn Flavoured Walker's Crisps. What delights they promise, what memories they revive. Tiny souvenirs of civilised living which make life bearable."
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I love that Merisin. Although I have read it before it still brings a smile to my face. So true for a lot of people .
Dylan